|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Steam - Arcania & Gothic Pack for 75% Off

Default Steam - Arcania & Gothic Pack for 75% Off

December 12th, 2013, 11:24
Originally Posted by JonNik View Post
Just make sure you read their readme to see if the optional changes and various settings are really for you.

Even on default (and without the excessive tweaking I did to bring out the pretty in the screens I posted above) it should be a pretty decent experience…
Looks quite good for a game this old. Care to share some tweaking tips/ values?
Got a capable pc to handle the max setting for gothic 3.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

December 12th, 2013, 11:34
Will attach my .ini when I get back home from work on the evening.

Bear in mind though that these settings will bring back some of the hitching and stuttering (very mild though) that is mostly eliminated with 1.75 on a powerfull system. For me though it is a more than acceptable compromise (and you can always back up your ini first, and you should, and give it a shot)…

For reference I have a core i7@ 4.5 and the game is running from a Samsung 840 Pro…

Edit: Oh this is the thread we discussed this when the CP 1.75 came out. Read post #55 i.e.

Will still post the one I have on my instalation on home in case there are some changes, but the main values should be more or less the same (most were taken from PCGH and they are geared to increase visibility without clipping artifacts). Also quality settings (like 16XAF and transparency AA if it works, not 100 % sure) from the Nvidia settings are recommended. Most modern cards will be more than able to handle the game and it should be CPU limited (my minimum is approx. 40 fps in Geldern)
Last edited by JonNik; December 12th, 2013 at 11:54.

JonNik

SasqWatch

December 12th, 2013, 11:58
Thank you JonNik.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

December 12th, 2013, 12:03
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I've played it several times with the CP

It's good - but I can't stick with it for more than 20-30 hours. One reason is that I don't really enjoy the combat - and I no longer have that "innocent" adventurous spirit I had when I first played it, because I know the limitations of the random loot and the story.

But I still want to one day give it another real shot
For what it's worth, I've found that the loot problem is significantly improved by the numerous little quests and extra NPCs added by the Content Mod. Granted the exploration incentives never quite reach G1/2 levels so even in my last G3 playthough I used a list with the special weapon chests to at least know when I cleared an area.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

December 12th, 2013, 12:04
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
For what it's worth, I've found that the loot problem is significantly improved by the numerous little quests and extra NPCs added by the Content Mod. Granted the exploration incentive never quite reaches G1/2 levels so even in my last G3 playthough I used a list with the weapon chests to at least know when I cleared an area.
I've tried getting the Quest Pack installed - but isn't it german only? Also, the Content Mod is something else? Never quite figured those out.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

December 12th, 2013, 12:13
I've tried getting the Quest Pack installed - but isn't it german only? Also, the Content Mod is something else? Never quite figured those out.
There was a rather functional (still littered with problems though) translation of the last QuestPack upon which the Content Mod started building things. This looks like the latest version. Google translate is your friend as far understanding installing goes but the mods themselves are available in English.

The Community Story Project was meant to amend the random loot but as other huge modding undertakings it seems to have died.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.
Last edited by Kostas; December 12th, 2013 at 12:18. Reason: typos

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

December 12th, 2013, 12:15
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
There was a rather functional (still littered with problems though) translation of the last QuestPack upon which the Content Mod started building things. This look like the latest version.

The Community Story Project was meant to amend the random loot but as other huge modding undertakings it seems to have died.
Thanks for the info

Sounds a bit messy/tricky… But if it could be made to work, it just might be the reason I've been looking for to try again!

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

December 12th, 2013, 12:28
The soundtrack is definitely the best thing about Arcania. It was composed by Dynamedion who has done some pretty good stuff across different genres. They also did Drakensang, Alan Wake, and Crysis 2 to name a few. Risen 2 is probably their best work though imo.

I agree that Kai Rosenkranz is better though. He and Michael Hoenig (Baldur's Gate 1&2) are probably my favorite composers when it comes to games. What is it about German musicians that makes them so good at creating music for crpgs?

Fwiw, I also think Gothic 1&2 are KaiRo's best stuff.

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 12th, 2013, 12:53
Originally Posted by ikbenrichard View Post
Thank you JonNik.
You are welcome.

Now that I think about it the one I am using is probably a 25% reduced one posted a bit bellow on that thread. Still looking great.

If you copy paste values from the posts have a mind that they are copied correctly (we had a problem with spaces being entered with JDR as you will see if you browse the posts bellow#83. May be better to change the values by hand after tou backup your ini)

JonNik

SasqWatch

December 12th, 2013, 13:19
At that price Arcania and expac is tempting, but I don't have the time to play them right now, so I will wait for the next sale…

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2013, 17:27
Let's all face the facts here. These Gothic games all suck and to buy the pack with the idea that you'll "one day get around to playing it" is simply a waste of money.

jpnole

Watcher

December 12th, 2013, 17:36
Good evening troll

Originally Posted by ikbenrichard View Post
Looks quite good for a game this old. Care to share some tweaking tips/ values?
Got a capable pc to handle the max setting for gothic 3.
You are welcome.

