|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Divinity Games » Divinity Original Sin » Divinity: Original Sin

Default Divinity: Original Sin

April 19th, 2014, 10:03
I somehow lost track its current release date. In my personal notes it's still April 25th, but I somehow remember that it has been delayed further?
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

#1

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 811

Default 

April 19th, 2014, 13:03
It's "spring", they didn't give any specific dates.

The current beta is apparently quite close to a finished product though (I only tried the character customization so I took the info from the official forum), most people speculate May/Early June for release.
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#2

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,415

Default 

April 20th, 2014, 00:27
There will be a 'significant' update by the end of next week, but it is still only in beta. With all the reported bugs in beta, I do not expect the final release for some time. I'm happy for that if it means it's relatively bug free on release!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Corwin is online now

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

#3

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,344
Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

Default 

April 20th, 2014, 00:32
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
There will be a 'significant' update by the end of next week, but it is still only in beta. With all the reported bugs in beta, I do not expect the final release for some time. I'm happy for that if it means it's relatively bug free on release!!
Larain & Bug-Free don't belong in the same sentence. Just read Swen's blog were he talks about the developers problems with past, and recent games.

I'm going to say I don't see this game being finished till the end of this year.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

#4

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 8,771

Default 

April 20th, 2014, 00:47
Less bugs = more fun. Will it be released now or during xmas time, couldn't care less.
I don't expect a bug free release, but I do expect no time wasting on fixing rare bugs almost noone notices and fix gamestopper critical stuff instead of take the money, leave it unpatched and invest in MMO leaving it to modders.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#5

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,705

Default 

April 20th, 2014, 00:53
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Larain & Bug-Free don't belong in the same sentence. Just read Swen's blog were he talks about the developers problems with past, and recent games.

I'm going to say I don't see this game being finished till the end of this year.
Yes I remember that Swen wrote he used to manually patch savegames (I mean himself) in Divine Divinity as customer support…
But, I assume that D:OS will be different, I mean, now they have full control of any aspect of the game (except distribution, I guess).
Sumerisle is offline

Sumerisle

Watcher

#6

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 90

Default 

April 20th, 2014, 00:54
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Less bugs = more fun. Will it be released now or during xmas time, couldn't care less.
I don't expect a bug free release, but I do expect no time wasting on fixing rare bugs almost noone notices and fix gamestopper critical stuff instead of take the money, leave it unpatched and invest in MMO leaving it to modders.
You must have a bunch of free time to always complain about Bethesda Mr. Parrot.
Originally Posted by Sumerisle View Post
But, I assume that D:OS will be different, I mean, now they have full control of any aspect of the game (except distribution, I guess).
I agree but time will tell as they say. Wasn't Dragon Commander also funded with kickstarter? I could be wrong, but I remember the game had a bunch of bugs.

Update: Thanks for the correction Sumerisle.

Anyway I'm more interested in Torment, and Pillars of Eternity. I'll play Original Sin at some point, but it's not a pirioty for me right now.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato
Last edited by Couchpotato; April 20th, 2014 at 08:21.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

#7

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 8,771

Default 

April 20th, 2014, 01:26
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
I agree but time will tell as they. Wasn't Dragon Commander also funded with kickstarter? I could be wrong, but I remember the game had a bunch of bugs.
No, They offered Dragon Commander as a reward for the $80 Tier on D:OS KS by request of the fans, but DC was entirely a different project and wasn't on KS.
I played DC at launch, I couldn't find bugs. Most of the patches added better AI and balance.
Sumerisle is offline

Sumerisle

Watcher

#8

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 90

Default 

April 20th, 2014, 12:39
Originally Posted by Sumerisle View Post
Yes I remember that Swen wrote he used to manually patch savegames (I mean himself) in Divine Divinity as customer support…
I was there, during these times. Ragon and me (but Ragon much more) did a free job on the forums by giving first clues, and funneling customer bug reports on the forums so that the developers were better able to handle them. That was a very stressing and hectic time.

I haven't heard of Ragon for a few years now, and I fear that he might be no more. Same goes for Bronthion.

This reminds me that I need to log in into the Larian forums again. I haven't been there for at least half a year.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#9

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,868

Default 

April 21st, 2014, 01:38
Well I hope it's not bug free! I don't want to sit around for an extra year while they squash bugs that don't really matter all that much. "Relatively bug free" will be just fine, thanks.

