|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Pillars of Eternity - Post-Funding Update #71

Default Pillars of Eternity - Post-Funding Update #71

January 29th, 2014, 12:32
Obsidian has posted a new post-funding update for Pillars of Eternity with more information on the games Rogues and Rangers.

The update is a wall of text so please read the link as I can't fit more than a part of it.

The Heavy Hitters: Rogues and Rangers

Welcome! First things first: if you have backed Pillars of Eternity but not yet completed your order on our website, please do so as soon as possible. Even if you have an all-digital order, we need information from you to make sure you get everything you are supposed to. If your backer tier includes an NPC, item, portrait, or other custom piece of content, an early response will make it easier for us to work with you on your designs and preferences. As always, we appreciate that our backers have made Pillars of Eternity possible and we want to ensure that you get your money's worth.

Heavy Hitters

In Pillars of Eternity, the designation of a character as a "rogue" signifies their vicious, brutal style of fighting, not a propensity for theft or deception. More than any other class, rogues exemplify the adage that the best defense is a good offense. If fighters are the disciplined, reliable, well-trained units that hold the line, rogues are the shock troops that attempt to break through that line to take out vulnerable units before they can effectively retaliate. When pinned down, rogues can suffer from their weak defenses, but ideally they carry their momentum from one target to the next in short order.

Rangers are expert sharpshooters with any ranged weapon. Though they traditionally rely on bows and crossbows, some use firearms or even magical implements. Regardless of their choice of armament, even novice rangers can strike swiftly and leave severe wounds that quickly wear down an enemy's stamina and movement. They are assisted in their efforts by their animal companions, incredibly tough and loyal creatures who share their lives (literally) with their masters. All rangers start with the following three abilities:
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

January 29th, 2014, 12:32
Guess my first char will be a ranger, love archers and pets

gandalf.nho

Huntress

January 29th, 2014, 13:16
What's the deal with the picture of that sawed off little bastard, hittin hard with his tiny shortbow? Pandering to the sawed off little bastard demographic much?

In Pillars of Eternity, the designation of a character as a "rogue" signifies their vicious, brutal style of fighting, not a propensity for theft or deception.

Then they should be called thugs, though I'm pretty sure thugs also have a propensity for theft or deception. Anyway, sounds like I'm going with thugs. Preferably orc thugs, or even troll thugs if they have em. Ogre thugs would be even better. If these races are missing, they should remove elves and whatever that sawed off little bastard is, to make space for them. It's not an RPG unless I can have an ogre thug, dual-wielding bloody tree trunks. Anybody know what point blank area effect spells ogre thugs get?

And PS: Since it's Planescape, they can be called "fiends", as long as they are really ogres.

CraigCWB

Sentinel

January 29th, 2014, 14:44
Hobbled status? I hope it get an animation to go with the name.

That list of negative effects (only affected by sneak attack even might not be all of it) is sort of crazy when I compare it to most of the recent RPG (ignoring MMOs) I played which was limited to something like: stunned, blind and slowed.

Ranger looks tempting after reading this, but I suspect much QQing over animal companion sharing health and stamina. I really like the class designs overall, it's D&D inspired but yet different at the same time

@CraigCWB the first image a photoshopped version of an early concept art of a dwarven ranger. Also, no playable Ogre or troll, maybe the Aumana are big enough for you?

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

January 29th, 2014, 15:15
A dwarf?

Aumaua: They are large, semiaquatic humanoids with a diverse array of skin patterns, elongated heads, and semi-webbed hands and feet…

Yeah, that sounds pretty much like an ogre to me. But they have to get rid of that messed up graphic and go with something like this:

http://lparchive.org/Temple-of-Eleme…6/10-C1408.jpg

CraigCWB

Sentinel

January 30th, 2014, 16:03
The picture is a photoshop of J. Sawyer's face on the body of the boreal dwarf Sagani.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

January 30th, 2014, 16:23
I just wanna say up front that ogre thugs don't look like Josh Sawyer. Nor Chris Avellone. Maybe a little bit like Brian Fargo.

CraigCWB

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Pillars of Eternity - Post-Funding Update #71