|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Open World RPG

Default Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Open World RPG

December 19th, 2013, 13:04
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I'm disinterested. I play crpgs to escape from reality. I want ..women
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
We all do…
I thought we played to escape from them..

C

Crilloan

Sentinel

December 19th, 2013, 13:31
No. We play to escape from witches.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

December 19th, 2013, 13:52
That is a bad name but I like the idea. You could still fight a bunch of evil witches and religious heretics

"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable

December 19th, 2013, 15:02
I like the idea (setting) but kind of prefer it was story oriented (less open world?)

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor

December 19th, 2013, 17:15
They have no writers, you It's a bunch of programmers and artists, but nary a writer in the whole group.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

December 19th, 2013, 17:20
Awesome. I have been wishing for a medieval era historical rpg for years….will definitely be watching this more closely. I hope it does not reduce their sales numbers though as it seems the AAA studios seem to think you have to stick to fantasy to appeal to the widest audience.

I am a big medieval Buff to so a medieval world to play around in sounds awesome!

Saxon1974

Sentinel

December 19th, 2013, 18:13
Finally got the press release so here is some more information.

Sandbox Action RPG Set to Go Medieval on PC and Next-Gen Systems in 2015

Prague, Czech Republic – December 19, 2013 – Nearly 18 months after its inception, independent, Czech, video game development house Warhorse Studios today announced details of its debut title, Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Coming to PC and next-gen consoles in 2015, the game is an open world, action-adventure, role-playing game featuring blockbuster production values, a nonlinear story and revolutionary, first-person melee combat.

Leveraging decades of combined experience in AAA game development, including titles in the Mafia, Crysis, ArmA and Operation Flashpoint franchises, the creative talent powering Warhorse Studios is well-versed in pushing the boundaries of RPG storytelling in sprawling, immersive environments. “The team’s ambition for Kingdom Come: Deliverance is growing this ever-maturing sandbox genre in a believable, real-world context and scope,” remarked studio Creative Director Dan Vávra. “To that end, we’re harnessing CryENGINE®3, nonlinear narrative, varied freedom in character progression, and a consequence-laden living world in ways that have never been possible until now.”

Rooted within the Holy Roman Empire during the late Middle Ages, Kingdom Come: Deliverance promises a first-person seat to a harsh and brutal power struggle for the throne. As players traverse expansive, strikingly detailed locales, they’ll grapple with a range of period-accurate fighting techniques, horseback combat, open-field sieges, and large-scale battles, all while developing relationships and a reputation that will inform the greater story. Kingdom Come: Deliverance promises no magic, high fantasy or mythical overtones - it draws its inspiration instead from historically authentic characters, themes, and warfare.

Further details for Kingdom Come: Deliverance will be released on January 20, 2014. Get the latest news on the game from its Facebook page (www.facebook.com/kingdomcomerpg) and official site (www.kingdomcomerpg.com). Follow Warhorse on Facebook (www.facebook.com/WarhorseStudios) or Twitter (@WarhorseStudios) to get studio news.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

December 19th, 2013, 20:43
I like the historical vibe, but I hope it's more than just a shallow medieval sandbox simulation. Otherwise, it'll just be another victim to my large backlog at best…

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 19th, 2013, 21:42
Mafia is one of the best games ever made, and its director is directing this, and RPGs are his favourite genre.
His 3 favourite games of all time? :
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout New Vegas

…I have high hopes for this.

Paul

Watchdog

December 19th, 2013, 22:42
… but this game is still a medieval combat simulator just like all their games.
They have no writers, you It's a bunch of programmers and artists, but nary a writer in the whole group.
I have a feeling that you have this group confused with the Mount and Blade developers. This is a completely different, completely unrelated team, so no one really knows what to expect in the writing department

Although I'll need to see more, I'm very excited about the limited info about this game. I've always been drawn to semi-realistic combat mechanics (where you aren't running around the battlefield with a gigantic "sword of destiny" doing backflips and spraying meteors all over the place), but so few games actually attempt this. Gothic, Blade of Darkness, Dark Messiah, The Witcher, Mount and Blade, Skyrim…that's about all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm completely fine with magic in settings, but when it comes to melee combat, I want it to be "believable," even if it's in a fantasy setting. The fewer over-the-top "monsters" and frenetic click-fests, the better, so this is right up my alley.

As for the "escapism" factor, I have a hopeful feeling (judging from the screenshots and the little blurb Couch posted) that this game will be along the lines of Expeditions: Conquistador. As in, historical setting, but with enough leeway given for the sake of fun and impacting the game world. Also, if it is simulation/"realism" heavy, I think that a medieval setting is a pretty big "escape" from the modern times we live in, so I'd be open-minded to a simulation approach too.

Nerevarine

Keeper of the Watch

December 19th, 2013, 23:35
Color me intrigued. Both the setting and the open world aspect look quite appealing to me.

abharsair

Grumpmaster
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Open World RPG