|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Memory of Eldurim - A Open World ARPG

Default The Memory of Eldurim - A Open World ARPG

October 27th, 2013, 22:32
Count me in too, once the KS launches.

Exitus acta probat.
wiretripped is offline

wiretripped

wiretripped's Avatar
Machiavellian

#21

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leuven, BE
Posts: 736

Default 

October 27th, 2013, 22:42
Looks good and, like most noticed, reminds me of Gothic 3.

They are using CryEngine 3 so they can focus more on story and gameplay.

If they want to do anything near Gothic, then they should focus on: world simulation and world interaction that narrates a strong story. Otherwise, it will be a generic, linear hack and slash game.
SpoonFULL is offline

SpoonFULL

SpoonFULL's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#22

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,443

Default 

October 28th, 2013, 07:35
Looks like they have a pre-alpha demo available for download. Anyone tried it yet?
Donkerman is offline

Donkerman

SasqWatch

#23

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South Africa
Posts: 31

Default 

October 28th, 2013, 17:05
Hey everyone!

I'm the guy talking in the video and one of the 3 main developers of the game. I found this post and stopped in and stopped in to answer anyone's questions.

A few things:

Thank you so much for checking out our game. We have been working really, really hard on it and we are not done yet.

The graphics are going to get a lot better very soon as we just got an environmental artists interested in working with us. This is better in 2 ways. First he is a better artist in every way than we are, and second, since we don't have to worry about art as much we are going to be focusing even more on gameplay.

Anyone and everyone can download the demo, but please remember we are still in early alpha and it will be a bit rough around the edges. Expect updates though, we have released 3 in less than a month and another is coming out very soon.
ekcell is offline

ekcell

Traveler

#24

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 8

Default 

October 28th, 2013, 17:48
Thanks for the personal update, ekcell. You can't believe how much more money you'll make from us just by posting here and giving feedback. Your few minutes will be well rewarded, I promise. I will also back this once the KS is launched.

'nut
crpgnut is offline

crpgnut

crpgnut's Avatar
Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

#25

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA
Posts: 3,971

Default 

October 28th, 2013, 18:52
Originally Posted by ekcell View Post
Hey everyone!

I'm the guy talking in the video and one of the 3 main developers of the game. I found this post and stopped in and stopped in to answer anyone's questions.

A few things:

The graphics are going to get a lot better very soon as we just got an environmental artists interested in working with us. This is better in 2 ways. First he is a better artist in every way than we are, and second, since we don't have to worry about art as much we are going to be focusing even more on gameplay.
.
Graphics are fine to me but when you guys go gold I hope you can implement a living world. Day and Night cycles, people hanging out at night and working in the day. Looking forward to the game.
Dajjer is offline

Dajjer

Dajjer's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#26

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 1,071

Default 

October 28th, 2013, 19:08
Originally Posted by Dajjer View Post
Graphics are fine to me but when you guys go gold I hope you can implement a living world. Day and Night cycles, people hanging out at night and working in the day. Looking forward to the game.
Day and night cycle are already in and the world has fully dynamic lighting thanks to the CryEngine.

We are going to be working on NPCs a lot. I think player NPC interaction is very important in order to make your game immersive.
ekcell is offline

ekcell

Traveler

#27

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 8

Default 

October 28th, 2013, 19:12
Originally Posted by ekcell View Post
Day and night cycle are already in and the world has fully dynamic lighting thanks to the CryEngine.

We are going to be working on NPCs a lot. I think player NPC interaction is very important in order to make your game immersive.
That's great. I guess my last request is that you guy make sure you have manual saves. None of that check point crap. If it takes you two more months for the game to go gold then so be it.

Respect the gamer and his time . . . .
Dajjer is offline

Dajjer

Dajjer's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#28

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 1,071

Default 

October 28th, 2013, 19:54
Originally Posted by ekcell
Hey everyone!

I'm the guy talking in the video and one of the 3 main developers of the game. I found this post and stopped in and stopped in to answer anyone's questions.
Nice to see you giving a comment here at rpgwatch.
Graphics are fine for me aswell since they remind me of the old gothic.

Nevertheless keep up the good work and keep an eye out how the old gothic game mechanics worked and same goes for elderscrolls-morrowind game mechanics.
Last edited by ikbenrichard; October 28th, 2013 at 20:53.
ikbenrichard is offline

ikbenrichard

ikbenrichard's Avatar
Fulltime RPG watcher

#29

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 780

Default 

October 28th, 2013, 20:16
Originally Posted by ikbenrichard View Post

Nice to see you giving a comment here at rpgwatch.
Graphics are fine for me aswell since they remind me of the old gothic.

Nevertheless keep up the good work and keep an eye out how the old gothic game mechanics worked and same goes for elderscrolls-morrowind game mechanics.
Thank for your comments. I'm going to look into gothic. It looks pretty cool.
ekcell is offline

ekcell

Traveler

#30

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 8

Default 

October 28th, 2013, 20:27
Originally Posted by ekcell View Post
Thank for your comments. I'm going to look into gothic. It looks pretty cool.
ahh man, disappointing . . , you should know GOTHIC

but I guess you're just a young developer whippersnapper, so sonny you make sure you take your self on over to gog.com and check it out.

now where did I put my tabaccy

(vigorously smacking lips)

that'll do ya.
Dajjer is offline

Dajjer

Dajjer's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#31

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 1,071

Default 

October 28th, 2013, 20:41
Originally Posted by Dajjer View Post
ahh man, disappointing . . , you should know GOTHIC
Think of it this way, it means they won't be copying the unintuitive controls of Gothic 1! (Hopefully)

The Gothic games are good example for NPC behaviors and I really liked the trading system in them as well.