I played around in alpha and beta a bit but didn't go far. The tutorial dungeon seemed a bit dull so hopefully they can do something about that. It's got old school pacing, too, meaning that you'll do a little fighting right near the start then get big bunches of plot and starting quests as you roam around in the first city. (Though I did find some fighting to do when I dug under… well, you'll see.)
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?

#10

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,648

Default 

April 21st, 2014, 15:35
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
You must have a bunch of free time to always complain about Bethesda Mr. Parrot.
Mr. Parrot!

I take it you're playing TESO which is why you choose not to report the massive amounts of bad feedback or major bugs that are getting people permanently banned?

Biased information isn't helping the site or its users, just your own ego, Mr. Potato.

Everything Joxer has been saying is perfectly valid and even useful to people who are considering a purchase, unlike only reporting the "good" things and snapping at people with a conflicting, perhaps unbiased, view.

One almost has to wonder if you're working for Bethesda marketing department. How about a little journalistic integrity?

Let's take a look at some of the real TESO news that you choose not to report.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com…t-account-bans

Originally Posted by Bethesda
As part of our continuing effort to combat gold spammers, botters and exploiters, we recently banned a number of accounts. After several players appealed, we were able to investigate the matter further and discovered some legitimate accounts got caught up in the sweep. We unbanned accounts last night, and have email responses going out for those affected from our support group. It is never our intention for legitimate players to be harmed as we work to keep your game free of cheaters, and we sincerely apologize for the mistake.
Isn't information like this helpful to readers of the site looking at buying this game? If it wasn't for readers like Joxer and myself telling it like it is pretty soon people will think this site is taking bribes and ignore it altogether.

Report the FULL news please and don't stand against free speech by calling people with valid opinions parrots!

PS. Hold off on playing original sin as long as you can and then a bit longer for at least one more patch.
SirJames is offline

SirJames

SirJames's Avatar
Sentinel

#11

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 516

Default 

April 21st, 2014, 16:09
Erm…
I believe Coach is doing a great job with news, and I admit I write about some things perhaps too many times. The reason we didn't see this, let's say scandal although it could be just a good old human error, in news is probably because it's impossible to track every bit of news on everything.

Oh and I'm not playing ESO. And don't plan to, really. ESO is not what I want. I want an official TES5 patch that at least fixes two mainquest gamestopper bugs. I'm not the only player who got it, there are many reports out there, hell even my sister in law had them kicking in. I'm not talking about a rare crash on an ancient machine that's easily fixed by game restart if the game is not patched.
And I want that patch for years now.
Until that, lemme repeat official, patch arrives, you can't expect me to say there is absolutely nothing wrong with Bethesda. Do you praise a car if the motor farts every few miles so you have to visit local car "quack doctors"? No, you say that the car sux.

Back to the topic, I won't play beta of D:OS.
Dunno if I can, maybe I can't. I am KS backer and I want a final game. Doesn't matter to me if it'll be released today, in a few weeks or in a few months. I'm not JoWood to force selling of G3 beta.
I don't expect no bug in Original Sin, it's impossible to notice and weed out everything prior to the release. If a sidequest can't be finished, if I didn't receive XP or cash for some small fetch quest, I really won't object. But I do expect no bugs at least with main quest(s).

Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; April 21st, 2014 at 16:29.
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#12

