|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Darkest Dungeon - Kickstarter Now Live

Default Darkest Dungeon - Kickstarter Now Live

February 10th, 2014, 19:25
Red Hook Studios has launched their kickstarter for Darkest Dungeon.

Uncompromising, unforgiving, and unconventional, we present a fresh take on the dungeon crawler that elevates the importance of sound tactics and a character's mental state over their gear.

You will recruit, train, and lead a team of flawed heroes through twisted forests, forgotten warrens, ruined crypts and beyond. You'll battle not only unimaginable foes, but stress, famine, disease, and the ever-encroaching dark. Uncover strange mysteries, and pit the heroes against an array of fearsome monsters with an innovative strategic turn-based combat system.

You will have to tend to charactersí spirits as much as you do to their Hit Points. But in these grim situations, you'll find opportunities for true heroism!

Darkest Dungeon is not a game where every hero wins the day with shiny armor and a smile. It is a game about hard trade-offs, nearly certain demise, and heroic reversals.

Do you have what it takes to survive in the forgotten corners of the Darkest Dungeon?
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

February 10th, 2014, 19:25
I have to say I am pretty partial to that art direction… and Cthulhu… and TB combat… So I threw a minimum pledge their way

No time to read( or more than skim over) the rest of the info now but a peek showed some interesting concepts/features too… (may consider giving a bit more later if this looks like a really cool project)

JonNik

SasqWatch

February 10th, 2014, 19:31
I don't like roguelikes much, but this game intrigued me with its unique graphical style and horror theme.

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch

February 10th, 2014, 19:32
Yeah the art style is great. The game looks interesting. I wish they'd used the kickstarter video to explain the project though. The trailer is nice and all, but I'd like to hear the devs selling the project.

Pongo

Watchdog
RPGWatch Donor

February 10th, 2014, 19:52
Roguelike? I'm skipping it…

Wait just a minute. Isn't Kickstarter a platform to give a push to non-cloned stuff big players don't want to hear about?
That art style, even if the game sucks in the end, means only one thing.
Instapledge from me.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

February 10th, 2014, 20:04
Meh, another rougelike, but the art style and camping is nice, plus they have a narrator and a great skill to create atmosphere.

Plus the attacks are surprisingly energetic.

mercy

Sentinel

February 10th, 2014, 20:28
At first glance (I haven't read it in detail yet) it does look interesting to me and I especially like the art style and theme.

But they state that at this point it is still a Steam exclusive so I won't pledge anything unless a DRM-free version is confirmed.

Asdraguuhl

Sentinel

February 10th, 2014, 20:38
Yes, the art style is unique, and interesting, but it's the unconventional psychological elements that are a huge draw for me. I really hope this makes goals through 200K, at least!

Santos

Ass-hat

February 10th, 2014, 20:46
Yup, good looking. And not overambitious for a small developer.

Cacheperl

Sentinel

February 10th, 2014, 20:59
Sounds much like FTL in a grim fantasy setting. Backed!

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

February 10th, 2014, 21:14
Backed, as promised when Couch linked that first video a short while back

Yme

Sentinel

February 10th, 2014, 21:19
Actually now that I've read the info it seems quite a bit more involved than the rather simplistic (and rather sparse on variety but still quite fun, for a while) FTL.

I love the party management/camping/affliction features and the developing town concept. Very cool additions to the roguelike genre (and I do like roguelikes quite a bit although very few have stuck by me for any significant time other than Dwarf Fortress).

Definitely pushing some more money their way…

JonNik

SasqWatch

February 10th, 2014, 21:52
I had exactly the same experience as Joxer. Rouguelike? Not my cup of tea…but not backing this would feel like I'm not living up to my own expectations. I just have to support projects like these when they're presented so well, even if in the end the game isn't what I prefer to play. And I might be surprised, I really enjoyed FTL so why not. Pledged.

tomasp3n

Watchamacallit?

February 10th, 2014, 21:57
I like the more visual, horizontal party arrangement and members' morals changes. The art style is just amazing and well done.

The developers also worked on cardboard rpgs so its seems they know a thing or two about rpgs.

Pledged, and looking forward to their updates.

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

February 10th, 2014, 23:11
Man they are already past the half point. The art style is awsome and did someone say Cthulhu? Well they don't call me Hastar for nothing though in Cthulhu mythology it is spelled Hastur.

If Pantheon does not make it I am going to take all that money and place it in this. Will pledge anyway but they may get a bigger chunk

"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable

February 11th, 2014, 00:21
They also just put out an exclusive trailer at Game Trailers and did an interview with UGDB.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/d…lusive-trailer

http://www.ultimategamedb.com/Articl…0-186f7fa19f8e

Legend of Old

Traveler

February 11th, 2014, 00:51
I backed, but didn't know it was a rogue-like, so unbacked. Pity, I loved the art style and the concept.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

February 11th, 2014, 00:53
@Wolfing
Did you play FTL?

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

February 11th, 2014, 02:03
This is most certainly not a roguelike. It contains elements sure, but just watching their pitch video makes it pretty clear that this is not a roguelike.

CrazyIrish

Keeper of the Watch

February 11th, 2014, 02:08
Well, depends on how you define roguelike.

From what it sounds like it works much like this:
You have a town and multiple "potential candidates". Then you put together troops out of that and send them into a dungeon. If they come back you might have gained something. If they die…well, they are gone.

Classic CRPG and roguelike features, including meaningful permadeath, procedural dungeons, and incredible replay
Town meta-game – tend to your heroes wounds, both corporeal and cerebral

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Darkest Dungeon - Kickstarter Now Live