|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Building a New Gaming System

Default Building a New Gaming System

February 11th, 2014, 06:02
There's nice 24" 120Hz monitors available these days. That's what I'd get if I were buying a monitor.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

February 11th, 2014, 13:42
Thanks for all the advice has really helped.

"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable

February 11th, 2014, 14:05
Went to a store yesterday and the salesman tried to talk me out of 16 GB of ram. Said no games out there use more then 8. You guys agree with this? It's funny seems like computer salesman are the only ones to try and talk you down in price while everything else you buy salesman try to get you to spend more cash

Hastar

Unspeakable

February 11th, 2014, 14:31
The salesman was right 8 is plenty for gaming today but for the extra 70 bucks (according to newegg) I see no reason not to get the 16.

It really depends on what you want technically an i5, 8gb ram, regular HD and a 770 would be plenty to run all of today's games at 1080p but you'd be wanting to upgrade in 12-18 months.

It could be argued that your better off spending 1200 now on a rig that will run everything and then in 12-18 months spend another 1200 and then do it again in another 12-18 months rather than spend 3000 now and keep that for 4-5 years.

It depends on how you want to game, if you want to learn to upgrade components on your own or if you'll always buy pre-built and if you want something that will just run stuff today or something with some headroom.

sakichop

SasqWatch

February 11th, 2014, 16:10
When I shop for RAM, quantity is no less important than its speed as well as compatibility with the respective motherboard. Be sure to match up your RAM with the QVL; it's partly marketing but does indeed come into play with increasing numbers of DIMMs.

As to 8 vs 16gb, The OS will generally reserve half your RAM, but, even so, gaming doesn't require much in comparison. What's more often overlooked is a video card's VRAM, but 3gb will do you just fine for the time being; in fact, by the time anything out there truly challenges that, you'd want to upgrade the video card regardless.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

February 11th, 2014, 16:46
The Ram on the system that I am thinking about getting is super talent ddr3-1333 4gb. The motherboard seems to be a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H. Are those compatible?

Hastar

Unspeakable

February 11th, 2014, 20:23
This site makes building a computer super easy. Don't get me wrong, you can build a better computer if you do the research but this site makes it insanely easy as all parts within a tier are compatible. Also gives a decent description of parts and what's worth buying.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

I think it also has links to benchmarks and tutorials for overclocking as well as how to assemble your own (which is a million times better than paying someone else to do it and isn't hard). Honestly, if you've ever opened your computer case to get rid of the dust, I'm willing to bet you can easily reverse engineer the setup, it's Legos for adults.

greywolf00

Sentinel

February 24th, 2014, 00:02
Damit. This thread makes me want to buy parts and build a pc. I need to save money please stop it (though secretly I don't want anyone to stop it).

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Building a New Gaming System