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,705

Default 

April 21st, 2014, 17:21
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Erm…
I believe Coach is doing a great job with news, and I admit I write about some things perhaps too many times. The reason we didn't see this, let's say scandal although it could be just a good old human error, in news is probably because it's impossible to track every bit of news on everything.
What I hear though the grapevine is scandal after scandal from unhappy players. Somehow I find it hard to believe I'm more informed than the watch since I hardly care about TESO. Overlooked is one thing, but I feel like the bad news is being purposefully omited.
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Oh and I'm not playing ESO. And don't plan to, really. ESO is not what I want. I want an official TES5 patch that at least fixes two mainquest gamestopper bugs. I'm not the only player who got it, there are many reports out there, hell even my sister in law had them kicking in. I'm not talking about a rare crash on an ancient machine that's easily fixed by game restart if the game is not patched.
And I want that patch for years now.
Until that, lemme repeat official, patch arrives, you can't expect me to say there is absolutely nothing wrong with Bethesda. Do you praise a car if the motor farts every few miles so you have to visit local car "quack doctors"? No, you say that the car sux.
You won't see a fix if they wont see a return in $. Besides, if you knew what the real TES team was working on you might forgive them for not working on bug fixes.
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Back to the topic, I won't play beta of D:OS.
Dunno if I can, maybe I can't. I am KS backer and I want a final game. Doesn't matter to me if it'll be released today, in a few weeks or in a few months. I'm not JoWood to force selling of G3 beta.
I don't expect no bug in Original Sin, it's impossible to notice and weed out everything prior to the release. If a sidequest can't be finished, if I didn't receive XP or cash for some small fetch quest, I really won't object. But I do expect no bugs at least with main quest(s).
But is Larian Joewood? The track record kinda says yes? If you recall in Divine Divinity their publisher wanted another environment tileset to show in screenshots which is where you get that extremely rushed and un-fun final section with the new skills.
Divinity2 at launch was a revolting mess of bugs and Larian even said the game wasn't up to their standards until the expansion (which I didn't play, though I did play Div2 through.)
But now we have no publisher forcing a launch, but also the horrible Early Access "soft launch". You can buy it now, you can play it now. It's out and its a mess.(Alpha impressions) Perhaps we need to wait for its first expansion before its up to Larian standards, as with Div2? Since they've got all the kickstarter money and all the early access launch money they can pretty much assume thats the bulk of their sales and they were all made without having a quality game made. How much $ return will they get for working on it further? They're better off focusing on sales of the expansion already and they game isn't even technically out yet.

PS. No hard feelings though, Potato. I know I can have quite a tone, but my intentions are golden. Also, as a parrot owner I only like to hear them mentioned in association with good things!
SirJames is offline

SirJames

SirJames's Avatar
Sentinel

#13

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 516

Default 

April 21st, 2014, 17:36
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
Mr. Parrot!

I take it you're playing TESO which is why you choose not to report the massive amounts of bad feedback or major bugs that are getting people permanently banned?

Biased information isn't helping the site or its users, just your own ego, Mr. Potato.

Everything Joxer has been saying is perfectly valid and even useful to people who are considering a purchase, unlike only reporting the "good" things and snapping at people with a conflicting, perhaps unbiased, view.

One almost has to wonder if you're working for Bethesda marketing department. How about a little journalistic integrity?

Let's take a look at some of the real TESO news that you choose not to report.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com…t-account-bans



Isn't information like this helpful to readers of the site looking at buying this game? If it wasn't for readers like Joxer and myself telling it like it is pretty soon people will think this site is taking bribes and ignore it altogether.

Report the FULL news please and don't stand against free speech by calling people with valid opinions parrots!

PS. Hold off on playing original sin as long as you can and then a bit longer for at least one more patch.
All valid points sir James.

Except I didn't see joxer post any of the things you did. All I saw was his usually drivel that he posts in every thread and is off topic more often than not. I don't find joxers info useful at all as it's most often very general and snide. It's meant to disparage the company not help others.

I for one would support any moderator that was willing to crack down on his spamming almost every thread with his Bethesda, bioware,bugs,grinding, blah,blah,blah. It would make my expierence here much more enjoyable.

I'm not say everything should be positive all the time and what you posted above seems valid ( as I haven't played ESO) the spamming and generalizations of joxer do not.

Sorry for the off topic.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#14

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,120

Default 

April 21st, 2014, 17:53
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
All valid points sir James.

Except I didn't see joxer post any of the things you did. All I saw was his usually drivel that he posts in every thread and is off topic more often than not. I don't find joxers info useful at all as it's most often very general and snide. It's meant to disparage the company not help others.

I for one would support any moderator that was willing to crack down on his spamming almost every thread with his Bethesda, bioware,bugs,grinding, blah,blah,blah. It would make my expierence here much more enjoyable.

I'm not say everything should be positive all the time and what you posted above seems valid ( as I haven't played ESO) the spamming and generalizations of joxer do not.

Sorry for the off topic.
Yes, well, erm… I suppose I'm really talking about my own recent negative posts about ESO and just lumped Joxer in the same catagory as they're anti-bethesda and somehow over-reacted to the parrot comment and took it all personally.

If I'm being completely transparent, I'm annoyed that ESO exists at all as I'd really love to see a co-op skyrim, or even a co-op OpenMW (if anyone's listening!), but not another bloody grind-fest MMORPG. I've played so many and none of them entertain me for very long and they all seem to be played mostly singleplayer with a few real multiplayer parts like instances and PVP.

