|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » S.T.A.L.K.E.R. graphical overhaul recommendations

Default S.T.A.L.K.E.R. graphical overhaul recommendations

February 5th, 2014, 01:15
I was thinking about trying out the Stalker series again; I never really got into them despite being right up my alley of interests.

Does someone have recommendations on a graphical overhaul package that doesn't change vanilla gameplay drastically? And doesn't introduce excessive bugs? I took a look via Google recently but the availability of 2-3 (or more) of these packages was somewhat confusing for a person with little prior experience with the game for context.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

February 5th, 2014, 04:12
Here you go.
Hope it's what you're looking for.

enodenroH

There is no spoon

February 5th, 2014, 04:57
Yeah, that's one of the few I spotted through Google. Have you tried that one out, enodenroH? I'm looking for something that's stable and doesn't overly affect vanilla gameplay.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

February 5th, 2014, 05:10
From what I recall, Stalker Complete makes very few changes to the gameplay, and the changes it does make fit in naturally.

JonNik is the local expert on the Stalker series and its mods. He'll be here as soon as he sees the thread title.

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 5th, 2014, 05:16
I've been wanting to get this game, but I keep forgetting about it. What do you guys think about it? Does it live up to the pre-release hype?

DarNoor

SasqWatch

Default S.T.A.L.K.E.R. graphical overhaul recommendations

February 5th, 2014, 05:32
Fwiw I ran into a game stopping bug with complete 2009

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

February 5th, 2014, 05:51
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
From what I recall, Stalker Complete makes very few changes to the gameplay, and the changes it does make fit in naturally.
What he said (mainly atmosphere and graphical tweaks)

I have heard about game stopping bugs too for the Complete mods but I have never encountered them myself on several replays(and do not play the games without them). You always have to take that chance with complete overhauls like this. You could get a very decent looking game with a mix of mods you could do yourself I imagine but frankly I never bothered…

JonNik

SasqWatch

February 5th, 2014, 05:57
Originally Posted by DarNoor View Post
I've been wanting to get this game, but I keep forgetting about it. What do you guys think about it? Does it live up to the pre-release hype?
I think Shadows of Chernobyl is phenomenal if you like atmopheric shooters. It's also one of the few first-person shooters that has as much freedom as it does. The only negative thing about the series is how buggy they are. Most of the bugs are fixed with the Complete mod though, and there are also other unofficial patches/mods for bugs.

Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
Fwiw I ran into a game stopping bug with complete 2009
It can't be any worse than the gazillion bugs in the vanilla version.

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 5th, 2014, 10:00
I've played all three STALKER games; really got into them when my post-apocalyptic itch was at its most intense, to which they served very well indeed.

I've also used the Complete mods for both Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat and can recommend them in particular for both atmospheric and audio enhancements.

In Shadows of Chernobyl, I especially recall that making my way through Pripyat towards the end was much more intense and bleak simply due to the nature of the much more sinister ambient audio.

Also, the weather storm anomalies in Call of Pripyat have quite a powerful sense of awe to them when they occur and actually induce some strong reactions when you're in the open. However, there are some unusual zombie oriented game-play additions from memory which could be grating and throw one out of the regular setting/canon, but these options can easily be disabled.

Ironically, I'm yet to try the Complete mod for arguably the buggiest of the three games (at least in my experience) Clear Sky. This thread has definitely reminded me of that fact and subsequently raised its status as such in my backlog. Thanks and all the best in your modding choices.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Last edited by Pessimeister; February 5th, 2014 at 11:46.

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

February 5th, 2014, 10:21
IIRC biggest gameplay change in complete edition was improved AI.Enemies are actively trying to flank you, and they use cover and grenades well.It makes complete edition lot more challenging in some areas.

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

February 5th, 2014, 11:11
Its also little things like adding a bedroll in SoC where it wasn't default etc. Minor and always enhancing.

For CoP in the Emmisions described above you could choose the fate of NPCs that were caught outside of shelter. I always choose Zombie for an extra dose of Madness and mayhem after the lightshow (that is a bit less minor but fun and optional )

I love those games to death as JDR implied above and you might have surmised and was mostly in it for the Atmosphere and sandbox experience. Now, who wants to take my money and make me #2 ?

P.S Another replay is definitely in the books probably next year though. Hmm I'll declare 2015 the year of creepy and play exclusively Dark Souls games interspaced with Stalkers!
Awesome! (Nah I am kidding… I'll definitely throw the Gothics and the Witchers in there too )

JonNik

SasqWatch

February 5th, 2014, 12:10
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Does someone have recommendations on a graphical overhaul package…
The Complete mods are the only thing you really need to enjoy the series ; that's a must have, a great visual overhaul that doesn't change the gameplay in depth but refines it in many beneficial ways. It's really easy to install and changes the appearance of the games tremendously.
I would also recommend a mod manager like Smart mod manager and only one of the mods that improve your weapons, like Realistic weapons Add-on. All that on top of the official patches when required.

Gloo

Sentinel

February 6th, 2014, 01:06
Yeah, that's one of the few I spotted through Google. Have you tried that one out, enodenroH? I'm looking for something that's stable and doesn't overly affect vanilla gameplay.
Hello Drithius.

Unfortunately, I have not tried it. I'm saving it for later though.

I've been hanging out at Reddit and have found a link that might interest you if you have the time to look around. Maybe there is something there that might catch your eye. See the sub-reddit at /r/stalker.

There is a mod that seems quite nice but might not be what you're looking for :

Autumn Aurora 2.

Opinons on Complete 2009 and AA2.

There's also S.T.A.L.K.E.R. OBLIVION LOST 2.2.

"Top 5 Mods".

Well, that's enough for now. I'll let you do some homework.
Last edited by enodenroH; February 6th, 2014 at 01:27. Reason: Added link to Oblivion lost and another link - Top 5.

enodenroH

There is no spoon

February 6th, 2014, 01:58
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
It can't be any worse than the gazillion bugs in the vanilla version.

Probably, but then again that's the first thing you expect to have been dealt with by overhaul mods. Wonder what happened to complete 2012.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

February 6th, 2014, 02:20
Nice list, enodenroH! Zone Reclamation Project is another one of the mods I had googled. Seems like a good mod but not sure about using it for first real playthrough. Looking like I'll be using 2009 in conjunction with the game after I finish up my M&M Legacy game.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

February 6th, 2014, 02:42
Nice list, enodenroH! Zone Reclamation Project is another one of the mods I had googled. Seems like a good mod but not sure about using it for first real playthrough. Looking like I'll be using 2009 in conjunction with the game after I finish up my M&M Legacy game.
Thanks.

I have another one that's exclusively a graphics overhaul. Enjoy!

Absolute Texture Pack.

enodenroH

There is no spoon

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » S.T.A.L.K.E.R. graphical overhaul recommendations