|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gamasutra - Candid Advice About Crowdfunding

Default Gamasutra - Candid Advice About Crowdfunding

October 6th, 2013, 05:03
Gamasutra has a new article were industry veterans give advice about crowdfunding.

With crowdfunding turning into the first port of call for many developers looking to launch a new project, today's IndieCade crowdfunding panel — led by Loot Drop co-founder (and unsuccessful Kickstarter project founder) Brenda Romero — imparted a healthy dose of practical advice in addition to some cautious optimism.

"When [co-developer Tom Hall] and I launched our Kickstarter, we were the cutting edge. In two days, we were out of date," said Brenda Romero. "It doesn't feel like a failure. Kickstarter prevented a game from being made that had a flaw. I like to say Kickstarter saved me a year's worth of work."

Joining Romero on the panel were Max Temkin (Cards Against Humanity), Chris Avellone (Project Eternity, Wasteland 2) and nine-year-old Kenzie Wilson, who with her entrepreneur mother Susan launched a Kickstarter to fund her admission to a game development summer camp. Each brought a distinct perspective to the panel's topic.
More information.

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

October 6th, 2013, 05:04
Brenda Romero and a 9-year-old sound like great information sources for someone interested in being successful on Kickstarter.

Stingray

Sentinel

October 6th, 2013, 05:16
God damned Kenzie Wilson who got a "fund my life" project okayed by the hypocritical overlords of Kickstarter. Essentially, a project based on the humiliation of the two older boys in the family. If you look into it, the family (esp. Susan Wilson) is a shyster using crowd funding to trick dumb people out of their money using "feel good" gimmicks. She (Susan Wilson) finally hit the right note, using the ongoing gender politics of video games to dupe a bunch of fools.

Yeah, what a joke. And you put these clowns near industry greats. What an insult.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx

PegasusOrgans

Watchdog

October 6th, 2013, 05:19
Yeah, wasn't going to get into that here since it's fairly off-topic, but I followed that whole controversy, and that Kickstarter was a serious disgrace. The fact Kickstarter didn't shut it down is a knock on their credibility. The fact that woman and her daughter were allowed onto this panel is flat out ridiculous.

Stingray

Sentinel

October 6th, 2013, 13:00
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Brenda Romero and a 9-year-old sound like great information sources for someone interested in being successful on Kickstarter.
+1

Brenda, MCA and a 9 yo sound like a fun crowd though

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gamasutra - Candid Advice About Crowdfunding