I feel like Bethesda will be saying "Ok, should we add multiplayer to the next TES game or should we force all the people who want a multiplayer TES game to play the subscription based MMO?"

Dark Souls style is a great direction for MMORPGS to move in because you still have those multiplayer parts, but then your singleplayer parts can be played with 0 ping and you can actually have good gameplay and not laggy MMO "rotation" style gameplay.

For some reason Dark Souls 2 can have thousands of players, dedicated servers and not try to milk you with a subscription fee AND item mall AND retail game price, like ESO does… Also, Guildwars2?

On topic, I really want a game like Divinity:OS! Co-op RPG with sandbox qualities. I'm harsh on it because Its one of my most wanted games and I want it to be the best it can.
Last edited by SirJames; April 21st, 2014 at 18:07.
SirJames is offline

SirJames

SirJames's Avatar
Sentinel

#15

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 516

Default 

April 21st, 2014, 20:06
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
Yes, well, erm… I suppose I'm really talking about my own recent negative posts about ESO and just lumped Joxer in the same catagory as they're anti-bethesda and somehow over-reacted to the parrot comment and took it all personally.
Sir James the parrot comment is from another thread where I called Joxer out on his usual drivel. It's also a joke about the same things he says in almost every thread.

Here is what I was referring to.
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
We can't draw nice things = indie "retro", "roguelike", "whatevertohidethefact" game
We can't code an AI = MMO
We can't make a decent story = MMO or SP grinder

We can do all of those stuff?
Epic singleplayer RPG.

I wish this game here ends like Amalur.
So relax as I got a new news-bit about the account bans to post tonight. I'm sure I will get replies about how it's a stupid news-bit once again. I can't win either way as I always get flak about posting/not posting news.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

#16

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 8,771

Default 

April 21st, 2014, 20:30
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
Mr. Parrot!
Oh, the one from that Monty Python scene has a name now ?

Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
It's out and its a mess.(Alpha impressions)
Alpha is ALWAYS a mess !

I assume that you don't know much about releasye cycles ?

Now people assume that not only the Beta is bug-free, but now even the Alpha ???

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#17

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,868

Default 

April 21st, 2014, 21:16
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
Yes, well, erm… I suppose I'm really talking about my own recent negative posts about ESO and just lumped Joxer in the same catagory as they're anti-bethesda and somehow over-reacted to the parrot comment and took it all personally.

If I'm being completely transparent, I'm annoyed that ESO exists at all as I'd really love to see a co-op skyrim, or even a co-op OpenMW (if anyone's listening!), but not another bloody grind-fest MMORPG. I've played so many and none of them entertain me for very long and they all seem to be played mostly singleplayer with a few real multiplayer parts like instances and PVP.

I feel like Bethesda will be saying "Ok, should we add multiplayer to the next TES game or should we force all the people who want a multiplayer TES game to play the subscription based MMO?"

Dark Souls style is a great direction for MMORPGS to move in because you still have those multiplayer parts, but then your singleplayer parts can be played with 0 ping and you can actually have good gameplay and not laggy MMO "rotation" style gameplay.

For some reason Dark Souls 2 can have thousands of players, dedicated servers and not try to milk you with a subscription fee AND item mall AND retail game price, like ESO does… Also, Guildwars2?

On topic, I really want a game like Divinity:OS! Co-op RPG with sandbox qualities. I'm harsh on it because Its one of my most wanted games and I want it to be the best it can.
I can understand what your saying as I too would love to see a co-op skyrim or especially a true co-op dark souls. MMO's serve there purpose though and have a large audience, so I can understand that side as well. Although, I haven't found one I want to play yet.

The co-op is one of my main interests in D:OS. Very curious to see how the conflict between the characters gets resolved. I hope it doesn't just come down to I have 12 strength and you have 11 so I win the intimidation check. I hope it's deeper than that.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#18

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,120

Default 

April 22nd, 2014, 00:35
May I also point out that a couple of years ago this site decided to cut down/out posting about MMO news since there didn't seem to be much interest here and none of the other staff wanted to spend time on it. We even stopped our MMOWatch sub-site. The fact that Couch takes the time to post some MMO news should be treated as a BONUS. Jimbo, if you want to see more 'balanced' news on TESO (or any other game) then PLEASE volunteer to assist with news posting; it's a VERY time consuming and under-appreciated unpaid job!!!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Corwin is online now

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

#19

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,344
Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Divinity Games » Divinity Original Sin » Divinity: Original Sin
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:26.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch