|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Witcher 3 - VGX 2013 Trailer

Default Witcher 3 - VGX 2013 Trailer

December 9th, 2013, 15:17
Sorry, we should indeed not get out of track here.

I think for a completely story drive game like TW 2 there should be a lot of cinematics, what exactly is the problem with that?

I hope same thing will be there for TW3 even if it is supposed to be a much more open world.
GothicGothicness is offline

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#61

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,244

Default 

December 9th, 2013, 15:40
I don't mind cinematics as such GG. I just think (and that's a purely personal opinion) that there were so many of them in TW2 that it started looking like padding.
zahratustra is offline

zahratustra

SasqWatch

#62

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,349

Default 

December 9th, 2013, 15:46
I don't think TW2 had lot of cinematics. I know I did lot of talking to NPC in Witcher 2 and NPC conversations had lot of "cinematic" feel (is this what you guys mean by cinematics?) but I consider talking and making decision in witcher 2 to be "game play" as well. I don't simply consider combat as the only form of game play.
lostforever is offline

lostforever

Keeper of the Watch

#63

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 1,097

Default 

December 9th, 2013, 15:51
I don't really mind cinematics in a game like the Witcher too much either.

Perhaps in game engine exposition would be preferable. The thing is it is difficult to direct into giving the "cinematic" appeal that CDPR wants to give to their games and synchronize them /make them not look awkward it is my guess.

I expect we may get quite a bit, mainly on the main quest though so it should not be as noticeable as before ?

edit: Now that I am thinking about it I can't remember any cinematics that were not in engine ther must have been some certainly… And the in engine scenes (like the intro sequences) were actually quite good so scratch that above. lostforever may be correct…

Can anyone refresh my memory about non in-engine cinematics ?
Last edited by JonNik; December 9th, 2013 at 16:14.
JonNik is offline

JonNik

JonNik's Avatar
SasqWatch

#64

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,734

Default 

December 9th, 2013, 18:05
Best quality version of the trailer can be found on Gamersyde (300MB)

Absolutely beautiful
Dr. A is offline

Dr. A

Dr. A's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#65

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 801

Default 

December 9th, 2013, 21:14
Anyone claiming that TW2 had too many cinematics has obviously never played a modern jrpg.

Even without the comparison though, I never felt like CDP overdid the cinematics.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#66

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,897

Default 

December 10th, 2013, 03:24
I have not played a jrpg in ages so I really can't compare them.

The best example I can think of off the top of my head is

Spoiler
greywolf00 is offline

greywolf00

greywolf00's Avatar
Sentinel

#67

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Colorado, US
Posts: 536

Default 

December 10th, 2013, 08:27
Hmm my recollection is a bit hazy indeed (old age ) but I think I am starting to remember what you mean and I agree that constantly taking control from the player in frequent short intervals as you describe it, is bad design. (In principle at least. I guess It didn't really stick out as a negative highlight. Still not 100% sure)

I expect a less scripted (due to the open nature promised) and more favorable ratio (due to resources versus the promised world size/ content) if nothing else, for #3 as I was saying. Stands to reason at least…
Last edited by JonNik; December 10th, 2013 at 08:42.
JonNik is offline

JonNik

JonNik's Avatar
SasqWatch

#68

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,734

Default 

December 10th, 2013, 10:03
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
I grow weary.

Look, I didn't start arguing with you about any of this crap. You said "Dark Souls is basically Diablo" and I disagreed, stand by that, and you've changed the subject. You've tricked me into talking about issues unrelated to my initial comment in order to "win" the argument with me on those grounds, which you have to do because I'm an aggressive poster that you don't back down to, or admit to when you're wrong. Ok. You win. As you say, someone with my attitude could never convince you of anything. Not with facts and logic, or even at gunpoint. You win!

Is that the kind of maturity you want? You want to know how old I am, if I'm 12?

Well, if you want to know more about me, just ask nicely.

I'd tell you that I got into RPGs on Amiga 500 winning Curse of the Azure Bonds, so I might not be entirely grey just yet, but I'm getting there, and have played almost every old computer RPG game from Akalabeth onward. I was a smart kid - those games were hard! Compared to kids who grew up playing WoW and CoD we're miles apart. And the load times in those days! No hard drive! Having to reload those fights swapping disks and go through the "what's Word1, line2, page23?" copy protection and everything. Brutal, but I stuck with it!

Deathknights of Krynn on Amiga was my favourite RPG until Baldurs Gate came out, and my name "Sir James" was a replacement for "Sir Dryden", the knight in the pre-made party because my name is James. Nothing to do with champagne or crusaders I haven't heard of.

