|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » South Park - Delayed to March 2014

Default South Park - Delayed to March 2014

November 1st, 2013, 07:10
Ubisoft announces that South Park: The Stick of Truth is delayed to March 4, 2014. It joins the ever increasing amout of games being delayed this month.

Why the new delay? Well, when Ubisoft picked up the game, we thought: Easy. We’ll put some marketing muscle behind Stick of Truth, toss some additional development resources at it, then take it to the finish line with Matt Stone and Trey Parker. The game’s almost done, anyways – so what more could we do?

Apparently, quite a bit more. “Within three weeks after acquiring the game, we sadly realized we had to turn this thing upside down if we hoped to deliver the experience everybody wanted,” says Ubisoft North America’s president Laurent Detoc. “It’s been such a major overhaul to get to the point where we are that we couldn’t let it go, even if that meant missing December.”

South Park’s creators wholeheartedly agree. “We always wanted the game to feel like you’re actually in an episode of South Park,” say Matt Stone and Trey Parker. “Getting the game up to the crappy standards of the show has been a real challenge and we’re excited to say it’s taken way longer than we thought it would.”
Here is a video to go along with the announcement.

More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

November 1st, 2013, 07:10
I wonder what state the game was in? THQ and Ubisoft have some very different opinions on what makes a game ready for release apparently.

Either way, a major bummer.

Yme

Sentinel

November 1st, 2013, 07:19
The response from Ubisoft to me sounds like a backstab at Obsidian. I'm curious how much of a mess the game is. It's already a year overdue.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

November 1st, 2013, 10:07
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
The response from Ubisoft to me sounds like a backstab at Obsidian.
Likewise that from the South Park guys, sounds like everyone is beating on Obsidian.

Also looks massively QTE-tastic.

kalniel

SasqWatch

November 1st, 2013, 12:20
Can't wait

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

November 1st, 2013, 13:02
Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
Likewise that from the South Park guys, sounds like everyone is beating on Obsidian.
Dunno about this, the South Park guy does say "Getting the game up to the crappy standards of the show has been a real challenge"

If they wanted crappy standards, it must mean that the game was quality. No?

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

November 1st, 2013, 13:18
They were being sarcastic.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

November 1st, 2013, 14:51
Also looks massively QTE-tastic.
QTE? I didn't see any of it. You probably mean FMV sequences, which usually is a big part of most trailers to show a bit of the story..

Trailer looks great

Haven't seen any interview where they are "beating on Obsidian", everything i've read they've said they're very happy to work with Obsidian. Also good to know both M&T are big rpg nerds…

SiiiiLENCE the DISCOOOORD…

vurt

Serial Modderer

November 1st, 2013, 14:52
Another game developed by Obsidian runs into development troubles..hardly a shock. I jusr hope it won't harm them too much

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

November 1st, 2013, 15:26
Pretty silent on the Project Eternity front lately, too, until recently. I wonder if Obsidian didn't shift folks to South Park for a bit…

ChaosTheory

Sentinel

November 1st, 2013, 15:26
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
They were being sarcastic.
You think?

kalniel

SasqWatch

November 1st, 2013, 15:27
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
QTE? I didn't see any of it.
The ability usages all look like QTE. Circle the pad then press blah. Hit blah then at the peak hit blah again.

kalniel

SasqWatch

November 1st, 2013, 15:42
The ability usages all look like QTE. Circle the pad then press blah. Hit blah then at the peak hit blah again.
Looked like any other RPG in this genre, nothing unexpected. Wouldn't call that "QTE".

vurt

Serial Modderer

November 1st, 2013, 18:47
I initially had zero interest in this, then I was surprised that the combat system actually looked pretty solid and I thought, maybe I will pick it up.

Now that it has slipped to 2014 though it's shifting back to a probable no buy, there are just too many games that I want that also got pushed to 2014 and I don't think this would get any play time over the other games.

sakichop

SasqWatch

November 1st, 2013, 19:36
Looked like any other RPG in this genre,
I admit I have no experience of animated comedy RPG conversions, so I'll bow to your wisdom on that one

kalniel

SasqWatch

November 1st, 2013, 19:53
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Dunno about this, the South Park guy does say "Getting the game up to the crappy standards of the show has been a real challenge"

If they wanted crappy standards, it must mean that the game was quality. No?
If you've watched much South Park, you'll notice they poke fun at themselves a lot for the crappy cardboard cut-out style animation they do. For example, in the movie SP: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, when the kids are first rejected going to the Terrance and Phillip movie, Cartman remarks that he didn't want to see it anyway because "the animation's all crappy" as they bob back and forth supposedly "walking" away from the theater — animated crappily. Matt and Trey do this is a lot of their work. Team America was self-referencial in the same way, albeit with puppets movements.

Since their goal is to make the game mimick being inside an episode, they actually have to replicate the crappy animation too. I would imagine that is actually a little challenging.

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch

November 1st, 2013, 19:54
I admit I have no experience of animated comedy RPG conversions, so I'll bow to your wisdom on that one
There isnt just comedy RPG's using that system though The game is inspired by RPG's such as Earthbound and Paper Mario.

vurt

Serial Modderer

November 3rd, 2013, 09:35
There isnt just comedy RPG's using that system though The game is inspired by RPG's such as Earthbound and Paper Mario.
Ah yes, the two great achievements in RPG genre. Doesn't mean I will not be buying this game through.

zahratustra

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » South Park - Delayed to March 2014