|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Might & Magic X - Review Roundup

Default Might & Magic X - Review Roundup

January 24th, 2014, 03:02
As promised here are the reviews for Might & Magic X: Legacy.

Eurogamer - 7/10

Might & Magic 10: Legacy feels like a pleasant throwback to dungeon crawls of decades past, but its limited scope and combat-heavy focus might put off those pining for the freedom afforded by the more recent Elder Scrolls games, or the wordy character interaction of a Dragon Age. Nonetheless, for those keen on poring over stats and comparing colour-coded loot, it serves as a modern introduction to those games' precursors, delivers a heady blast of nostalgia, and preserves a little slice of history
GameInformer - No Score

Might & Magic X: Legacy lives up to the quality of its long-lost predecessors. Despite streamlining and accessibility upgrades, it’s not a game for everyone. Turn-based grid walks are a rarity today and the title may feel a bit bizarre to those that never had a chance to experience 90’s era Might & Magic fare, but for those that have always wanted a legitimate heir to the classic series, Might & Magic X: Legacy provides.
IncGamers - 7/10

It’s the sort of game I can easily damn with faint praise, really, but the upshot is this: I really quite like Might & Magic X. It’s a throwback to the big old RPGs of yore – the games which weren’t afraid to smash your face in if you wandered into a high-level area ill-prepared, and required you to take notes of NPC locations and quest hints (which is something that is genuinely important here). But it’s a throwback which offers a bit more help, an intuitive interface, and some graphics that generally look rather lovely. If Might & Magic X sounds at all appealing, or if you went “Oh, I remember doing that twenty years ago” at any point in this review, then I imagine you’ll really quite like it too.
Venturebeat - 65/100

Might & Magic X: Legacy certainly did remind me of fun times I had in the past with earlier entries in the series. I even had fun for several hours. But once the nostalgia wore off, it served as a stark indication that many of these design choices should have been left in the past with its predecessors. What good is a fully 3D world when you can’t touch or interact with hardly anything? What sense does it make that you can’t run away from an encounter in which you’re clearly outmatched (or even move once you’re in melee rage, for that matter)?

These glaring issues, combined with a general lack of polish, make for an experience that just doesn’t live up to my fond memories of Might & Magic. In the case of video games, we have numerous good reasons that they aren’t made the same way as we did 20-plus years ago. Sometimes nostalgia just isn’t enough to conquer outdated or bad design.
More information.
Last edited by Couchpotato; January 24th, 2014 at 05:43.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

January 24th, 2014, 03:02
PC Gamer also has a review with a similar score: http://www.pcgamer.com/review/might-…legacy-review/

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

January 24th, 2014, 03:21
What good is a fully 3D world when you can’t touch or interact with hardly anything?

I'll bet anyone here $1000 he didn't offer up that same exact criticism when he reviewed the Mass Effect games. All of Bioware's games have completely inert environments, other than the few "hotspots" that have scripts attached to them. And they always have been that way.

CraigCWB

Sentinel

January 24th, 2014, 05:39
"What sense does it make that you can’t run away from an encounter in which you’re clearly outmatched (or even move once you’re in melee rage, for that matter)?"

This one baffled me. Even the old Bard's Tale gave you the option to flee. Perhaps it was to counter ranged combat exploits.

Santos

Ass-hat

January 24th, 2014, 09:57
Well, I guess you can ask this in the reddit Q&A today.
So far I am extremely satisfied with the release version. Sure it has it quirks in game design decisions but in the end it is fun and that is what counts.

Also I don't see a point to praise Grimrock for example (8/10 Eurogamer) and then give M&M a lower score. Grimrock had very cool riddles indeed. But it's inferior in any other aspect imho.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

January 24th, 2014, 10:14
Tried it for a bit and I'm not particularly impressed.

Liked the MM6-7 style a lot more, to be honest.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 24th, 2014, 15:38
Fortunately I loved both styles.
One of the best things from the later Games which stayed in my memory is the card game though

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

January 24th, 2014, 22:10
would love to try it if they drop uplay or any other kind of online authentication. Not until then though. Grimrock did it and it sold just fine.

TimtheTaxMan

SasqWatch

January 24th, 2014, 22:34
Yup Tim, you nailed it exactly. It is 100% unnecessary, annoying, and most likely stopping plenty from purchasing the game. Too bad!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

January 25th, 2014, 05:15
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Yup Tim, you nailed it exactly. It is 100% unnecessary, annoying, and most likely stopping plenty from purchasing the game. Too bad!
Including me, learnt my lesson from HeroesVI.
Going to try Blackguards instead.

Warmark

Sentinel

January 25th, 2014, 07:47
Looks like quite a few people are having issues with Uplay, people that play from Europe. Perhaps….just perhaps, the writing is on the wall for Ubisoft. Then again, you need to be able to read first to comprehend!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Might & Magic X - Review Roundup