|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Might & Magic X - Now Available

Default Might & Magic X - Now Available

January 23rd, 2014, 13:02
You can now buy Might & Magic X: Legacy on Steam, or Uplay. I also have a few reviews I will post later, but for now here is the Steam details.

Now Available on Steam - Might & Magic® X - Legacy

Might & Magic® X - Legacy is Now Available on Steam!

Might & Magic® X Legacy is an authentic solo experience in the classic first-person RPG genre. Create and lead your group into an exciting open world and battle mythical powerful creatures while collecting ancient magical treasures!

After a decade, a Might & Magic® RPG is back with both the unique core formula and a new set of improved and fine-tuned features. The best RPG of its class!
In the wake of the spectacular events in Might & Magic® Heroes® VI, you will play in a party of four adventurers entangled in intrigue and political machinations unfolding in and around Karthal. The city, on the verge of secession, is prey to competing factions vying for its control. Your actions will determine the fate of the city.

More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

January 23rd, 2014, 13:02
I also have a few reviews I will post later
Grr. Please, can you advise whether it is worth the $25 at least?

Reyla

Sentinel

January 23rd, 2014, 13:13
Here I'll post both reviews I hope they help you.

PCGAMER - 73/100

Link- http://www.pcgamer.com/review/might-…legacy-review/
What gives Legacy its old school charm though is that as much as it's weighed down by an obviously low budget and the mechanical sacrifices of jumping back a decade, there's a love for its style underpinning the action. The result isn't likely to do much for anyone raised on a diet of The Elder Scrolls, and even at its best is a nostalgia trip rather than call for revolution. Even so, for old-school RPG fans as sad as its creators seem to be that nobody makes games like this any more, it’s a solid way to relive the good old days.
StrategyInformer - 6.5/10

Link - http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/m…82/review.html
These caveats are not minor ones, and it's important that people don't rush into buying the game from blind nostalgia without some idea of its not inconsiderable technical deficiencies. However, I still enjoyed my time with the game, no matter how gleefully it tried to stop me doing so. This is a genre that, Legends of Grimrock aside, you just don't see nowadays, and it's undeniably good to see it making something of a comeback. Exploring ogre caves, elemental temples and naga towers with my intrepid band of badly optimised warriors still somehow managed to be fun, despite the chugging performance and irritation of grid-based overland movement. If you can look past these blemishes there's plenty of fun to be had with Might and Magic X, but it could have done with a lot more polish.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

January 23rd, 2014, 13:28
this is firmly a game of 20% exploration, 70% combat, and everything else fighting over the scraps.
Considering this and the games that are to be released in the next weeks and months, I think I'll skip that one.

Morrandir

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

January 23rd, 2014, 13:29
I wouldn't rely on reviews done by a bunch of idiots though since they give the low scores just because it is an old school game and not based on whether the game is good or not. If you loved the pre-6 Might & Magic games then likely you will like this game and what I saw of it playing the beginning of the game back when it was first available it looks really good. My second and third most favorite games of all time are World of Xeen and Might and Magic 3 and I still replay the games and still love them.
Last edited by guenthar; January 24th, 2014 at 06:40.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

January 23rd, 2014, 13:49
I'll play when I'm done with Blackguards and Broken Age. Sometime next year by the looks of it. Just creating you character in Blackguards takes an hour =D

Yme

Sentinel

January 23rd, 2014, 14:09
Hmm - still requires UPlay. Pass

CutLunch

Watcher

January 23rd, 2014, 14:20
I did exactly what Strategy Informer said i should not do.

I just know i will enjoy it. Both reviews linked by Couchpotato and both griefs and joys at steam forum talks to me. I really should like this… And it was only 260SEK…

mute

Sentinel

January 23rd, 2014, 14:29
Those two reviews make the game seem good to me.

NFLed

Sentinel

January 23rd, 2014, 14:30
Hmm, I paid $35 when it was first made available. Serves me right for my impatience, I should know better.

Scrav

Watchdog

January 23rd, 2014, 14:37
$35? The Deluxe Edition cost $30 during Early Access, same as it does now.

Infinitron

Watcher

January 23rd, 2014, 14:38
But… Blackguards were out yesterday, installed and I'm on it.
And they release M&M TODAY?!
Not a chance I'll play it now. Not a chance.
Just don't tell me another game I've preordered will be released tomorrow. Hell after searching for at least one new game last year, now in a few days half of dozen games got out. Are they crazy? I should be happy perhaps, but this went into another extreme.

And yes guys, uPlay is mandatory. But honestly, who cares? Better uPlay than Origin.

Originally Posted by Yme View Post
I'll play when I'm done with Blackguards and Broken Age. Sometime next year by the looks of it. Just creating you character in Blackguards takes an hour =D
I hearya. When I saw it's taking me too much of time, said leave me be and clicked on basic. Dunno how I lost patience, previously I adored micromanagement on character creation. Can't say I'm happy now, but I'll manage.
Won't be next year for M&M, next month sometimes.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

January 23rd, 2014, 14:40
Originally Posted by Infinitron View Post
$35? The Deluxe Edition cost $30 during Early Access, same as it does now.
My transaction statement is $35, I went and checked.

Scrav

Watchdog

January 23rd, 2014, 14:53
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
But… Blackguards were out yesterday, installed and I'm on it.
And they release M&M TODAY?!
Not a chance I'll play it now. Not a chance.
Just don't tell me another game I've preordered will be released tomorrow. Hell after searching for at least one new game last year, now in a few days half of dozen games got out. Are they crazy? I should be happy perhaps, but this went into another extreme.
And surprisingly it turns out Daedalic outmaneuvered Ubi by releasing Blackguards two days earlier.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

January 23rd, 2014, 15:02
Two days earlier plus a game without uPlay, just Steam or DRMfree on GOG.
Good job Io!

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

January 23rd, 2014, 15:03
I was an early adopter on both, so I guess my steam will update these to release versions when I get home. I'm playing Skyrim right now anyway, but MMX will likely pull me away.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

January 23rd, 2014, 15:25
I would be willing to look past the Uplay crap if the game reached the levels of Might & Magic VI-VII but as it looks from the reviews and the grid based movement and everything it entails,i'll give it a pass.At least for a year or so.
My personal opinion is that the Heroes franchise has not been receiving the right kind of care from Ubisoft ever since they took over.
None of the games exceeded mediocrity unfortunately -for various reasons- .

Japol

Watcher

January 23rd, 2014, 15:46
Cmon, don't watch reviews just yet, these ones for example are about alpha version (check dates):
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/might-magic-x-legacy

Maybe it's not a mediocre sequel?
Maybe it's worse.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

January 23rd, 2014, 16:49
Okay… I just read the two pro reviews above, as well as the Metacritic reviews, and it seems that the lower scores mostly stem from the fact that it is a turn-based, grid-based game. The Strategy Informer review mentions some performance issues, which is troublesome. But the rest are simply lamenting that it is not an Elder Scrolls clone.

I guess I'm confused as to why Grimrock got decent scores, but this game is getting knicked for being the same type of game. If anyone has played, are there other glaring issues that the reviewers are forgetting to mention?

To me, Might & Magic always standed out as the pinnacle of grid-based, turn-based first person RPGs. I loved the Xeen games and M&MII was one of my first RPGs.

dpc76

Watchdog

January 23rd, 2014, 17:18
Ok. Who volunteers to give this thing a spin and report

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Might & Magic X - Now Available