And the graphics of Memory of Eldurim are fine by my standards (I'm more a art style than super-realism person though). Gameplay and immersion should really be the focus. Graphics tend the be the easiest part to update after release, unless you need to change the engine…
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#32

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,712

Default 

October 28th, 2013, 20:51
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post

And the graphics of Memory of Eldurim are fine by my standards (I'm more a art style than super-realism person though). Gameplay and immersion should really be the focus. Graphics tend the be the easiest part to update after release, unless you need to change the engine…
Good point about the graphics. Too bad you need shiny things for a good sell which is the ultimate goal i guess for a developer.
ikbenrichard is offline

ikbenrichard

ikbenrichard's Avatar
Fulltime RPG watcher

#33

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 780

Default 

October 28th, 2013, 20:56
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Think of it this way, it means they won't be copying the unintuitive controls of Gothic 1! (Hopefully)

The Gothic games are good example for NPC behaviors and I really liked the trading system in them as well.


And the graphics of Memory of Eldurim are fine by my standards (I'm more a art style than super-realism person though). Gameplay and immersion should really be the focus. Graphics tend the be the easiest part to update after release, unless you need to change the engine…
I have no discrimination towards the age of games. We have taken some inspiration from several MUDs that we have played and we have also takes inspiration from some of the newest AAA titles.

I don't know every game, but if someone ever tells me that they particularly like a certain aspect of a certain game I make it my business to see why they love it from their perspective.

I wish I had the time to play every game in existence and find out what it has to offer to the world.

I can hardly express to you how much I desire to create a game that is great in every way. I want every single aspect of this game to be great, and we don't plan stopping it's development as long as there are people who will buy the game or support us in some way.

I think what we are doing now, discussing back and forth, is what is missing from the gaming industry and I want to add that change in our development, and make this game amazing.
ekcell is offline

ekcell

Traveler

#34

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 8

Default 

October 28th, 2013, 21:30
Originally Posted by ekcell View Post
I think what we are doing now, discussing back and forth, is what is missing from the gaming industry and I want to add that change in our development, and make this game amazing.
It is there, an example is the highly anticipated game Wasteland2.
However discussing to a certain extend is great but if it is done to much you get a game that tries to please everyone and that is the same as a disaster . Its also time consuming and we live in an age where time is money. Guess its a good reason why discussing isnt that excepted in this industry.
ikbenrichard is offline

ikbenrichard

ikbenrichard's Avatar
Fulltime RPG watcher

#35

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 780

Default 

October 28th, 2013, 21:33
Don't mean to curb your enthusiasm ekcell but I hope that you guys do know the difference between aspirations and possibilities. I would strongly advise you to read at least some of the threads about other Kickstart projects (successful and not) posted here at RPGWatch.
"A game that is great in every way" sounds terrific but, like any perfection, it would require infinite amount of time and effort to achieve.
Last edited by zahratustra; October 28th, 2013 at 21:48.
zahratustra is offline

zahratustra

SasqWatch

#36

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,497

Default 

October 28th, 2013, 21:47
Originally Posted by zahratustra View Post
Don't mean to curb your enthusiasm ekcell but I hope that you guys know the difference between aspirations and possibilities. I would strongly advise you to read at least some of the threads about other Kickstart projects (successful and not) posted here at RPGWatch.
You are right to warn about Kickstarter as enthusiasm doesn't make a project successful.

We have been working on our Kickstarter page for several months now and have done extensive research, we understand that failure is a very real possibility, don't mistake my belief in our project as naivety.

Only the future will tell if we are successful or laughed off the internet. I have a hope that as we strive to interact with the community, answer questions, and listen to concerns we will, at the very least, get the chance to talk to some cool people and exchange cool ideas.
ekcell is offline

ekcell

Traveler

#37

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 8

Default 

October 29th, 2013, 02:20
Very nice demo! As far as graphics go, it's ok to keep it simple. And looking like Gothic is good thing around here. Don't really appreciate a stylized cartoony or comic book or overly colorful look. Focus on the character building/specialization + exploration + gameplay + story/characters and you'll succeed.

Good luck!
Thrasher is online now

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#38

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10,431

Default 

October 30th, 2013, 21:26
Is it possible to play the demo offline? The game reports offline version only but when clicking to play, a pop up appears to state that this application cant work offline and the game never loads.
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#39

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,261

Default 

October 31st, 2013, 21:22
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
Is it possible to play the demo offline? The game reports offline version only but when clicking to play, a pop up appears to state that this application cant work offline and the game never loads.
Hey, another dev for the game here, and unfortunately right now you have to be online due to using CryTek's FreeSDK. They are working on getting us a custom login-less build (should be coming this week hopefully), that will allow the game to be played offline.
cozzbp is offline

cozzbp

Watcher

#40

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 20
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Memory of Eldurim - A Open World ARPG
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:22.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch