|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » The SWTOR thread

Default The SWTOR thread

January 23rd, 2014, 14:22
I was fairly tired of rakghouls already because Taris has so many quests related to them. This is really not all that exciting to me. My subscription is still running though, so I might check it out at some point.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch

#21

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 5,289
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

January 23rd, 2014, 18:22
I can fully understand your opinion. My was I glad to finally be able to get off of Taris again !

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is online now

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#22

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,848

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 13:48
Road map : http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20140203
2.6 Blog : http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20140203
GSF Announcement : http://www.swtor.com/node/317969

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is online now

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#23

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,848

Default 

March 24th, 2014, 16:01
Housing Coming to SWTOR

I re-installed last night just because I've read someone say they improved some stuff that annoyed me. I actually did have fun. Now I'm tempted to sub to get the free house and a few more stuff.
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#24

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,403

Default 

March 25th, 2014, 13:50
My sub is still running, though I won't be playing for a few months, as I'll be busy with ESO. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if I came back to TOR for a while this summer, between ESO and Warlords of Draenor.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch

#25

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 5,289
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

March 26th, 2014, 10:32
This is one MMO that won't really benefit much from housing.

I'm a big fan of the feature, and obviously it's better than nothing - but the world is so static and lifeless - and everything you do is excessively themepark, so I don't see much point in owning a house.

Maybe I'll change my mind, though.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#26

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 13,797

Default 

March 28th, 2014, 13:46
I'll try it out at least. No-one knows for sure how this "housing" will exactly take place, though.

Subbers will have an "early access" thing as well. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20140319 and here : http://www.swtor.com/info/news/press-release/20140319

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is online now

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#27

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,848

Default 

April 2nd, 2014, 13:49
After watching The Clone Wars series in Netflix (loved it!) my interest sparked again for everything Star Wars (I watched episodes 1-3 again, episode 1 still sucks but I actually liked 2&3 much more than when I saw them the first time).

I considered getting KotoR 1&2, I played them long ago in my original Xbox, maybe with whatever restoration mods are out there, but then I remembered SWTOR is free so downloaded it, and been playing the last couple of days. Not sure I'll play for long, but for now it's quenching the SW thirst.
wolfing is offline

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Wonders what SasqWatch is

#28

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,094

Default 

April 2nd, 2014, 15:10
Which server are you on ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is online now

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#29

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,848

Default 

April 3rd, 2014, 13:39
hmm… my old characters (including my 50 jedi consular) I don't remember. I started a bounty hunter in the RP server.
wolfing is offline

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Wonders what SasqWatch is

#30

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,094

Default 

April 3rd, 2014, 16:09
Ah, okay. Me, I'm on VC. German-language RP Server. It feels god there.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is online now

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#31

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,848

Default 

April 11th, 2014, 14:22
I'm getting a bit burned out of LOTRO, gonna download this next week for sure. I need something different. I'll pick a RP server, preferably a US time zone one if I can.
Toff is offline

Toff

Toff's Avatar
Sentinel

#32

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 437

Default 

April 11th, 2014, 14:28
Damn, I just ought to try SWTOR in near future to have more material for pay2win trollposts, but what's the point to solo a MMO, I don't speak german.

[EDIT]
Oops, I posted before I've added:
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
After watching The Clone Wars series in Netflix (loved it!) my interest sparked again for everything Star Wars (I watched episodes 1-3 again, episode 1 still sucks but I actually liked 2&3 much more than when I saw them the first time).
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014…ttooine-desert

JJ Abrams' Star Wars: Episode VII will feature an extensive re-creation of desert planet Tatooine from the original trilogy that hit cinemas between 1977 and 1983, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; April 11th, 2014 at 15:07.
joxer is online now

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#33

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,551

Default 

April 18th, 2014, 17:53
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Damn, I just ought to try SWTOR in near future to have more material for pay2win trollposts, but what's the point to solo a MMO, I don't speak german.
SWTOR isn't pay2win. I played since launch, and I know all the story. The best gear you can get can only be obtained from Operations (Raids, PVE). In PVP you need to play to get commendations to buy the best gear.
It has the F2P option that is an excellent way to play the whole story (every class has a different story, companions and 'ending') and to see if you like the game. If you are interested, the Imperial Agent has the better story so far.
But if you are interested in endgame, or the social aspects like PVP or Operations (Raids), you probably need to be a subscriber.
The microtransactions is just for cosmetic stuff, or if you are F2P to unlock features and functions that comes free when you are as subscriber.
Also this game does not benefit from goldsellers, because when you are a subscriber, you can easily do tons of credits doing daily missions.
Sumerisle is offline

Sumerisle

Watcher

#34

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 90

Default 

April 19th, 2014, 17:26
you can easily do tons of credits doing daily missions
Every MMO has grinding as a base so no need to mention it.

All I know about that game is there is a train robot if you pay for it and there is not if you don't. You buy it or not. Noone said is it cosmetic or is pay to win.
In fact there is no single result in google where a person numbers every single thing that can be bought in the game with an explanation why is it (or not) pay2win content.

Noone, except me, ever said anywhere that Mass Effect DLC are in fact pay2win content. And they are - it's just a carefully hidden fact. Even posters on Bioware forums are scared to write numbers to avoid possible bans, those who start a speculation are warned by other posters not to go into further analisys. Oh, no, I'm not talking about horse armor DLC! I'm talking about numerous NPC and missions DLC.

Also, cosmetic you say? There is only one f2p game I've seen so far with only payed cosmetic stuff and never ever anything else - it's League of Legends. That game earns millions without any pay2win, all you can buy for real cash is different looks on your character(s). You're saying SWTOR has the same type of microtransactions?

You can't just post SWTOR isn't pay2win and argument it by saying "I'm playing it for a lifetime and when I say it, it's the ultimate truth". If you think that only gear can be pay2win thing, sorry but I definetly can't trust your judgment.
And in the end, because of lack of proper argument if a game has pay2win content and if f2p is actually free2torture by subscribers, I'll have to start playing it.

Toka Koka
joxer is online now

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#35

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,551

Default 

April 19th, 2014, 20:59
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Every MMO has grinding as a base so no need to mention it.
Yes it's true. What I'm saying is there's no great burden in gathering tons of credits in SWTOR. You can do it easy.

Originally Posted by joxer View Post
All I know about that game is there is a train robot if you pay for it and there is not if you don't.
The bot you mention 'Training Droid: Hovers at your side for combat assistance' it's just a pet. It hovers around, but cannot assist you in any way. It doesn't give XP bonus, or anything.

Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Also, cosmetic you say? There is only one f2p game I've seen so far with only payed cosmetic stuff and never ever anything else - it's League of Legends. That game earns millions without any pay2win, all you can buy for real cash is different looks on your character(s). You're saying SWTOR has the same type of microtransactions?
You can't just post SWTOR isn't pay2win and argument it by saying "I'm playing it for a lifetime and when I say it, it's the ultimate truth". If you think that only gear can be pay2win thing, sorry but I definetly can't trust your judgment.
And in the end, because of lack of proper argument if a game has pay2win content and if f2p is actually free2torture by subscribers, I'll have to start playing it.
Never said that I hold the ultimate truth. Just mentioned that I'm playing since launch just to show that I'm telling how things are in the game firsthand.
For me a pay2win game is when two players have the same skill, but one of them is better than the other because he pays extra (stat boosters, gear boosters, faster respawn in pvp, etc.)
This game is not a good F2P MMO at all. Because it has a lot of locked features and content. But if you like single player games, enjoy the story and lore of SW, by all means you can enjoy the game as F2P, because you can do the whole campaign with every class without paying a single dime.
But, if you want to be competitive in PVP, or do hardcore PVE content, there's no other way than be a subscriber.
The whole microtransaction stuff is either cosmetic or F2P unlocks (all the stuff you pay to unlock in F2P comes at no cost when subscribed).
Sumerisle is offline

Sumerisle

Watcher

#36

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 90

Default 

April 19th, 2014, 21:44
Originally Posted by Sumerisle View Post
This game is not a good F2P MMO at all. Because it has a lot of locked features and content. But if you like single player games, enjoy the story and lore of SW, by all means you can enjoy the game as F2P, because you can do the whole campaign with every class without paying a single dime.
Not exactly what I've asked, but… Let's say I'm satisfied with that answer.

Originally Posted by Sumerisle View Post
But, if you want to be competitive in PVP, or do hardcore PVE content, there's no other way than be a subscriber.
Wait a minute.
Let's assume one is not a subscriber but plays on f2p model.
And goes PvP. Against another nonsubscriber. If that's even possible.
Now can that another nonsubscriber buy a microtransaction skill, potion, whatever to win the fight or not?

Toka Koka
joxer is online now

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#37

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,551

Default 

April 19th, 2014, 22:23
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Wait a minute.
Let's assume one is not a subscriber but plays on f2p model.
And goes PvP. Against another nonsubscriber. If that's even possible.
Now can that another nonsubscriber buy a microtransaction skill, potion, whatever to win the fight or not?
The main issue with PVP is that the number of matches per day is limited if you are F2P. Also, every time you play a PVP match you earn commendations, a special currency used to buy PVP gear (PVP gear is useless in PVE combat and vice versa).
There's no skill, or boost at the cartel market (cash) for PVP. Just the regular PVP stims or adrenals (kinda medikits and small boosts) that are bought with the PVP currency or can be crafted by players.
So that's the other problem, a subscriber progress faster because he can play and earn more commendations. Also there's Ranked PVP mode, suitable for "hardcore" PVPers.
Sumerisle is offline

Sumerisle

Watcher

#38

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 90

Default 

April 19th, 2014, 22:34
If what you're saying it true, then SWTOR is not p2w at all.
A subscriber will be able to get better stuff faster than nonsubscriber, but in the end that f2p player can eventually get the same thing, right?
I hope I understood correctly. Subscription just makes easier to get stuff, it doesn't turn you instantly into a god?

Toka Koka
joxer is online now

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#39

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,551

Default 

April 19th, 2014, 22:57
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
If what you're saying it true, then SWTOR is not p2w at all.
A subscriber will be able to get better stuff faster than nonsubscriber, but in the end that f2p player can eventually get the same thing, right?
I hope I understood correctly. Subscription just makes easier to get stuff, it doesn't turn you instantly into a god?
Yes, eventually you will get the best gear, but seriously there's no way you can buy a lot of PVP gear by playing just the 5 weekly warzones (PVP matches). It will take forever. There's a weekly pass you can buy for cash to play a whole week without restriction, but seriously, I would recommend subscribe for a single month instead, because the pass does not removes all the other F2P restrictions.

The F2P option is for playing the campaign and enjoying the story.There you have the whole thing.
For the rest of the game modes (PVP/Raids) I would not recommend it. Calling the F2P option a 'Demo' will be more suitable for those modes.
Sumerisle is offline

Sumerisle

Watcher

#40

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 90
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » The SWTOR thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:03.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch