|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mass Effect - Retrospective @ Gamemoir

Default Mass Effect - Retrospective @ Gamemoir

January 21st, 2014, 03:35
Gamemoir takes a a look back at the Mass Effect series, and talks about what made it stand out from other games.

Mass Effect was announced on October 4th, 2005 and in retrospect the description afforded the game fell far short of doing justice to the product which was eventually released in 2007.

Team Xbox’s Brent Soboleski wrote:

“As the first human Spectre – sworn defenders of galactic peace – your mission is to halt the advancing armies of a legendary agent gone rogue. But as you lead your elite team across hostile alien worlds, you will discover the true threat is far greater than anyone imagined.”

It sounds so utterly generic, doesn’t it?

When players ultimately got their hands on the game those “hostile alien worlds” were found to be worth visiting time and again for the story BioWare had crafted and the species which populated those planets.

The characters which populated Shepard’s team proved to be so popular that Garrus and Tali both became love interests in the later games while Wrex returned as a squad mate for Citadel. Their conversations in the elevators of the galaxy’s heart of government, the Presidium, illuminated a universe with an ornate history dating millennia.

As time passed and gamers delved deeper into the overarching narrative of the trilogy, it emerged that Mass Effect’s past covered hundreds of thousands of years if not longer and as with the Halo series, the technology which powered the galaxy was built on the remnants of those who had come before.
More information.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

January 21st, 2014, 03:35
What made it stand out was Garrus. Oh, and Mako.
Everything else was kinda "meh". Except of course Miranda's backside, but noone should say that, kids are reading this.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

January 21st, 2014, 04:08
Garrus did make it stand out, yes But I also think some of ME2 characters are very well written - I actually liked most of them, even Jack. But yes, Garrus was consistently good throughout the whole series. And eh.. about Mako… I hope you meant it stood out in a bad way? I HATED it, that was worse than driving in Halo series.

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus

purpleblob

Princess

January 21st, 2014, 09:18
I liked the Mako..

Well, not driving around in impossible terrain but the feeling of exploring alien worlds.
Looking up at a foreign sky and strange moons.

C

Crilloan

Sentinel

January 21st, 2014, 11:58
Originally Posted by Crilloan View Post
I liked the Mako..

Well, not driving around in impossible terrain but the feeling of exploring alien worlds.

C
Yes, it generally worked well on the main quest missions where it was used. These worlds were better crafted and better suited to the Mako. The generic worlds often had terrain that made it bounce around like a rubber ball though, so that was rather annoying.

Honestly, fixing it would not have been a big deal, and I really would've preferred that to the planet scanning thing. Exploring different planets across the galaxy was a lot of fun.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

January 21st, 2014, 12:06
I liked Liara the most, I believe.

I agree that Mako exploration should have been expanded and improved, not taken away.

Then again, that's my opinion about a lot of things that happened after the first game.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 21st, 2014, 17:21
I remember stopping in every new planet in ME1 to take pictures of the different alien skies, one of the more fantastic looking ones was one with a giant blue sun so close you can see the surface movements…

gandalf.nho

Huntress

January 21st, 2014, 17:27
Mako was fun as hell… I always thought they should have expanded its use instead of scrapping it. Too many folks complained about how lanky the controls were with a gamepad, though. Fuck them!

My favorite characters were Tali, Ashley, Jack & Garrus— the rest were always left on the ship.

ChaosTheory

SasqWatch

January 21st, 2014, 21:44
Originally Posted by Crilloan View Post
I liked the Mako..

C
Starbound is a must try in that case.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

January 21st, 2014, 23:26
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Mako was fun as hell… I always thought they should have expanded its use instead of scrapping it. Too many folks complained about how lanky the controls were with a gamepad, though. Fuck them!
Oh, gee, thanks

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus

purpleblob

Princess

January 22nd, 2014, 15:05
after playing through ME3 I had an urge to replay the whole series but was put off by the whole Mako exploring every planet. When I eventually relented, I found that it was a more rewarding experience than scanning the blumin' planets in ME2 or the sonar style ping of ME3.

LostWelshman

Traveler

January 22nd, 2014, 15:15
Mordin Solus.
Imho he is one of the best and most underestimated NPCs ever. His personal concert for Sheperd was outstanding.
But in earnest, I really liked his conflict, having created the Genophage and so on, now (perhaps) going to cure it, both being the correct logical decisions at the given time. Scientific mastermind, but in fact a simple person with simple goals.

Ahsley, Garrus, Liara, Tali, Wrex, Anderson, Mordin, Joker, Jack, Legion, Miranda, Thane (THANE!!!)… I really like them all. The game really made me feeling somehow close to them. So far I've experienced this only in books.

Morrandir

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

January 22nd, 2014, 18:38
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
Oh, gee, thanks
Well not you… But everyone else!

ChaosTheory

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mass Effect - Retrospective @ Gamemoir