So, you don't back down to people with my attitude? Isn't that what I'd do?

When I play games these days I get angry when people surrender before the end, but its so common in this new age of over-accessibility that even my favourite games have a surrender/concede option built in and only a small fraction of games actually play through to their natural conclusion. People just want to concede at the sight of any challenge until they get easy wins. They're happy to put in the time working on winning, gradually improving like in an MMORPG, but not happy to have to overcome seemingly impossible challenges. Time consuming=good, Hard=bad. Even if the total time to overcome the hard challenge is less they get frustrated. Because their will is weak, they're too tired, whatever. I enjoy playing a losing battle that I might actually achieve a great victory and this is very rare these days.

You conceded in Dark Souls, so I see another "wow generation" 12 year old who just wants to hear a story and not have to fight through challenges to find it just like you see a 12 year old in me because I'm proud that I invested in the game and came out the winner. Like that's something children actually do these days? Wrong. Are we not RPG gamers? Why are you on this site if becoming invested in a game is too much? These are RPG games, the most complicated genre, not casual puzzle games. You're supposed to get invested in these games! Dark Souls is actually an easy game, just not overly accessible. It forces you to approach gaming in a different way and should be commended for that!

The fact is, they don't make gamers like me anymore. Players like me are so rare that I can't think of any others. Who the hell wants to keep playing when they know they'll lose and actually enjoys themselves? ME. Gamers my age generally "just want to relax after work", by working some more. None of my friends IRL like Dark Souls. New kids just want easy wins. Its the "skinner box" style addiction that runs new, accessible RPGS, and not the challenge of overcoming a mighty foe.

I remember sayings that kids these days have never heard: "it's not whether you win or lose but how you play the game" or "Don't start a game if you're not going to finish it". This wisdom is totally lost in online games these days.

People these days play MMORPGS and its strange to start talking to a stranger! I started playing MMORPGS with MajorMUD and you'd get to know everyone on the server. That was normal in my day! Now your global chat is filled with trolling and memes. Nothing like I remember from the golden days. You don't go on a quest together, you grind the quests solo and join a queue for a multiplayer event where your required addons play for you. You just go to work again! You be a healer or a tank and work for the raid and don't talk or have fun, but there's no real community feeling. They get frustrated so quickly when they fail. They look to blame people, ask "why?" but don't offer the solution to the issue. They have 3rd party addons and macros to play for them, and even tell them what to think by means of DPS readouts and such.

So, I rationally accept that you like different things for different reasons, but I also know why you like these different things because I know what drives them. I did say I like movies, so I like to hear a story too. But when I play games I play games. No addon help, no complaints, no fear. You want the dots connected for you, fine. Accepted. That's perfectly normal. Dark Souls only has a small, "cult" following anyway. In Dark Souls it's clear that I'm the best of the best. Teams can't blame me because there is no team. I just win.

I can accept your normality but can you accept my…..?
I have to be honest here - I don't really care to know you, because you come off as a very selfish and conceited person. Obviously, there's something very interesting underneath that layer - but you're making it really hard to care about it.

As for your "tale" - I'm going to assume it's not some elaborate joke based on your previous "humor" - even if I have my doubts.

You seem to confuse gaming with something that's genuinely important in an objective sense. Winning against an AI seems to be some kind of achievement in your world - and I can appreciate that. As I said, I once considered it a feat myself - though that was very long ago.

But gaming has never been something I've confused with something that matters a lot to people. That it has been my hobby for so long is incidental - and it could have been most of anything.

It could have been sports, cars or banging random women. None of that is interesting to me - but it could have been, if my life had taken a few different turns. It's really amazing how little it takes for people to latch on to something in an early age - and more often than not, it just sticks with you.

But I don't think I've considered "winning" a game anything special since my early teens.

I realised long ago that winning against an AI is very easy, because all it takes is cerebral investment and sometimes a measure of good reflexes. Cerebral investment, for me, is trivial and only challenging in terms of bothering to do it - which has become VERY challenging, because I don't care unless the game is fantastic.

Demon's Souls was "hard" for maybe 3-4 hours at first, until you learn the patterns and start to adapt to its harsh but completely fair terms. Dark Souls is no different. It asks you to pay attention and it asks you to learn how the enemies move and strike, but it doesn't cheat and it doesn't fuck you over with cheap moves once you get past a certain threshold of skill. You don't seem to know Demon's Souls and you seem to completely ignore that it's EXTREMELY similar to Dark Souls. Funny that.

That's a nice design and I like it. Trouble is that beyond the challenge of the combat and the nice visual style - the game is boring to me. It's more about the challenge than about telling a strong story or making you care about the people in the world. The exploration is of architecture and it asks too much of my imagination - because the story is opaque and mostly about atmosphere. All in all, the game is asking a lot and it's not giving enough back. Not for me.

But I'm completely ok with you thinking differently. I used to love Diablo and I invested hundreds of hours in making strong characters capable of defeating Hell easily. It wasn't easy at first, I can promise you that.

As much as you don't want to accept it, Dark Souls is very similar in terms of challenge and making you play right against the mobs and bosses (that ALL have unique patterns of fighting) - as well as appreciating the atmosphere. The difference, again, is that Diablo (on Hell) was testing your character - not you as a player. Some enemies required certain resistances, others required you to navigate to a corner and deal with them one on one, some required certain spells (stone curse, for instance) - and so on. Back in 1996 or 1997 - that was a challenge, because the genre wasn't familiar to a lot of people. People who call Diablo a click-fest have never played on Hell - or they're not being honest about their first time on that difficulty.

But I've grown apart from that kind of experience. It's no longer enough.

Obviously, you seem to think that because YOU like Dark Souls a lot - everyone in the entire world should like it just as much or they're "wrong" because they missed all that greatness you saw in the game.

When you WERE 12 - maybe you loved Pacman - and you tried to convince your father that it was the greatest thing in the world. He didn't think so - so he's obviously a "wow generation" person before such a thing existed. Well, that, or maybe he didn't really care for the same things you care about.

You see, it's this kind of simplistic concept of human nature and how we differ that you don't seem to understand.

You place people in rigid categories - and you use your emotional attachment to a computer game as a very unfortunate blinder. You have to learn to appreciate that people really DO like different things for different reasons - and people have all kinds of ways to keep themselves occupied and challenged.

You're not "special" because you care more about DS than other people - because other people care more than you about other things. You wouldn't stand a chance in WoW arena - trust me. You'd get killed instantly and I can give you my personal guarentee that there's nothing even remotely as challenging in Dark Souls solo play than going up against top-tier players in WoW. Nothing. I could kick your ass ten times over and that makes you a "weak generation" player right? No, it means I care(d) more about WoW PvP than you do. Nothing more - which is almost nothing at all.

You're not entitled and you're not better than anyone else. Developers are not obligated to keep you entertained - and there's nothing to support that they should - except you and people who like similar things.

Lucky for you, there are other games coming that offer a similar experience - and instead of bitching about people not caring about the things you care about, maybe focus on those that DO care about similar things?

In short, grow up a bit and get over yourself.
Last edited by DArtagnan; December 10th, 2013 at 11:42.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#69

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,607

Default 

December 10th, 2013, 10:57
Sorry for the continued OT - didn't see the heated opposition until now
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#70

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,607

Default 

December 10th, 2013, 12:14
You guys have way to much freetime.
Morrandir is online now

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

#71

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 962

Default 

December 10th, 2013, 12:33
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
You guys have way to much freetime.
Many would argue that point about gamers spending dozens of hours pr. week on gaming in general
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#72

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,607

Default 

December 10th, 2013, 13:43
Gaming isn't freetime. It's a duty for every honuorable earth citizen.
Morrandir is online now

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

#73

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 962

Default 

December 10th, 2013, 13:52
Well, for me gaming is like a spa. It is a way to relax…. better than anything the doctor could come up with

Venting frustration on forum could in some way be the same thing I guess, especially for someone like DArt
GothicGothicness is offline

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#74

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,244

Default 

December 10th, 2013, 13:57
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
Well, for me gaming is like a spa. It is a way to relax…. better than anything the doctor could come up with

Venting frustration on forum could in some way be the same thing I guess, especially for someone like DArt
My frustration in life is such that venting on a gaming forum has no positive effect, unfortunately

Occasionally, though, it can be entertaining - but that's usually when there's no conflict involved.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#75

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,607

Default 

December 10th, 2013, 14:20
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I have to be honest here - I don't really care to know you, because you come off as a very selfish and conceited person. Obviously, there's something very interesting underneath that layer - but you're making it really hard to care about it.

As for your "tale" - I'm going to assume it's not some elaborate joke based on your previous "humor" - even if I have my doubts.

You seem to confuse gaming with something that's genuinely important in an objective sense. Winning against an AI seems to be some kind of achievement in your world - and I can appreciate that. As I said, I once considered it a feat myself - though that was very long ago.

But gaming has never been something I've confused with something that matters a lot to people. That it has been my hobby for so long is incidental - and it could have been most of anything.

It could have been sports, cars or banging random women. None of that is interesting to me - but it could have been, if my life had taken a few different turns. It's really amazing how little it takes for people to latch on to something in an early age - and more often than not, it just sticks with you.

But I don't think I've considered "winning" a game anything special since my early teens.

I realised long ago that winning against an AI is very easy, because all it takes is cerebral investment and sometimes a measure of good reflexes. Cerebral investment, for me, is trivial and only challenging in terms of bothering to do it - which has become VERY challenging, because I don't care unless the game is fantastic.

Demon's Souls was "hard" for maybe 3-4 hours at first, until you learn the patterns and start to adapt to its harsh but completely fair terms. Dark Souls is no different. It asks you to pay attention and it asks you to learn how the enemies move and strike, but it doesn't cheat and it doesn't fuck you over with cheap moves once you get past a certain threshold of skill. You don't seem to know Demon's Souls and you seem to completely ignore that it's EXTREMELY similar to Dark Souls. Funny that.

That's a nice design and I like it. Trouble is that beyond the challenge of the combat and the nice visual style - the game is boring to me. It's more about the challenge than about telling a strong story or making you care about the people in the world. The exploration is of architecture and it asks too much of my imagination - because the story is opaque and mostly about atmosphere. All in all, the game is asking a lot and it's not giving enough back. Not for me.

But I'm completely ok with you thinking differently. I used to love Diablo and I invested hundreds of hours in making strong characters capable of defeating Hell easily. It wasn't easy at first, I can promise you that.

As much as you don't want to accept it, Dark Souls is very similar in terms of challenge and making you play right against the mobs and bosses (that ALL have unique patterns of fighting) - as well as appreciating the atmosphere. The difference, again, is that Diablo (on Hell) was testing your character - not you as a player. Some enemies required certain resistances, others required you to navigate to a corner and deal with them one on one, some required certain spells (stone curse, for instance) - and so on. Back in 1996 or 1997 - that was a challenge, because the genre wasn't familiar to a lot of people. People who call Diablo a click-fest have never played on Hell - or they're not being honest about their first time on that difficulty.

But I've grown apart from that kind of experience. It's no longer enough.

Obviously, you seem to think that because YOU like Dark Souls a lot - everyone in the entire world should like it just as much or they're "wrong" because they missed all that greatness you saw in the game.

When you WERE 12 - maybe you loved Pacman - and you tried to convince your father that it was the greatest thing in the world. He didn't think so - so he's obviously a "wow generation" person before such a thing existed. Well, that, or maybe he didn't really care for the same things you care about.

You see, it's this kind of simplistic concept of human nature and how we differ that you don't seem to understand.

You place people in rigid categories - and you use your emotional attachment to a computer game as a very unfortunate blinder. You have to learn to appreciate that people really DO like different things for different reasons - and people have all kinds of ways to keep themselves occupied and challenged.

You're not "special" because you care more about DS than other people - because other people care more than you about other things. You wouldn't stand a chance in WoW arena - trust me. You'd get killed instantly and I can give you my personal guarentee that there's nothing even remotely as challenging in Dark Souls solo play than going up against top-tier players in WoW. Nothing. I could kick your ass ten times over and that makes you a "weak generation" player right? No, it means I care(d) more about WoW PvP than you do. Nothing more - which is almost nothing at all.

You're not entitled and you're not better than anyone else. Developers are not obligated to keep you entertained - and there's nothing to support that they should - except you and people who like similar things.

Lucky for you, there are other games coming that offer a similar experience - and instead of bitching about people not caring about the things you care about, maybe focus on those that DO care about similar things?

In short, grow up a bit and get over yourself.
sif pacman
SirJames is offline

SirJames

SirJames's Avatar
Sentinel

#76

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 545

Default 

December 10th, 2013, 15:35
Don't you dare DArt
zahratustra is offline

zahratustra

SasqWatch

#77

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,349

Default 

December 10th, 2013, 19:28
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Many would argue that point about gamers spending dozens of hours pr. week on gaming in general
Yes, but playing games at work would be crossing the line.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#78

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10,005

Default 

December 10th, 2013, 19:38
Unless you work for one of the intelligence agencies…
zahratustra is offline

zahratustra

SasqWatch

#79

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,349

Default 

December 10th, 2013, 19:59
There ya go.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#80

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10,005
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Witcher 3 - VGX 2013 Trailer
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:20.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch