|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Kingdom Come: Deliverance - News Roundup

Default Kingdom Come: Deliverance - News Roundup

January 25th, 2014, 04:41
Kingdom Come: Deliverance has a new update talking about the games history. Now I will only be posting a small bit of the article so make sure you read the rest of it.

Time to take destiny in our hands

We stand here before you and ask for your support, without which our game really can’t get done. Someone told us that Kickstarter is the last, desperate step and if it didn’t work out we're really screwed and nobody would give us the time of day. That’s obviously true. But, if it works out, it's probably the best, most appealing way to develop the game – directly for the fans themselves, without secrecy, lies and censorship, in collaboration with them and without taking orders from people who don’t even play games and don’t understand them. Had we failed, it would have been a pretty clear signal that you’re not interested in a game like this and we wouldn’t waste more years of further effort. But now it looks more like the publishers made a big mistake and interest in the kind of game we're doing is enormous, for which we are of course extremely grateful.

It's great that in this day and age it’s possible to get something new out there without having to deal with the select few with a monopoly on reason. Only two years ago, Warhorse would most probably not be around any longer in a situation like this, or we would have developed an action adventure and shoe-horned some dragons into it in mid-development. So thank you for your support! Thank you sincerely!
I also have two interviews if you feel like reading or watching more.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun

RPS: Why Kickstarter? Do you really think you’ll be able to make enough money to fund something this enormous?

Vávra: There was always a chance to self-publish the game. Our colleagues from Prague, Bohemia Interactive, do it successfully all the time. We were always thinking of that as a possibility. After long negotations, things always slowed down to a crawl with marketing and upper level executives at publishers. They were too afraid to take risks. People who played games liked it, but we couldn’t get things to go faster. So we decided to self-publish.

This isn’t a PR stunt or anything. It really is, if we don’t get the money, it’s game over.

But there is a trick. We have a very strong private investor, but he’s from outside the gaming industry [UPDATE: Turns out, it's Zdenek Bakala, one of the richest people in the entire Czech Republic]. He doesn’t understand games. It’s a little bit unusual, probably. But he would be willing to finance the whole game if he sees some commitment. So we agreed with him that if we go to Kickstarter and get just a fraction of the sum we need – which is about $500,000 – he will
PC Games Hardware has a video interview.

loading…

The developers at Warhorse Studios presented their project Kingdom Come: Deliverance to us. The RPG that is set in the Middle Ages is developed by some ex-Mafia developers and it relies on authentic worlds and gorgeous graphics, thanks to CryEngine 3 - it's slated for 2015 for PC and next-gen platforms. We have interviewed Daniel Vavra, the creative director of War Horse, and he shares some insights for the the game.
More information.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

January 25th, 2014, 04:41
Warhorse Studios released a new image on facebook for stretch goals.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

January 25th, 2014, 07:43
Not being a fan of music in games, (I usually turn them off asap) I'm personally a bit disappointed that 2/3 more than their asking price will go into music rather than gameplay features or content.

Still, I know lot of people want them and as long as the game gets made, it's good news all the way

SonOfCapiz

Sentinel

January 25th, 2014, 08:48
Originally Posted by SonOfCapiz View Post
Not being a fan of music in games, (I usually turn them off asap) I'm personally a bit disappointed that 2/3 more than their asking price will go into music rather than gameplay features or content.
I think it's good news that the money isn't going to go to more content. That means all the content will be in the game as is. Unlike a lot of kickstarters where they add things like npc's, more quests, more lands, ect.

DarNoor

Sentinel

January 25th, 2014, 09:15
I'm with you on that with the Music, SonOfCapiz. I leave it on, but at a VERY low volume, in games that have a leisurely pace like the Total War series. Any kind of action game or RPG and it just drives me nuts, though. Only exception for me is the radio stations in GTA and other driving games, and I think that's only because I'm used to having the radio on while driving anyway, and the stations are actually part of the game experience in those titles.

However, I don't think they're making the base game for 300k. The promo vid said much of it was already done when they went on Kickstarter, and I think they also expect to get additional funding from their original investor now that they've succeeded on KS.

CraigCWB

Sentinel

January 25th, 2014, 10:55
I LOVE symphonic epic soundtracks in RPGs!

Morrandir

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

January 25th, 2014, 13:58
me too, i love good music in RPGs

Fanest

Watcher

January 25th, 2014, 16:57
Expensive promises.

Cacheperl

Sentinel

January 26th, 2014, 18:24
At least music (which I also don't care about) carries on in all localizations, I do have more of a problem with voice acting, which has to be done again in every language.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Kingdom Come: Deliverance - News Roundup