|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 2: EE - Q&A @ Kotaku

Default Baldur's Gate 2: EE - Q&A @ Kotaku

February 7th, 2014, 07:02
Kotaku has a new Q&A with Trent Oster about Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition.

Schreier: How are sales so far, for both games? Out of curiosity, do they sell better on PC or iOS?

Oster: Sales are great; we recently made it into the top 10 on iPad with a $14.99 game. There was only on other title over $0.99 in that group and it was Minecraft. We're ecstatic about the success and jazzed at the number of people who are coming out to play one of the greatest western RPGs of all time. As the PC version has been out longer and Baldur's Gate comes from a PC base, we've seen more success so far on that platform, but the Apple sales are building quickly, so it could be a tight race. From our side, we are in this for the long haul; we're working with a great franchise and a strong fan community, so we're looking at this from a long-term viewpoint and we're confident sales will still be strong years down the road.

Schreier: Last we spoke, you expressed interest in working on a Baldur's Gate 3 if everything worked out with 1 and 2. Is that still possible? What sort of legal hurdles would be involved there?

Oster: We're definitely interested in working on Baldur's Gate 3. We've put a ton of work into the franchise and I think the reviews of our new content speak to how well we understand the games. Most reviews say how seamlessly our content fits into the original games. From a legal-hurdles standpoint, we need to get all the right people together in one spot and hammer out an agreement we can all succeed in. We're very happy with our working relationship with Wizards of the Coast and we want to keep that relationship going for a long time into the future.
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

February 7th, 2014, 07:02
I'm glad they're interested in Baldur's Gate 3. However, making a completely new game will be quite a big step from the work they've done on the enhanced editions. For one thing, they'll need to develop a whole new engine , which is going to cost some serious money. Maybe they could do a Kickstarter, which I'm sure could be pretty successful, but they'd have to get all the right people to agree to that which may prove tricky.

And the prospect of BG3 raises all sorts of questions… What D&D edition would the game use? Then there's the story. The Bhaalspawn saga seems pretty well wrapped up in BG1 &2, so what would the plot of BG3 even be about? I suppose they could do a story that takes place around the city and just alludes to the events of the first two games. But then I think the game runs the risk of feeling like a mere side story rather than a sequel. It'd be tough to live up to the high expectations fans of the first two games would have.

daveyd

Sentinel

February 7th, 2014, 09:53
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
For one thing, they'll need to develop a whole new engine , which is going to cost some serious money.
Have they mentioned somewhere that they would develop a new engine and not just use Infinity?

Morrandir

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

February 7th, 2014, 10:48
They could use Unity or the engine that Obsidian is using for Pillars of Eternity so they don't need to make an engine and probably would be easier then using the Infinity Engine.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

February 7th, 2014, 11:10
I am not sure how I feel about BG3. The story is wrapped up, leave it at that. Now a whole other story, in the same setting, that is something else.

Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
But then I think the game runs the risk of feeling like a mere side story rather than a sequel. It'd be tough to live up to the high expectations fans of the first two games would have.
Indeed.

Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian

February 7th, 2014, 11:18
Well you could play as a descendent of the previous Bhaalspawn. I remember the official sequel had nothing to do with them. Here is the description of the cancelled game.

Spoiler – Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound

As guenthar said above it they do make the game Unity would be a good choice. Maybe they can obtain a license to use Obsidian's tech.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

February 7th, 2014, 11:23
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Well you could play as a descendent of the previous Bhaalspawn. I remember the official sequel had nothing to do with them. Here is the description of the cancelled game.
That's interesting. I was not aware of any such cancelled game.

Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian

February 7th, 2014, 11:29
Originally Posted by wiretripped View Post
That's interesting. I was not aware of any such cancelled game.
I almost forgot about it myself. J.E. Sawyer was going to make it as a module for NWN 2 bit unfortunately he cancelled the project.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

February 7th, 2014, 12:13
The plot seems a little convoluted though. The player is the essence of someone's guilt?

Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian

February 7th, 2014, 12:27
Originally Posted by wiretripped View Post
The plot seems a little convoluted though. The player is the essence of someone's guilt?
J.E. Sawyer had an interview on Gamebanshee back in 2007. If you dig deeper it had nothing to do with the first two games. Just the Name.

Spoiler – J.E. Sawyer

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

February 7th, 2014, 12:36
Originally Posted by guenthar View Post
They could use Unity or the engine that Obsidian is using for Pillars of Eternity so they don't need to make an engine and probably would be easier then using the Infinity Engine.
The problem is the DnD ruleset.
Of course if they wanted to use 3rd or 4th ed, they could use a modern engine as it would be as difficult to implement it in Infinity.

Morrandir

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

February 7th, 2014, 15:52
For one thing, they'll need to develop a whole new engine , which is going to cost some serious money.
If they just used an engine as nice as Dragon Age, I would be in heaven

redman5427

Keeper of the Watch

February 7th, 2014, 15:59
I have no doubt that a potential BG3 will be IE based. I believe that their ultimate goal with the Enhanced Editions was to shown that there still is an interest in these kinds of RPGs and at the same time modernize the infrastructure of IE. (KS has verified the former countless of times by now) To me it makes no sense if they were to use another engine at this point. Overhaul is not a huge studio so I can't see them being able to scratch all the work they have done with IE. The only major issue as I see it is that they probably have to upgrade the rule set. I would imagine that WotC would never allow a new D&D game to be released today based on AD&D 2nd editon.

stealth

Sentinel

February 7th, 2014, 16:13
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
The problem is the DnD ruleset.
Of course if they wanted to use 3rd or 4th ed, they could use a modern engine as it would be as difficult to implement it in Infinity.
Yeah, I wonder what edition they would want to use. I'm sure there's some fans that would actually want them to stick with the 2.5 ruleset. I personally really like the 3rd edition (at least as it was implemented in NWN 1&2). But I have a feeling WotC might require them to use 4th edition anyway.

Regarding the story / characters, I was thinking that if they did closely tie it BG2 and bring back some of the characters, then they would have to come up with a canon version of BG2 similar to how there was a canon party for BG1 (Jaheira, Khalid, Imoen, Minsc, Dynaheir). That was rather limiting and problematic if they died in BG1. In that sense it would actually be better to have an entirely new cast of characters.

daveyd

Sentinel

February 7th, 2014, 16:50
It might be better not to use BG3 as that implies a direct sequel. Instead, they could use the T:ToN naming model and provide some linkages. Baldur's Gate: The Next Generation… or some such. If they want to do a direct tie-in, then they could make it about the champions of the new deity and give it a strategic aspect.

Licensing the PoE or T:ToN technology on top of Unity seems like a good option, if the price is right. Implementing the 3rd or 4th edition D&D rules set would be more costly in terms of development.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

February 7th, 2014, 18:08
Call me a cynic but, I've seen nothing from them that gives me the impression they can do their own game on the scale and level of quality as the BG series. Fixing code and adding a couple NPCs is nothing like making an actual game.

Much rather see them do their own game, unrelated to BG so they don't need to worry about the insane expectations a BG 3 would get from fans.

greywolf00

Sentinel

February 7th, 2014, 19:04
Well it's not like they (Wizards of the Coast) are asking for much to continue with Baldur's Gate 3 development.
Just 3 years of remastering BG1 and BG2 and 30-40$ from the fans to purchase the enhanced editions and then they MIGHT consider it.
Give us a break WOTC,will ya?
Thank god ,the RPG- Tactical RPG genre seems to be picking back up nowadays.

Japol

Watcher

February 7th, 2014, 20:17
Originally Posted by greywolf00 View Post
Call me a cynic but, I've seen nothing from them that gives me the impression they can do their own game on the scale and level of quality as the BG series. Fixing code and adding a couple NPCs is nothing like making an actual game.
Yes, that's more like maintenance work than original project development. All it takes is a certain level of technical proficiency. I'd love to see a BG3 but not if it's going to be an insult to the franchise.

CraigCWB

Sentinel

February 7th, 2014, 20:54
So I take it they're rulling out work on the rest of the IE games? I'm playing IWD1 straight after the EEs and must admit that it feels fairly primitive in comparison.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

February 8th, 2014, 01:24
Well the 5th edition of D&D is due later this year so they could easily use that, it's meant to be much closer to 2nd ed.

Daniel.

darklord

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 2: EE - Q&A @ Kotaku