|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » South Park - Will Not Use Uplay

Default South Park - Will Not Use Uplay

February 5th, 2014, 08:12
IncGamers has the news that South Park: The Stick of Truth will not be using Uplay.

Some people are not huge fans of Uplay, especially those who saw their Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag save disappear into a void for no reason. Those people should be pleased to learn that the Ubisoft-published South Park: The Stick of Truth will not be making use of the platform.

That information comes from developers Obsidian, who first state that “Uplay is not featured in Stick of Truth.”

That all indicates that South Park: The Stick of Truth will be a Steamworks game only. It’s due for release in early March, unless the curse of Ubisoft PC delays strikes before that time.
More information.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 10,354

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 08:12
Nice, I always hate having to run Uplay and Steam together (though don't mind Uplay on its own).
greywolf00 is offline

greywolf00

greywolf00's Avatar
Sentinel

#2

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Colorado, US
Posts: 551

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 09:33
Good news!
CutLunch is offline

CutLunch

Watcher

#3

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 55

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 11:23
I certainly didn't see that one coming. It's a good thing tho, as I really don't like running several game clients on top of each other. I think the worst case I've seen was GTA4 which had Microsoft Live, Steam and.. some sort of social hub? I don't remember exactly, but I actually think it required three seperate logins.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch

#4

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 5,582
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 11:32
Great news!
Serestrum is offline

Serestrum

Serestrum's Avatar
Watcher

#5

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Adelpha
Posts: 41

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 12:00
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
I think the worst case I've seen was GTA4 which had Microsoft Live, Steam and.. some sort of social hub?
Yeah, Rockstar Games Social Club. Max Payne 3 had the same crap, although I don't think it used GFWL.

When they were first released, Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City used Steam, GFWL, and SecuROM. Fable III was the same way.

GFWL and SecuROM have since been patched out of the Batman games. Not sure about Fable III.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#6

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,056

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 13:44
I believe noone will complain on this news.
In fact, this could boost preorders.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#7

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,206

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 17:32
Excellent news.
Voqar is offline

Voqar

PC Gaming Snob

#8

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 201

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 20:23
I don't think Uplay has ever "featured" in any game ever. Some variant of "infected" or "inflicted upon" would seem more appropriate.
khaight is offline

khaight

Watchdog

#9

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 192

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 20:45
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
I certainly didn't see that one coming. It's a good thing tho, as I really don't like running several game clients on top of each other. I think the worst case I've seen was GTA4 which had Microsoft Live, Steam and.. some sort of social hub? I don't remember exactly, but I actually think it required three seperate logins.
Steam version of La Noire had also intresting copy protection measures… No wonder the game ran like crap.

So to prevent illegal copies rockstar went extra mile to annoy legitimate customer:

1. Naturally steam itself is a copy protection method. I can live with it nowdays just fine. However rockstar felt steam wasn't enough so they implemented:
2. An other layer of copy protection software which caused severe performance issues
3. On top of all, player was also forced to use social club.

I hate this kind shit.
Dez is offline

Dez

Dez's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#10

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,175

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 21:23
Originally Posted by khaight View Post
I don't think Uplay has ever "featured" in any game ever. Some variant of "infected" or "inflicted upon" would seem more appropriate.
Same goes for STEAM, but noone ever complains about that.

As Uplay STEAM offers no real advantage (no, saving into cloud ain't one) and digs itself very deep into my system.

So why doesn't Ubisoft ditch STEAMworks, too? I can't see any reason not to.

blackcanopus:
Steam is out of question. It's not convenient, it's not easy to use, it's not simple and fast. It's terrible.
"Where STEAM fails, the PHOENIX rises"
Sir_Brennus is offline

Sir_Brennus

Sir_Brennus's Avatar
Planeswalker

#11

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 366

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 21:40
Funny how people talk about games having multiple DRM schemes when they only have those multiple schemes if you buy through steam, too. Both Batman AA and AC only used steam if you bought through steam, Max Payne 3 only used multiple forms if you bought via steam. Batman AA didn't even use GFWL as DRM as it would work fine with an offline account, it only used secruom for activation. And for M&MX if you wanted to avoid multiple DRMs and multiple clients you had a very easy option- don't buy from steam, buy from anywhere else.

