|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » CD Projekt RED - New Witcher Board Game

Default CD Projekt RED - New Witcher Board Game

January 9th, 2014, 02:20
CD Projekt RED has an announcement of a new Witcher adventure board game.

We are thrilled to announce that The Witcher Adventure Game will be published by a marketplace leader in board game development and publishing Fantasy Flight Games.

“Fantasy Flight Games has an outstanding connection with board game fans worldwide and is well known for the highest quality of their titles. We’re really excited that we can join the party and expand The Witcher universe in such great company,” said Adam Badowski, Head of Studio, CD Projekt RED.

Ignacy Trzewiczek’s The Witcher Adventure Game takes players on a journey across the world of The Witcher as they assume the roles of four beloved characters from the books and computer games: Geralt of Rivia, monster slayer; Dandelion, roguish bard; Triss Merigold, cunning sorceress; and Yarpen Zigrin, dwarven warrior. A variety of quests invite players to hunt monsters, earn gold on dangerous missions, and interact with the characters they meet in a web of alliances and treachery.

“We are very pleased to partner with CD Projekt RED on The Witcher Adventure Game. The story and the setting of The Witcher really lends itself to an adventure board game. We’re looking forward to players being able to craft their own narrative during the course of the game,” said Steve Horvath, Senior VP of Communication and Digital Business for Fantasy Flight Games.

Watch the Teaser Video for a taste of what’s to come and visit the newly launched website for further details.

The game is slated to a worldwide release in 2014.
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

January 9th, 2014, 02:20
Looks nice, but the majority of board games never are released in my country…

gandalf.nho

Huntress

January 9th, 2014, 02:23
That was disappointing. I see "New Witcher Adventure Game" as the thread title and assume we're talking about a PC game…

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 9th, 2014, 02:29
- Tabletop
- Sandbox
- Phonegame

All of it. But there is no adventure in it.

Dunno, if any of my friends show an interest into a new whatever game with cards I'll buy the physical version. No matter how I love their released RPGs, the phonegame is no.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

January 9th, 2014, 02:30
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
That was disappointing. I see "New Witcher Adventure Game" as the thread title and assume we're talking about a PC game…
The post has a picture so I'm guessing you probably used the forums to check new comments. Let me go change the name to avoid more confusion.
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
- Tabletop
- Sandbox
- Phonegame

All of it. But there is no adventure in it..
Joker CD Projekt called it an Adventure game not me. Go complain to them.
"The Witcher Adventure Game to be published by Fantasy Flight Games"

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

January 9th, 2014, 14:55
Sounds like what Larian tried to do with DC; though to be honest I think DC would work better as a board game at least in concept; obviuosly can't judge since I played neither of these board games.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor

January 9th, 2014, 15:03
As a frequent board game gamer I love this idea. I'm just hoping it's well thought out and not just a way to milk the brand.

Speak your own words of wisdom instead of quoting someone else's.

NyxVampiria

Semidevilish

January 9th, 2014, 19:05
For me this is very interesting news, I wouldn't mind at all playing a well made Witcher board game.

Fantasy Flight Games has published several very popular board games/card games like Arkham Horror and the Lord of the Rings living card game (see e.g. BoardGameGeek's game list for rankings).

I had not heard of the designer, Ignacy Trzewiczek, before, but I was just uninformed - it turns out he has designed several well received games like Stronghold, Convoy, 51st State, and Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island. I found a 2011 interview with him at OpinionatedGamers.

Overall, those good signs make me hopeful they'll produce a good game.

JaakkoPeltonen

Traveler

January 9th, 2014, 20:12
I'm not a great lover of board games…I have played and enjoyed a few like Catan and the the Elder Sign, but anything of middling complexity (like the Game Of Thrones board game!! *fume*froth* ) is simply not enjoyable for me. I looked at this very quickly and said 'nah'.

booboo

Keeper of the Watch

January 10th, 2014, 00:52
This has been in the works for some time now, I've seen images of the board.

Needless to say I'm very excited. I've been playing and collecting board games for over a decade now, and this one fits my kinda games. Plus I love everything Witcher.

And since Fantasy Flight games is pure awesomeness when it comes to game design (both rules and materials) I am 100% sure this is gonna be a great game. Also CDPR is also a guarantee for quality. Preordering as I'm typing.

My only gripe is too few characters to choose from. I could live with twice as many, but meh.

Soulbane

Seeker of knowledge

January 10th, 2014, 02:46
Originally Posted by Soulbane View Post
This has been in the works for some time now, I've seen images of the board.

Needless to say I'm very excited. I've been playing and collecting board games for over a decade now, and this one fits my kinda games. Plus I love everything Witcher.

And since Fantasy Flight games is pure awesomeness when it comes to game design (both rules and materials) I am 100% sure this is gonna be a great game. Also CDPR is also a guarantee for quality. Preordering as I'm typing.

My only gripe is too few characters to choose from. I could live with twice as many, but meh.
Me too on the Insta buy. The only thing I like collecting, hoarding and not playing more than my videogames are board games. And fantasy flight games are the best. When I can play them they are great but I must have 30 of them from my years at Gen Con just sitting in their beautiful boxes on my shelf. That shelf does look good though— like game store good.

benetar

Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » CD Projekt RED - New Witcher Board Game