|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » D&D Tactics - Interview @ RPG Vault

Default D&D Tactics - Interview @ RPG Vault

July 3rd, 2007, 19:23
We've probably been remiss in not covering this handheld PSP game previously because the D&D license and turn-based combat puts in squarely in an area of interest…so, RPG Vault has an interview with lead designer Lee Brimmicombe-Wood from Kuju (who developed the MP aspect of Dark Messiah among other things):
Jonric: To begin with an introduction to D&D: Tactics, what kind of game is it, and what's the current status of development?

Lee Brimmicombe-Wood:
D&D Tactics is a turn-based tactics game. We felt this format was best suited to reproducing the feel of the tabletop game as it closely follows the combat rules in the Player's Handbook. We began the project back at the beginning of 2006 and the game is currently in submission with Sony.
More information.
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,967

Default 

July 3rd, 2007, 19:23
Thank god! An actual turn-based RPG! Decent 3D graphics! And real DnD, too! Hack and slash, but still!

And it's ONLY FOR THE PSP! WHYYY!!!

I can't believe I've heard no mention of this game. The article makes it look like it will be out in a couple weeks. Do I spend $169 just to play an turn-based rpg?
pnutz is offline

pnutz

SasqWatch

#2

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 47

Default 

July 3rd, 2007, 21:39
Releasedate: 24. July 2007

Sisaya

Guest

#3

Posts: n/a

Default 

July 3rd, 2007, 21:51
Dang, that looks really good. Between that and the upcoming Warhammer 40K: Squad Command also for the PSP, I'm sorely tempted to pick one up. I've been wanting a turn-based 40K game for ages, ever since I got an XP machine upon which Chaos Gate won't run.
Time to keep an eye on PSP prices methinks!

You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views, which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
Gallifrey is offline

Gallifrey

Gallifrey's Avatar
Keeper Of Traken

#4

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 658

Default 

July 8th, 2007, 18:50
I have an interview pending here at the Watch with these guys, and this has been on my 'Whole Game In My Hand' radar for *months* (so if you say you've never heard of it, I can make an assumption )

They still say they're hoping to hit the end of July release, which sounds great to me - some places are pegging it as 'September', but official word is still end of July.

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#5

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,411

Default 

July 8th, 2007, 19:20
I want to play this game but I can't see buying a psp for it. I'll wait and hope they smarten up and put it on the pc or play it in 10 years on some site like gametap.
roqua is offline

roqua

roqua's Avatar
Sentinel

#6

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 474

Default 

July 8th, 2007, 19:32
my thoughts exactly, prof roqua
xSamhainx is offline

xSamhainx

xSamhainx's Avatar
Paws of Doom

#7

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 4,664

Default 

July 8th, 2007, 21:53
They wouldn't release it for the PC platform, because it's like PC = Action. This is a must. Marketing experts believe that a game without any kindof action will FAIL on the PC !
Alrik Fassbauer is online now

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#8

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,982

Default 

July 9th, 2007, 03:41
Originally Posted by roqua View Post
I want to play this game but I can't see buying a psp for it. I'll wait and hope they smarten up and put it on the pc or play it in 10 years on some site like gametap.
My suggestion is to wait for me to buy it and see if I start frothing at the mouth over it, or if it is 'meh' like most of the stuff.

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#9

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,411

Default 

July 9th, 2007, 15:34
If you haven't already formulated your interview Mike, I wonder if you'd ask them about the PC aspect—it looks like the kind of old-school game that would appeal to a lot of rpg-ers, but like everybody else, I wouldn't buy a handheld to play it.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.
magerette is offline

magerette

magerette's Avatar
Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

#10

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,929

Default 

July 9th, 2007, 17:51
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
If you haven't already formulated your interview Mike, I wonder if you'd ask them about the PC aspect—it looks like the kind of old-school game that would appeal to a lot of rpg-ers, but like everybody else, I wouldn't buy a handheld to play it.
I already have completed the article, but I'll follow-up with the question.

[edit] I went ahead and asked, and the publisher contact is forwarding things along to the developer.

