|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Original Sin - Preview @ Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Default Original Sin - Preview @ Rock, Paper, Shotgun

December 10th, 2013, 02:48
Rock, Paper, Shotgun has posted a new hands-on preview of Divinity – Original Sin.

Preview events often involve around half an hour with a game, while carefully chaperoned through its corridors. I spent sixteen hours playing Divinity: Original Sin over two days in Belgium last week and nobody told me what I should or shouldn’t do. I spent two hours looking for a potato because I wanted to make some chips and Larian’s founder actively encouraged me in that mighty quest.

If I hadn’t had a flight to catch, I would have played for another sixteen hours over the next couple of days as well. There are more technically impressive fantasy RPGs coming out next year and there’s a great deal of work still to be done, but Larian’s latest is living up the early promise and is right near the top of my most wanted list.

More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

December 10th, 2013, 02:48
That article makes me drool….

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

December 10th, 2013, 03:42
Can't wait, sounds like tons of fun.

greywolf00

Sentinel

December 10th, 2013, 04:51
For me, this game is the number one game I'm looking forward to. There's not one thing about the design that I don't like. Hopefully, implementation will be good too… but Larian has a strong track record so I'm more than hopeful.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

December 10th, 2013, 05:18
Larian is a very talented group…I loved Divine Divinity. The only reason I wouldn't give that game 5 stars is all the mobs of trash actions combat. They are good writers, can be funny at times and have the best music composer ever in games imho. Since this sounds like all that combined with a real rpg with turnbased combat I think that makes this my most anticipated game.

Didn't care much for divinity 2 so I sure hope this ones hits the mark and sells well.

Saxon1974

Sentinel

December 10th, 2013, 05:25
I haven't been this excited of a video game for a long time. Could this game be more awesome Just great work Larian! Orginal sin is going to kick ass next year.

Dez

Keeper of the Watch

December 10th, 2013, 06:48
Everything sounds excellent!

Much more than the DD on steroids that early previews suggested and firmly towards a natural evolution of Ultima VII that Swen always dreamed of making it seems.

I am very pleased with the way my KS contribution was put to use

Damn its really gonna be hectic finding time to play all the highly anticipated stuff coming next year (this one has already reserved top spots, needless to say)
Last edited by JonNik; December 10th, 2013 at 08:43.

JonNik

SasqWatch

December 10th, 2013, 09:05
It’s a silly world, more Python than Tolkien […].
I'm a little worried about this one. Hope they don't overdo the silliness. It would break immersion for me.

Morrandir

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

December 10th, 2013, 09:10
That has always been a staple of their games and they make a fun change of pace for me. Not everything has to be a grim gothic fantasy (much as I love those)…
(I also love Monty python )

They have always struck a good balance in the past imo. I expect a bit more humor than say DD or D2 in this one though…

JonNik

SasqWatch

December 10th, 2013, 14:41
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
I'm a little worried about this one. Hope they don't overdo the silliness. It would break immersion for me.
They usually create … "different" worlds …

This is the game I'm waiting for most, as well.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

December 10th, 2013, 19:00
Agreed, Divinity's have always had a bit of a wacky setting. But at the same time they've always been pretty atmospheric. I hope they achieve this combination with D:OS.

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

December 11th, 2013, 02:03
Aye that was a fun article to read and sounds like the game has a lot of possibilities, very interested - and I supported it of course :-)

Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

Keeper of the Watch

December 11th, 2013, 03:18
Couch, you game tease.

STOP posting this stuff. The anticipation is killing me.

sakichop

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Original Sin - Preview @ Rock, Paper, Shotgun