|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Live in the U.S.? Want to be envious of South Korea?

Default Live in the U.S.? Want to be envious of South Korea?

October 28th, 2013, 04:19

Sigh… heh. As I sit in nothern Florida, renting a modem from my ISP for 10mbs service.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

October 28th, 2013, 04:24
Yep the Good Ole USA is behind allot of country's when it comes to internet speeds. Were usually given the excuse about how small the other country's are compared to us.

Me I think it has to do with lack of competition, and options.

"Frankly Sir /Madam I don't give a damn about your opinion."- Couchpotato
Last edited by Couchpotato; October 28th, 2013 at 04:44.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

October 28th, 2013, 04:41
Hey at least you guys made the list.

badmofo

Tired but happy

October 28th, 2013, 18:50
As a side note : Yes, you don't see Germany there. Yes, it's that bad … I'm not joking.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

October 28th, 2013, 19:49
Germany is on this one:

…still a better value than the U.S. Although, to play devil's advocate, they *are* comparing three of the highest cost-of-living U.S. cities.

Both of these charts are from a BBC article.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

November 10th, 2013, 00:58
Look at those prices! San Fransisco doesn't exactly seem like the best place for geeks.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

November 10th, 2013, 02:29
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Look at those prices! San Fransisco doesn't exactly seem like the best place for geeks.
After the housing prices, that monthly internet is a pittance …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

November 10th, 2013, 11:14
I would like to see where Sweden would be on the list, i reckon we're not that far behind South Korea. I have a 100Mbps broadband connection and I pay about 25$/month…

tomasp3n

Watchamacallit?

November 19th, 2013, 03:09
Most rural areas in Germany are still stuck with no DSL or slow DSL (<3Mbits). The price is always the same though: 25-50 for a flat rate, often with phone.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

November 20th, 2013, 16:28
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
Most rural areas in Germany are still stuck with no DSL or slow DSL (<3Mbits). The price is always the same though: 25-50€ for a flat rate, often with phone.
I wish — my parents are still running at ISDN (7 kb/sec) with no flat rate available whatsoever; they have to pay per minute (!). I mean, how smegged up is that?

Originally they were supposed to get DSL about 12 years ago. Work was finally begun this year to get the village connected with optical fiber cable. Was supposed to be finished by Christmas but progress was interrupted by some nature guys who wanted to protect one or two trees.

Personally I'm sitting right next to a VDSL switch site and could get 50 Mbps, but since it's owned by the Telekom and I'm with another provider, I only get ~10 max out of "up to 16 Mbps" I pay for.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

November 20th, 2013, 17:35
what is the reason for the high prices in US? not enough competition between providers?

lostforever

Keeper of the Watch

November 20th, 2013, 17:55
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
what is the reason for the high prices in US? not enough competition between providers?
That's it mostly. You're looking at an infrastructure installation pretty much anywhere you go (which also contributes to the high cost), so the providers tend to create "exclusive service areas" by not overlapping their installations much.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

November 21st, 2013, 05:56
Google Fiber is on the way.

EVENTUALLY

Dang Google Fiber adds have been hitting me every time I watch a YouTube video. Upgrade to Gigabit speed! Check the website… nope. Not in your area yet, check back later. It's been that way for over a year now. This is cruel and unusual!

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

November 21st, 2013, 14:49
No sympathy shall ye get. They put in fiber to the west of me to connect the county school and university. Campus is like 1/4 mile from my house. They put in fiber to the east of me to connect the city school and industrial park. That's maybe 5 miles. They've been "planning" to tie in the residential region in between for a year now. Oh no, I'll just enjoy my 3MB DSL line that drops to maybe 1MB after working hours due to excessive loading. Grrr.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

November 21st, 2013, 15:58
mostly about Couch's comment:

Well another piece of the price pie is coverage. How hard is it to cover a little bitty country like South Korea versus the massive United States? Everybody has to pay the piper so that Joe Blow in the boondocks can have internet Europeans that have not traveled extensively in the United States have no idea how large this country is. We are 96 times larger than South Korea. That's a lot of infrastructure

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

November 21st, 2013, 16:02
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
mostly about Couch's comment:

Well another piece of the price pie is coverage. How hard is it to cover a little bitty country like South Korea versus the massive United States? Everybody has to pay the piper so that Joe Blow in the boondocks can have internet Europeans that have not traveled extensively in the United States have no idea how large this country is. We are 96 times larger than South Korea. That's a lot of infrastructure
That's nothing but an excuse even if it's true. It still doesn't explain the lack of competition, high prices, and false advertising that is going on right now.

"Frankly Sir /Madam I don't give a damn about your opinion."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

November 21st, 2013, 16:03
I agree. My thing is just a little piece of the pie. I work at a company with a ton of infrastructure. You wouldn't believe how much it costs to stretch network over a couple hundred yards.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

November 21st, 2013, 22:44
Nut, just to put your comment in perspective, Oz is as large as the US, with a fraction of the number of people, yet while needing the same amount of infrastructure to cover the land mass, we have FAR fewer people to pay for it (22 million) yet our costs are similar to your I believe.

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

November 22nd, 2013, 03:19
How does bandwidth usage figure into this? I keep hearing Europeans complaining about how some patch showed up on Steam and blew them past their download caps. I don't really know how high the caps are, though, or what the penalty is for going over them.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

November 22nd, 2013, 04:54
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Nut, just to put your comment in perspective, Oz is as large as the US, with a fraction of the number of people, yet while needing the same amount of infrastructure to cover the land mass, we have FAR fewer people to pay for it (22 million) yet our costs are similar to your I believe.
Not even close, Corwin Here is a good way to compare infrastructure. Most every place that has internet will also have electricity and roads. While Australia is about 4/5ths the size of the US, it doesn't have anywhere near the infrastructure. Australia has 810,624 km of roads to cover the places where people live. The USA has 6,341,421 km of roads. Vastly more infrastructure because of vastly higher population. The same is true with the internet, mostly. Satellite versions of internet access truly mess with my scenario though

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o…d_network_size

'nut
Last edited by crpgnut; November 22nd, 2013 at 04:56. Reason: forgot to list source for data

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Live in the U.S.? Want to be envious of South Korea?