|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » WIldstar going free to play.

Default WIldstar going free to play.

May 29th, 2015, 01:33
I've been bored for a good while; single player games just aren't doing it for me. So, today I was looking into MMO avenues I had previously overlooked/shunned and Wildstar came up.

Which is a pretty strange coincidence given today's announcement:

Wildstar will be going Free to Play in the Fall.

How much of the game is accessible to Free players?

We place no restrictions on any of the game’s content. Every zone, every dungeon, every raid, every battleground… they’re all available. All players will be able to create characters of every race, class, and path while choosing any tradeskills they like. Characters can achieve level 50 and path level 30, just as they can under the current system.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

May 29th, 2015, 09:38
It's an inferior WoW in most ways. Is that really what you're looking for?

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

May 29th, 2015, 16:17
I also heard its an inferior WoW, but it has got cute Bunny-girls to play with

muhabor

Watcher

May 29th, 2015, 16:32
Beside being two themeparks there isn't that much things in commons between Wildstar and WoW.

You need to like comic book humor because it is everywhere though and also get used to the game action combat which is so-so.

azarhal

SasqWatch

May 29th, 2015, 19:25
The combat template system, raiding (quality, not quantity) and player housing are all arguably superior to WoW. Everything else…eh, not so much. Though keep in mind I haven't played in months, they may have made some radical changes to improve the leveling grind or what have you.

Mosaic

Watcher

May 30th, 2015, 03:05
Well, I've played a little, but I'm pretty disappointed thus far. It's all so easy and very linear; typical themepark style of contemporary MMOs.

Bleh. I'm just so bored by current MMOs.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

May 30th, 2015, 20:16
There was a lot I liked about WildStar. What kept me from buying in (played in beta and got a refund on my purchase before release) was the whole CREDD thing. I simply won't pay to play games that include the free to play sleaze of facilitating buying game gold for cash (all of the systems like CREDD are just wrappers for selling gold to players). And games that include cheating just have no lasting appeal. RIFT is a great WoW clone and overall great game - it was underrated and great to play when it was sub-based, but once it went F2P I quickly lost interest (I also thought their first xpac was poorly orchestrated).

I also didn't like the AMP system - I don't ever like any character progression system that involves potentially buying upgrades thru player economy, especially when player economy also involves players buying gold for cash thru the host company. Earning gear thru content is enough - but don't tie in skills and skill upgrades/perks to content, especailly not to drops and the whims of other players, and especially don't do it in such a way that some factions/races/classes are screwed and others are not.

And as with most "modern" MMORPGs, way too much solo idiot mode. To me what made MMORPGs good to start with was their group-oriented stuff. Let the genre be niche - I'm fine with that. I don't need millions of players soloing around me to enjoy a game since I have nothing to do with those players - it adds nothing, and solo idiot mode content is nothing special in MMORPGs - you can do better in so many single player cRPGs.

Anyways - what I thought WildStar did well was challenging group content - even the first instance had great boss fights (way too much pointless trash though). Some of the other group content was good too - the pick your own objective style instanced stuff with rewards based on who well you did things.

It's a game that had the potential to be a decent game for grouping but as with most modern MMORPGs, tries too hard to be everything for everybody, and in doing so ends up being a game with a massive budget, massive corporate expectations for profits that aren't going to happen, and then it's F2P, and F2P might be a great business model for making money but it's a crap style of gaming for anybody serious about playing.

I have a bunch of friends who never tried WildStar who I would like to see experience the game - or would've, but since they're probably going to dumb down the whole thing (even more )it'll be even less worth checking out.

Voqar

PC Gaming Snob

May 31st, 2015, 03:42
I agree with pretty much everything, the game tried to be WoW vanilla, current WoW and a bit of verything else. But the game had a very unique artistic direction and the OST was quite nice from what I remember.

Luckra

Watcher

May 31st, 2015, 04:10
OST is ok, reminds me of Firefly - which is a strange dichotomy with the agonizing quest hubs and WoW art style.

Looking at Darkfall Online now. Not much to pick from when what you're looking for is a decent sandbox MMO and not another WoW clone.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

May 31st, 2015, 07:26
Scratch that - anyone ever try Wurm Online? Open World sandbox MMO spearheaded by Rolf Jansson and Notch (before Minecraft).

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

June 2nd, 2015, 13:36
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Scratch that - anyone ever try Wurm Online? Open World sandbox MMO spearheaded by Rolf Jansson and Notch (before Minecraft).
I read a lot about it, but I never bothered playing it. There is just something "off" about that game but I can't exactly put my finger on it. There is a limited free access for it though.

azarhal

SasqWatch

June 16th, 2015, 16:52
Wildstar is part of an Humble Bundle. In other word, you get the "paid accounts" perk for as low as $1 once it goes F2P and get 30 days of game time now.

The reapers ceased being robot Cthulhu's when Star child nuked the plot from orbit ~ Steel on Neogaf

azarhal

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » WIldstar going free to play.