— Mike
Last edited by txa1265; July 9th, 2007 at 19:01. Reason: Add info.
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,411

Default 

July 9th, 2007, 21:15
Thanks, Mike. I was hoping to catch you before it was too late.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.
magerette is offline

magerette

magerette's Avatar
Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

#12

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,929

Default 

July 9th, 2007, 21:52
I think that game developers need to be far, far more respectful of the time of the player. Leisure time is precious. We should not waste it. We shouldn’t burn time at the beginning making the player grind out levels before he or she can get into the plot. We shouldn’t burn time with faction grinding and trash clearing. We shouldn’t pad the game out with tons of B material.
I really identify with Jeff's comments about leisure time being precious and not to be wasted. Married with 2 children and a full time job, I really don't want to waste what little free time I have on anything boring and repetitive. After having wasted 2 hours watching The Wicker Man, my wife and I were so upset because we threw away 2 precious free-time hours on such a dumb movie.

At the same time, Just 8 years ago I would feel quite different on the subject. 8 Years ago I wasn't married, I had no children, no mortgage payment, only a part time job and was in school. Just 8 years ago I had a lot of free time compared to my life as it is now.

I think Jeff only goes wrong in assuming everyone has little free time. Some people are at points in their lives where they have an abundance of free time and therefore might find 'B' content as adding a lot of value to their gaming experience. These people could be younger kids or retired adults. Whoever they are, they do exist because I see their characters whenever I log into WOW with items I'll never ever have.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#13

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,982

Default 

July 9th, 2007, 22:22
… are you in the right thread?

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#14

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,411

Default 

July 9th, 2007, 23:27
Now THAT would be unique….Jeff Vogel using D-n-D ruleset 3.5….
Wulf is offline

Wulf

Wulf's Avatar
Inquisitor

#15

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North-West England
Posts: 1,106

Default 

July 10th, 2007, 13:15
That PSP starts to get more and more titles that I want…
JemyM is offline

JemyM

JemyM's Avatar
Okay, now roll sanity.

#16

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,028
Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Default 

July 10th, 2007, 14:08
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
Now THAT would be unique….Jeff Vogel using D-n-D ruleset 3.5….
I think that a DS game in the Avernum / Geneforge line would be amazing …

Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
That PSP starts to get more and more titles that I want…
That is true, but it seems that the DS is doing better at delivering the goods rather than just the promise …

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#17

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,411

Default 

July 10th, 2007, 20:49
Originally Posted by pnutz View Post
Thank god! An actual turn-based RPG! Decent 3D graphics! And real DnD, too! Hack and slash, but still!

And it's ONLY FOR THE PSP! WHYYY!!!
Let me echo that? Why? Why? Why? Why is it that the only effort being put into a new and turn-based D&D game is on a damn handheld? Besides the expansion pack for NWN 2, there doens't appear to be anything else on the PC at all right now. And how has the PSP proven itself as a successful platform for turn-based Western strategy games?
Last edited by doctor_kaz; July 10th, 2007 at 20:58.
doctor_kaz is offline

doctor_kaz

Keeper of the Watch

#18

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 622

Default 

July 10th, 2007, 20:57
Doesn't the PSP have a fair number of turn-based JRPGs? That might explain why someone thought that D&D Tactics should go onto that platform.

I don't have a PSP, but I really like the look of this game. I'd love a good old-school dungeon hack in the 3.5 D&D ruleset.
PatrickWeekes is offline

PatrickWeekes

Sentinel

#19

Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 261

Default 

July 10th, 2007, 21:22
Originally Posted by PatrickWeekes View Post
Doesn't the PSP have a fair number of turn-based JRPGs?
There are two sets of turn-based games on the PSP:

1. Final Fantasy style games - free roam but with turn-based combat:
- Final Fantasy 20th Ann. Edition - you are better off with the GBA FF I & II pack.
- Legend of Heroes I, II, and III - very average games obviously derivative of FF. Nice stuff, but not worth buying a PSP … or paying full price … or owning more than one.
- Tales of Eternia - EU only (and Japan), nice FF style game, terrible load times.
- Astonishia Story - really lousy in every way.
- Popolocrois - sweet and harmless and generic.
- Upcoming: Final Fantasy II - see above.
- Upcoming: Riviera - another GBA port, but this time with more stuff. I'll let you know.

2. Tile-based strategy or sRPG's:
- Field Commander - sub-par Advance Wars clone
- Generation of Chaos - sRPG that is as bad as the title.
- Aedis Eclipse - follow-up to Generation of Chaos, featured in this article. Pretty average.
- The Lord of the Rings: Tactics - blargh, blargh, BARF!!!
- Spectral Souls - really crappy with some of the worst load times on the PSP.
- Upcoming: Joan of Arc - mixed reviews from the Japanese version.

… that is most, and I was too lazy to link the others to articles and/or reviews …

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#20

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,411
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » D&D Tactics - Interview @ RPG Vault
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:17.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch