Blackguards - Now on Early Access & New Teaser

And they say I'm OT all of the time... :p

Whatever, I'm (insta)buying this game, but not playing "early" versions.

I got this for free from a Larian giveaway (funnily enough, given that it's not their game). So far, it's actually pretty good. The combat system is simple, but it has enough to be interesting. Ditto character development. Obviously, a lot depends on where the game goes from here, but it's already exceeded my (low) expectations, as I wasn't really watching out for this game.

I've been playing it for a couple days and it is basically a DSA combat simulator with a few roleplaying hubs that you spend a couple minutes in between each battle map. It's quite fun!

I'm 5 hours in now and while I am enjoying it I do wish you got more AP to spend and that there were more teachers.

My 2 fighter types spend most of there time doing the normal attack and the 1 special attack I've been able to get. That can get repetitive sometimes.

There are poisons, traps and interactive terrain to use also but it would be nice to have some more combat options since that's the majority of the game.

Also AOO's should be in from the beginning for enemies and your characters instead of a skill learned later.

Would like to see cleave as well ( not sure if you can get that later) and some AOE's for melee characters.

As I said I'm only 5 hours in so maybe some of this it achievable later.

EDIT--Just had my first CTD and my first AOO. It was nice to see even if it wasn't me doing it. ( the AOO, not the CTD. LOL)

Last edited:
Yes, those guys did a thorough and awesome job. Kudos!

Well that was a great review up until the end
while it would obviously be ideal for this RPG to cover all the bases, I’d much rather see one with a combat system that actually puts some classics to shame while sacrificing the story, than another drop in the ocean of pseudo-choice oriented storyfag LARP simulators.
That language just ruined any credibility….

It is policy that the word fag or penis should be in every review at the Codex. At least they held off till the end this time ;)

Hey peepeepee, great article and great game guide for Blackguards.

Yeah, I know it's a running joke. It's REALLY old. But, so am I. Guess I shouldn't complain. ;)

Also, even a cesspool has a reputation to maintain. ;)

My friend, I prefer a cesspool full of bad mouthed people that actually are honest than one made by very educated hypocrites.

Hey peepeepee, great article and great game guide for Blackguards.

Yep, the game guide is great and much needed, I hope they include one with the game soon.

On a side note, why the hate between the watch and codex?

There's some decent posters/discussions here, but I also get an overly pretentious feeling from some here. Similar to the RPS boards, in that regard. (though nowhere near as bad)

Anyone that get's so offended from random words by anonymous ppl on a gaming forum need to lighten up a bit.

Yep, the game guide is great and much needed, I hope they include one with the game soon.

On a side note, why the hate between the watch and codex?
Maybe it's their attitude and habit of topic trolling. :smug:

As for me I have a personal reason to hate most of them, but I can't speak for the others. Still I can't deny the article wasn't that bad.

I'm not capable of hate. :(

Back
Top Bottom