|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Paradox Interactive - Tale Worlds Split

Default Paradox Interactive - Tale Worlds Split

February 1st, 2014, 16:19
Paradox Interactive has news on thier forum that Tale Worlds the developer of the Mount & Blade games are parting ways.

Mount and Blade Leaving the Paradox Stables

As of January 31st at 00:00 (UTC -08:00) Paradox Interactive will be handing over the reins for Mount and Blade back to the developer, TaleWorlds. Itís been five and a half years since Mount and Blade was released, five and a half years of sieges, tournaments and pitched open-field battles, and of course, the odd expansion or two!

We feel honoured to have fought beside you and at our final parting of ways would bid our farewells with a gift which has automatically been added to your Steam library.

What is your gift? One of our internal studios, Paradox North, is currently hard at work on a spell-casting action PVP game by the name of Magicka: Wizard Wars. As we know that you are all fans of fast-paced tactical combat we feel that you would be equally as adept with a robe and staff as you are with sword and shield, as such our gift to you is an invitation to our Early Access alpha of Magicka: Wizard Wars.

If you would like to know more about the game please do check www.wizardwars.com or our official forum at http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/…ka-Wizard-Wars.

Again, thank you for an exciting five and a half years!
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

February 1st, 2014, 16:19
It's finally time to make a "Trash" category in my Steam library. Interesting, the free game showed up but the store page still says Paradox is the publisher for Warband.

So what's the real reason for the break-up? Has Paradox got enough to handle right now? Has Tale Worlds got enough publicity that they don't feel they need any more help from Paradox? Is Tale Worlds d000000med?

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

February 1st, 2014, 16:30
Does this mean new Mount and blade will be developed without paradox interference?
I hope so, while I do love EU games and like some other Paradox published games I really hate their DLC spam policy.

Edit:NVM it says clearly about M&B I am just blind.

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

February 1st, 2014, 21:16
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
So what's the real reason for the break-up?
It's been on the cards for ages. Suggestion was that Taleworlds did not appreciate either the shovelware expansions Paradox published and Paradox creating their own version of M&B (in War of the Roses). Not sure how they'd feel about being used for promoting Paradox's new shovelware/ dlc front end either as a parting gift.

M&B was, of course, not published by Paradox in the traditional way in any case. The situation was almost certainly more JoWood/ Gothic ie Paradox licensed the IP for a set time. Paradox has shown that they are not pleasant if they can avoid it- Graviteam had to give up 'Achtung Panzer' because Paradox owned it (apparently the name was invented by Fred Wester, not Heinz Guderian) despite Paradox doing nothing with it and with their current strategy it's hard to see them ever using it.

There's a response on Taleworlds' facebook page too.

Zygo

Watchdog

February 2nd, 2014, 02:09
There goes my dream of having a game using the awesome M&B combat/siege engine with Paradox's Clautzwitz (sp?) strategic engine, which IMHO is Mount&Blade's weakest part… the strategic part is bad, really bad.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

February 3rd, 2014, 12:02
Originally Posted by Nameless one View Post
Does this mean new Mount and blade will be developed without paradox interference?
That already was the case. PI already stated in the past they were not involved in Bannerlord, and were not publishing it.

Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Paradox Interactive - Tale Worlds Split