|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Path of Exile - Game of the Year @Gamespot

Default Path of Exile - Game of the Year @Gamespot

December 18th, 2013, 11:41
Well this comes as a surprise it seems the F2P ARPG Path of Exile has won Gamespot's Game of the Year award. Usually some action game or FPS wins.

Who would have thought that Blizzard Entertainment, the uber-successful creator of the world's most revered action role-playing games, would be out-Diablo'd? A year after Diablo III was released, developer Grinding Gear Games created a dark and oppressive clickfest that seemingly rose from the ashes of Diablo II. After a notably long beta period, Path of Exile was released to great acclaim in 2013—yet, somehow, doesn't cost a penny to download, play, and love.

So yes, it's a wonder that Path of Exile is free, though you can certainly toss some cash the developerís way by buying unnecessary cosmetic enhancements. But Path of Exileís greatness has little to do with its price, or lack thereof, but is instead a result of its ridiculously complex skill tree, exciting action, and moody atmosphere. At first, the adventure hews closely to its obvious inspiration, but this familiarity is merely a stepping stone that allows Path of Exile to find its footing. Once it's clear you are on rock-solid ground, the game establishes an identity all its own—an identity that makes Path of Exile a worthy winner of GameSpot's award for 2013 PC game of the year.
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

December 18th, 2013, 11:41
Nice. Fun game, still playing it. Lots of loot and hacking and slashing.
PoE deserves this award imho.

Black Rune

Watcher

December 18th, 2013, 15:46
Well deserved! I've been hooked since it got released. It's like diablo 2 but….. now!

Thiraury

Watcher

December 18th, 2013, 16:34
I played PoE during beta and even tossed some coin their way and found it be to be ok but nothing that remarkable. I've always found Torchlight 1/2 to be superior for features, implementation, and fun for action RPGs. Gonna have to try it again I to see how it's changed over the many months.

Voqar

PC Gaming Snob

December 18th, 2013, 19:38
I have fairly high opinion of PoE but I don't think it deserves to be GOTY.Best aRPG in long time sure, but it's far from being best game or even RPG this year imo.

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

December 18th, 2013, 22:05
Originally Posted by Nameless one View Post
I have fairly high opinion of PoE but I don't think it deserves to be GOTY.Best aRPG in long time sure, but it's far from being best game or even RPG this year imo.
Out of curiosity, what is the best RPG this year then? I hardly remember any even being released. Avadon 2, Demonicon, ???

Stingray

Sentinel

December 18th, 2013, 23:02
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the best RPG this year then? I hardly remember any even being released. Avadon 2, Demonicon, ???
My favorite RPG this year is Expeditions:Conquistador followed by Space rangers HD and Paper sorcerer.

User Ihaterpg has made list of released RPGs and turn based stategies on another thread.

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

December 19th, 2013, 00:51
Yeah, forgot about a few things there. Still a pretty awful year for RPGs, the worst I can remember.

Stingray

Sentinel

December 19th, 2013, 00:59
Next year always looks better than this year, but almost always manages to disappoint. I think we all know why. At least I think I do.

OK, no more Debbie Downer.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 19th, 2013, 01:37
I don't think I was that bad year for RPGs there where good, I had really good fun with those games I mentioned+ also some games from list(PoE included).

But yes, it was expected for this to be big year, but practically every highly anticipated RPG got delayed to 2014.

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

December 19th, 2013, 07:04
Good game? Sure. Great game? Possibly. GotY? No.

I'd nominate Bioshock Infinite, personally.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

December 19th, 2013, 09:53
This is odd - they made goty of a game that is not milking scam-o-rama with season passes and similar crap.

Wait. That's actually not odd.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

December 23rd, 2013, 02:31
Made it to Act 3. Man I thought the Weaver was tough… That boss at the end of Act 2 was something else. Pretty hilarious to battle your way through multiple areas with no waypoints just to suffer the smack down. Good for a few levels though! Such an addictive game.

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Path of Exile - Game of the Year @Gamespot