|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Summoner released on GoG.

Default Summoner released on GoG.

February 25th, 2014, 12:10
With 20% off:

http://www.gog.com/game/summoner

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

February 25th, 2014, 12:12
I seem to remember this being somewhat decent back in the day….

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

February 25th, 2014, 12:18
It was actually a very good game. Unfortunately, Summoner 2 was only released for consoles!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

February 25th, 2014, 12:41
I played it through, but found it tedious towards the end. Some nice plot ideas, though.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

February 25th, 2014, 13:36
That game was fun.
And I lost it, wanted to replay it couple of years ago but couldn't find it anywhere.
Thanks to GOG, I will be replaying it soon.

But I do remember two things I didn't like. One was collecting some statue parts, can't remember what exact problem was with those now, probably those objects were barely visible and while such stuff works in adventures with static backgrounds, you can't put pixelhunting in RPG. Another thing was some desert where you had to walk over and over again and deal with endless random encounters just to get a certain encounter needed for something, I can't remember what was that something, but I do remember being frustrated getting all other grindy encounters just not the one I need.

Summoner 2 was console only title as Corwin already said so I dunno was it fun or not. But because of the decision to put it only on consoles, it won't be available on GOG which means they don't get more sales and more cash today. Their choice, their problem, their loss.
And when something is a console exclusive, sorry but I can only quote Corwin and say that it's most probably:
RUBBISH!!

Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; February 25th, 2014 at 14:05.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

February 26th, 2014, 11:23
Random encounters - yes, this game had many of them.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 2nd, 2014, 06:08
First half of the game, you mainly have random encounters in 3 different areas. Forest, Plains and Mountianous, in each case you need to stand/wander in that specific area. The easiest way to make this bearable is save while at the bridge in the main city. Then zone, go to the area you need like the Forest (hilly area, not on mountain) if you don't get the correct layout, i.e. Forest Day with Imps, then reload try again. This way you don't waste anytime with random nonsense. Here's the first half of the game…

Spoiler

So in this example if you get the random Grassland Day, only seeing Bacites or Hills Night with Imp, Oni and Rokhul, reload. It's much nicer, cuts down the play time to about 15 hours instead of 20 plus from all the random useless levels and walking.

The (secret?) quest/objective of getting all the Summoner gear is the hardest, mostly in the second half of the game. Iirc, it's mostly on random maps, so I can post the second half maps if anyone wants, since some you can't go back to once you leave Onaria(sp?).

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

March 10th, 2014, 15:18
The IP got sold to Nordic Games, if I remember correctly, and they considered it a 'valuable IP'. Though whether that will ever result in a new Summoner game…

Summoner I (and II) were a bit unusual in that, beneath an extremely generic surface (Medeva = Medieval Europe, Orenia = the Orient aka China / Japan), it was fairly fresh and creative. II went even further into that direction, but lack of commercial success meant the end of the franchise.

Then again, as RPG's they were flawed (opponent AI, ugh…), and the visuals were, from a technical perspective (and sometimes design-wise as well) pretty ho-hum. But man, do I wish Volition had stayed in the CRPG game (same with Freespace and the space combat sim, sniff )

Anyway, I will certainly pick this one up. I somehow lost my original copy of the game.

Fluffyhotep

Watcher

March 19th, 2014, 01:31
I think I have an original Mac Box still unopened, lol, sort of steam before steam. :-)

Ihaterpg

Banned

March 19th, 2014, 13:04
I liked the plot
quite a lot.
The gameplay as such
not that much.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 25th, 2014, 12:54
The story was indeed kinda cool
and genuinely worth some drool
but gameplay weaknesses, true but sad,
meant the franchise ended up…dead

Fluffyhotep

Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Summoner released on GoG.