Now that I think about it the one I am using is probably a 25% reduced one posted a bit bellow on that thread. Still looking great.

If you copy paste values from the posts have a mind that they are copied correctly (we had a problem with spaces being entered with JDR as you will see if you browse the posts bellow#83. May be better to change the values by hand after tou backup your ini)
Yep my final one (I have a playthrough to the end with it) is actually the 25% reduced of post #83 with the NPC visibility reduced a bit and the grass rendering increased a bit.
You can do a diff between this one and the default 1.75 one (or the one from the post #55 on the original thread) to see which values were changed and how much.

Spoiler – ge3.ini

JonNik

SasqWatch

December 12th, 2013, 18:30
Originally Posted by jpnole View Post
Let's all face the facts here. These Gothic games all suck and to buy the pack with the idea that you'll "one day get around to playing it" is simply a waste of money.
Yep, the Gothic series ranks right up there with Baldur's Gate, TES, VtM-B, Planescape, Fallout, and The Witcher games as the worst RPGs I've ever played. Complete crap.

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 12th, 2013, 19:15
$12.50 seems like too much money for Arcania and for an untouchable version of G3. I alreadly have G2 gold and G1 and G3. Now if it were $5, I'd probably hoard all these as digital Steam copies, and still never play Arcania.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2013, 20:29
Goo
Yep my final one (I have a playthrough to the end with it) is actually the 25% reduced of post #83 with the NPC visibility reduced a bit and the grass rendering increased a bit.
You can do a diff between this one and the default 1.75 one (or the one from the post #55 on the original thread) to see which values were changed and how much.
thank you

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

December 12th, 2013, 23:12
Anyone wants to give a go to Arcania's Expansion, don't be afraid it'll take away your freetime. It can be completed in 1-2 sittings, about 3-4 hours at best. That means looking into every nook and cranny. It confuses the Arcania story even more. You get to enter Setariff only to see it completely destroyed. Characters are bland shadows of their former selves, nothing makes sense. The whole thing reeks of having been part of the original game but cut out to make a cash-grab DLC. But if you - like myself - wanted to know the end of the story out of some misplaced sense of loyalty and mild curiousity, at least you'll get some closure and can hope someone one day salvages Gothic.

Forsaken Bugs… err. GODS, is quite mediocre. Even with the latest patches it still has some terrible bugs and some of the horrid design decisions cannot be patched out. Quests make little sense, and the story is moronic. Everything cool about Gothic 3's awesome conclusion is taken away from you, and the whole game is there to show you how nothing has come of your struggles through Gothic 3. You are dragged to the conclusion that feels forced. Then they try to explain it away in Arcania.

I still consider playing and replaying them a masochistic streak in my life, but I was so in love with Gothic's world and story that a part of me hoped it can be made better in my head.

So I recommend a replay of Gothic 3 with the comminity patches, and only give a go to the other games if you are totally in love with Gothic and don't mind seeing incompetent jerks crap on your old fav characters and stories.

And of course Gothic 1-2-3+Risen 1-2 music is a permanent tenant on my music platforms as well, you just can't get enough of them.

Soulbane

Seeker of knowledge

December 13th, 2013, 02:45
As long as you forget all about it having anything to do with Gothic, it's not that bad. It's an average action RPG all-round.
I can't touch ArcaniA. That witch in the demo scarred me for life.

Know my pain!

Dang it, the board software is changing minus minus to be a long dash and it's mangling the URL. How can I inflict pain in these conditions!?

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

December 13th, 2013, 08:05
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
I can't touch ArcaniA. That witch in the demo scarred me for life.

Know my pain!

Dang it, the board software is changing minus minus to be a long dash and it's mangling the URL. How can I inflict pain in these conditions!?
Oh God yes I remember what you mean! (this ) That was horrible

How could I forget! I think it was hidden in the deepest recesses of my subconscious

P.S Waste those scrolls ? Never! I'd have to talk to you again in that case

JonNik

SasqWatch

December 13th, 2013, 08:23
Originally Posted by Soulbane View Post
I still consider playing and replaying them a masochistic streak in my life, but I was so in love with Gothic's world and story that a part of me hoped it can be made better in my head.
Ouch. You are a braver man than me

OT: I sorta do that to myself too on some occasions. Watching Alien #4 when reviewing the Quadrilogy set is one example I can think of from the top of my head /offtopic

JonNik

SasqWatch

December 13th, 2013, 08:36
Wow, that's the most cringe worthy voice acting I've ever heard. Lyrca the Canadian witch eh?

greywolf00

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Steam - Arcania & Gothic Pack for 75% Off