Strangely enough obligatory clients and DRM only become problems when the person doesn't like the client or DRM, when they do like it 'forcing' others to use it is fine, for some odd reason.
Zygo is offline

Zygo

Watchdog

#12

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 188

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 21:50
Originally Posted by Sir_Brennus View Post
Same goes for STEAM, but noone ever complains about that.

As Uplay STEAM offers no real advantage (no, saving into cloud ain't one) and digs itself very deep into my system.

So why doesn't Ubisoft ditch STEAMworks, too? I can't see any reason not to.
No advantages? I've dumped all my discs and repurchased my games on steam because of its convenience.

It puts everything in one place. Multiplayer,friends,guides,game forums,etc.

With steam I can do a clean windows install in about 20 min with all 150+ of my games reassociated with my OS. This would take days before steam reinstalling all my games. I re-install every 6 months so this is huge for me.

Automatic updates, ( no more searching for latest patches) downloading includes dlc,s without the need to install seperatly,cloud saving is usefull IMO, especially when reinstalling.

Mod hosting although I use the nexus mostly.

Sharing games my sons can log in to my account and have full access to all my games on their pc,s as long as I'm not playing. After years of them scratching my game discs this is very welcome.

Digs deep in your system? You mean like pretty much all software, if this is a worry don't use steam or just get a good 3rd party uninstalled that will track and remove all traces of it.

I'm sure there are other things,this is just off the top of my head. I can understand if you don't want to run steam but no advantages? That's silly, especially if your talking about managing 100's of games.

Anyway, I think this is a smart move givin their target audience for the game. I'm curious to know why this game though and not others. Seems like if you don't stay consistent from game to game you will just open yourself up to criticism.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#13

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,271

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 22:16
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
No advantages? I've dumped all my discs and repurchased my games on steam because of its convenience.

It puts everything in one place. Multiplayer,friends,guides,game forums,etc.

With steam I can do a clean windows install in about 20 min with all 150+ of my games reassociated with my OS. This would take days before steam reinstalling all my games. I re-install every 6 months so this is huge for me.

Automatic updates, ( no more searching for latest patches) downloading includes dlc,s without the need to install seperatly,cloud saving is usefull IMO, especially when reinstalling.

Mod hosting although I use the nexus mostly.

Sharing games my sons can log in to my account and have full access to all my games on their pc,s as long as I'm not playing. After years of them scratching my game discs this is very welcome.

Digs deep in your system? You mean like pretty much all software, if this is a worry don't use steam or just get a good 3rd party uninstalled that will track and remove all traces of it.

I'm sure there are other things,this is just off the top of my head. I can understand if you don't want to run steam but no advantages? That's silly, especially if your talking about managing 100's of games.

Anyway, I think this is a smart move givin their target audience for the game. I'm curious to know why this game though and not others. Seems like if you don't stay consistent from game to game you will just open yourself up to criticism.
I don't need anything of the above mentioned (Multiplayer,friends,guides,game forums,etc.). I keep my system clean, so I don't reinstall that often. I ALWAYS deactivate ANY automatic updates in any software. I don't want my PC to do things that I didn't initate. My kids are too young to play, but IF there's need I know about 20+ ways to get them to play my games of my discs (or images, for that matter), even if I play at the same time.

BTW: I my basement are about 600+ games on disc (all original, 400 of them CRPGs). I exactly know where they are if I want to play.

Maybe I am a typical European, but using a cloud service that behaves like a rootkit, gives me the creeps regarding privacy. I need no one watching.

blackcanopus:
Steam is out of question. It's not convenient, it's not easy to use, it's not simple and fast. It's terrible.
"Where STEAM fails, the PHOENIX rises"
Sir_Brennus is offline

Sir_Brennus

Sir_Brennus's Avatar
Planeswalker

#14

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 366

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 22:38
I honestly didn't give a damn about this game, but I think I'll buy 10 or so copies just to give to friends and support their stance against Ugay. Heck, I might even play the thing at some point.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#15

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, CA
Posts: 1,799

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 22:54
Originally Posted by Sir_Brennus View Post
I don't need anything of the above mentioned (Multiplayer,friends,guides,game forums,etc.). I keep my system clean, so I don't reinstall that often. I ALWAYS deactivate ANY automatic updates in any software. I don't want my PC to do things that I didn't initate. My kids are too young to play, but IF there's need I know about 20+ ways to get them to play my games of my discs (or images, for that matter), even if I play at the same time.

BTW: I my basement are about 600+ games on disc (all original, 400 of them CRPGs). I exactly know where they are if I want to play.

Maybe I am a typical European, but using a cloud service that behaves like a rootkit, gives me the creeps regarding privacy. I need no one watching.
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying anyone needs to have steam, I understand there are other ways to get most of the benefits that steam offers.

I just can't agree that there's no advantages to having steam even if not everyone wants to use them.

Yes I have several shelves of games on disc in my basement as well and I miss the days of going to the store buying a game, spending 2 days reading the nice thick manual and then playing but those days are long gone.

Last game I bought on disc came with the disc, 1 sheet of paper with a steam code and directions to the online manual. I'd still buy the disc versions if they came with a nice manual but then I'd install them on steam and store the discs away.

I don't disagree with your reasons to dislike steam, I just think it definitely has some advantages if you want to take, well advantage of them.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#16

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,271

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 22:56
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I honestly didn't give a damn about this game, but I think I'll buy 10 or so copies just to give to friends and support their stance against Ugay. Heck, I might even play the thing at some point.
So your going to stick it to Uplay by buying 10 copies of the game from Ubisoft?

That's weird.

And I'm sorry, but Ugay, surely your better than that.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#17

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,271

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 23:07
Hadn't big issues with uplay with might and magic X, but I would have prefered to have it on steam instead. I also bought blackguards, it's a shame that I can't activate the boxed version on steam also.

I completely agree with sakichop. Personally I didn't like steam until I actually started using it about 5 years ago or so and now I can't think of how to do without. It's not just a great platform for players as it has tons of cheap offers, it's a central place for all your games and it has a community platform, including achievements, mods, forums, profile page, cloudsaving, a chat (and I know a couple of people who rather use steam instead of other IM systems) and I can even write little reviews and recommendations there.
There is actually hardly anything I could wish steam would do besides two things:
1. Implement a better browser for the shop and 2. further minimize downtime (achievements aren't counting then and MP matches might have problems).

To me it's great news. I won't necessarily play Southpark, but it might be a sign that Ubisoft goes steam in the future which would be great.

BTW: I am also a european and don't even have so much space in my flat that I could store hundreds of boxes from games
Kordanor is offline

Kordanor

Kordanor's Avatar
Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

#18

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 944

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 23:43
I don't miss discs at all. I have gone completely digital with games, music and movies, not to mention my paperwork and video for my job. It's a blessing that has greatly simplified my life.

I do miss real manuals for games, though. I think this is one of the factors that has led to the dumbing down of modern games. The entire game has to be taught in a brief tutorial now, because no one has the patience to even sit through a long tutorial, let alone actually *shudder* reading a manual.
Capt. Huggy Face is offline

Capt. Huggy Face

Capt. Huggy Face's Avatar
Magicky Utok

#19

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,037

Default 

February 5th, 2014, 23:49
To be fair, nowadays we also have tooltips
Something which had to be completely covered by the manual 20 years ago.
Kordanor is offline

Kordanor

Kordanor's Avatar
Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

#20

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 944
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » South Park - Will Not Use Uplay
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:43.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch