|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics & Religion » Pope Francis describes ‘ideological Christians’ as a ‘serious illness’

Default Pope Francis describes ‘ideological Christians’ as a ‘serious illness’

August 22nd, 2014, 23:01
Originally Posted by RedSocialKnight View Post
I'll just comment to say how sorry I am to see you use the word "meek" as if it were a kind of spiritual weakness.

It isn't.
It depends on the context.

It is a strong trait of character when pertaining to personal humility, as the Lord instructs us to humble ourselves.

However, it is a sign of spiritual weakness when it comes to being compromising on God's Word.

Corwin I'm very sorry I haven't replied yet, I want to post a more researched answer but I've not had the time yet. I'll get to it soon. I appreciate these exchanges greatly.

Humanity has risen!

Watchdog

August 23rd, 2014, 17:28
I'll just comment to say how sorry I am to see you use the word "meek" as if it were a kind of spiritual weakness.

It isn't.
You're right, it's usually more of a smug self satisfaction that marginalizes those that don't hold similar delusions.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

August 23rd, 2014, 20:49
Lol, I think the two responses to my post would be more interested in having this disagreement with each other than with me.

I will say that I've never seen the slightest weakness for compromise in either the liberal or conservative wings of my own church — everybody's been vehemently denouncing each other to the general assembly for the past like, twenty years. That is exactly the reason I prefer to keep my focus on my own community rather than venturing into denominational conflict.

RedSocialKnight

the stronger, slower one

August 23rd, 2014, 23:07
Lol, I think the two responses to my post would be more interested in having this disagreement with each other than with me.

I will say that I've never seen the slightest weakness for compromise in either the liberal or conservative wings of my own church — everybody's been vehemently denouncing each other to the general assembly for the past like, twenty years. That is exactly the reason I prefer to keep my focus on my own community rather than venturing into denominational conflict.
Denominational conflicts… Hey why not? I believe they used to argue about how many angels you could get on the head of a pin. Just as long as you long as you don't wish to wish to behead (or whatever) those who get to a different answer.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

August 23rd, 2014, 23:18
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
By any reasonable definition, a crucifix IS still a graven image which is forbidden in the Bible!!
Not really, depending on how you define it. First off a graven image of…? A cross is not anthropomorphized, it's just a symbol.

Second, what is worship? You are not worshipping the cross, you are just using it as a focus of your worship, a symbol.

Also simply painting Jesus is not the same as worshipping a graven image, either.

It's pretty clear they are just talking about pagan nonsense like worshipping an idol of a bird and calling it a bird god. The problem here is just that the english language itself doesn't make it easy to differentiate. It's classic case of taking things way too literally. Just like the holy rollers and snake handlers.

If it worked the way you say then Jesus would never have had any symbols in the first place.

ManWhoJaped

Keeper of the Watch

August 24th, 2014, 00:29
HE didn't!! BTW, a cross and a crucifix are NOT the same thing!! Just check out Exodus 20:4 in any translation and note that it is MAKING which is forbidden.

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

August 24th, 2014, 02:20
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
HE didn't!! BTW, a cross and a crucifix are NOT the same thing!! Just check out Exodus 20:4 in any translation and note that it is MAKING which is forbidden.
You are just being too literal. Jesus did have a symbol anyway, the sign of the fish. I am shocked you don't know this.

ManWhoJaped

Keeper of the Watch

August 24th, 2014, 03:21
The fish symbol probably originated in the centuries after Christ.

Of course, Christ uses symbolic language in the gospels all the time.

RedSocialKnight

the stronger, slower one

August 25th, 2014, 00:13
Correct, the fish symbol was never used by Jesus. Symbolic language is not the same as using symbols. The fish symbol is actually a reference to Icthus (which means fish) the letters of which stand for Jesus Christ King of the Jews as in the sign placed by Pilot over him on the cross.

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics & Religion » Pope Francis describes ‘ideological Christians’ as a ‘serious illness’