|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Games Reviews & Comments » White Gold - War in Paradise

Default White Gold - War in Paradise

October 16th, 2007, 16:05
More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 18th, 2007, 22:39
Well, after seeing the trailer, I guess everything qualifies for an RPG nowadays…

MasterLich

Watchdog

October 18th, 2007, 23:35
Boiling Point was most definitely a valid action/RPG and this is a sequel that keeps similar but improved mechanics. Absolutely qualifies as an RPG.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 19th, 2007, 10:12
OK, I'll have to check Boiling Point again, I thought it was a shooter.

MasterLich

Watchdog

October 19th, 2007, 10:53
I wouldn't call it an RPG although it certainly has some aspects that are normally found in RPGs, really good game though, can't wait for war in paradise.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

October 19th, 2007, 19:32
I thought it (BP) was every bit as much of a RPG as Oblivion - the only difference is shooter vs. fantasy.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

October 19th, 2007, 23:45
Boiling Point looked really interesting to me, but I never checked it out. The reviews were pretty dire in warnings of bugs and performance issues, so I stayed away. Doubly so since I don't buy games un-tested (demo or otherwise).

So what's the truth of the matter on Boiling Point? Good? Not so good?

You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views, which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

Gallifrey

Keeper Of Traken

October 19th, 2007, 23:59
This was my take about two-and-a-half years ago.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

October 20th, 2007, 11:21
I bought Boiling Point a year ago and after having played it for a period of time, I stopped because it was simply too bug-filled. It has a lot of bugs, so I would not advise you to buy it, Gallifrey. Furthermore there are some annoying gameplay elements in Boiling Point such as medicine addiction and required sleep. They hadn't quite balanced that sufficiently.
Overall the game is interesting but it just has too many bugs. At least that was my perception of Boiling Point.

Steam | Google

Asbjoern

N'wah

October 21st, 2007, 07:00
Well the final patch was released and it's much more stable now, if you have it or find it a a resonable price, you should definably check it out.
So I disagree with Asbjoern and it honestly sounds as if he has never played with the final patch, it's version 2.0 EU, here is a link.
http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/7165…Patch+2.0+-+EU

It's a very creative attempt, which was forced out early by atari whom was in bankrupcty at the time, similar to what was done to G3.

I am sort of shock, why wouldn't BP qualify as a RPG?
Obviously just saying it isn't an RPG be bogus, so list an example of why it's not an RPG, please.

Here just to be fair I will start first here is a quick short list.

Multiple factions to gain and lose relations with, gaining gets you more quests with a faction while losing prevents quests.

Multiple endings, iirc but I usually play good, so I don't check all possible endings.

Stat increases through usage, like oblivion, which I honestly don't like much about it, but still Stats and progression is a RPG feature, afaik.

Multiple dialog choices and ways of completing quests.

I highly suggest if you play this to visit a RPGWatch forum member's [the nefarious Shadowmoses ] fan site, here.
http://www.xenus-hq.net/index.php?l=…on=en/news.php

For a couple Mods, most importantly the No Horns mod, it replaces the annoying and constant horn honking of the AI.

Also we are talking about a huge openworld RPG, in many respects it's a budget title, yet it can be extremely fun, if you like Shooter RPGs like Deus Ex.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

October 21st, 2007, 15:10
Nope, I did update to version 2.0. But perhaps something went wrong. I'm not to say.

Steam | Google

Asbjoern

N'wah

October 21st, 2007, 22:44
Oh well, maybe if White Gold turns out well, now they have a better publisher than crappy atari, you will have more luck and fun.

It certainly never got the polish of a AAA title and was/is only a B title with much potential, as I hope can be done in White Gold.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

October 29th, 2007, 14:42
I agree with Acleacius that BP was quite good and very underrated, especially as it included almost everything that latter games like STALKER promised but didn't deliver. If they can get rid of the bugs for White Gold this could be a sleeper hit, but I'm even more curious about Precursors!

Wesp5

Unofficial Patcher

December 14th, 2007, 19:52
They have some BAD drivers in town. Everynow and then they'll run down one of their buddies and kill them. At the checkpoints you have to be careful to not get to close to the guards or you could accidently run them over and kill them. They get a bit miffed at you for killin their buddy.

The driving was pretty good outside of town. The AI seemed to do a good job at staying on the road when driving from town to town.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

January 9th, 2008, 13:21
its a nice game. I want to download it, could you tell me the url from where i get the game.

sean009

Traveler

January 9th, 2008, 18:44
Sorry, dude, it's still being sold. Check the usual places for it. http://www.amazon.com/Atari-25610-Bo…/dp/B0006UJUA0

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

January 10th, 2008, 08:17
yep budy you are right….

sean009

Traveler

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Games Reviews & Comments » White Gold - War in Paradise