|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Steam - DDoS Attacks by Troll Group

Default Steam - DDoS Attacks by Troll Group

January 5th, 2014, 01:16
Steam was attacked by a trolling group who keeps DDoSing the service. It seems they are attacking other sites also, and Arstechnica has the news on what's happening.

The servers for Steam, Origin, Battle.net, and League of Legends were brought down temporarily overnight by apparent DDoS attacks that seem to be related to a swatting attack on an individual known for streaming games. All of those services appear to be working normally as of this writing.

A hacker group going by the handle DERP Trolling claimed responsibility for the Origin attack on Twitter, saying it used a "Ion Cannon" DDoS tool it's calling the "Gaben Laser Beam," after Valve founder Gabe Newell. DERP claimed responsibility for similar attacks on Battle.net, League of Legends, World of Tanks, EA.com, and more earlier this week. Meanwhile, a pair of Twitter users are claiming responsibility for last night's attack on Steam.

All of these efforts to take down various games and platforms seem to be related to a swatting attack directed at YouTube user PhantomL0rd. A thread on reddit lays out how those attacks advanced from targeting the games PhantomL0rd was playing (and monetizing through ads) to more personal harassment after his address and details were released online. In a recent stream, PhantomL0rd reported on being handcuffed after having police called to his address.

DERP, for its part, denies being part of these more personal attacks on PhantomL0rd. The group's Twitter includes a phone number where users can apparently call or text in requests for sites to be targeted by these DDoS attacks, suggesting that it may be simply pointing its software at locations suggested by others.
Thank you jhwisner for sending in the link.

More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

January 5th, 2014, 01:16
I really don't understand modern life.

Pongo

Watchdog
RPGWatch Donor

January 5th, 2014, 01:18
I think these were the idiots that did something to SoE on Wednesday as well. Are people really that bored these days?? Seriously, if they've got this kind of time on their hands, I know some sidewalks that could use some clearing of snow and ice!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

January 5th, 2014, 02:24
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
Not much to understand, really. Same thing as vandalism. Been around forever. The tools might change, but man doesn't.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

January 5th, 2014, 12:09
SWTOR was affecterd as well - not during continental Europe sleep time, though, which means that the attackers must live in other time zones.

Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face View Post
The tools might change, but man doesn't.
And that's why I'm positive towards banning certain kinds of weapons, be it atom bombs or chemical bombs.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

January 5th, 2014, 13:35
I'd personally be more worried about the Hobgoblin group.

hishadow

Level N+1

January 6th, 2014, 21:38
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
It's much easier to destroy than it is to create. Always has been. I'd rather see attention being given to game developers and modders than these nobodies.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

January 6th, 2014, 22:29
I guess that explains why I couldn't log into Steam yesterday. Now if those Belarus hackers would stop trying to access my account, I'd be happy.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

January 6th, 2014, 22:38
Hmm, after reading this it makes me wonder if it was a scam to increase viewership and revenue.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

January 9th, 2014, 09:23
http://arstechnica.com/security/2014…ynch-protocol/

Some of the anatomy of the attack if anyone is interested. The good news is that the analysis may teach service providers how to better blunt this sort of attack in the future.

jhwisner

SasqWatch

January 10th, 2014, 13:27
Remember : "The own imagination is only suceeded by Reality."

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Steam - DDoS Attacks by Troll Group