|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Might & Magic X - Post-launch Patch Details

Default Might & Magic X - Post-launch Patch Details

February 16th, 2014, 08:35
Limbic Entertainment has a post about the upcoming patch for Might & Magic X.

Details about: Post-launch Patch 1

Don’t give way to despair! The patch is on its way and will arrive on the 2nd half of February (exact date to be confirmed as soon as possible!). Among other things, it will include:

- Three new dungeons (including the Community Dungeon you created: we have 2 special guests on our Credits now!). We will give you more information about them within the next days but to give you a small insight: two of them will be available for everybody & the last one is exclusively for deluxe buyers!

- Improved performance & clearer texture quality setting (you can expect some improvement on open world but we will continue to work on this point along next patches too)

- Reduction of save corruption risks (we are still working on it, however we recommend you to delete existing ones and disable Uplay Saves Sync if you experienced this issue)
- 16/10 resolution is now officially supported by the game
- Fixed modding kit for the final version of the game
- Spirit Beacon bug is now fixed; invisible enemy won’t haunt you anymore! (You can no longer use it in dungeon or with close enemies)
- Numerous additional bug fixes & balancing (many of them reported by the community)

Please check the list at the end of this article for detailed information about the patch. Also, we're still working on a Mac version of the game. It still needs to be tested and optimized and we hope we can deliver it within the first half of 2014.
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

February 16th, 2014, 08:35
Performance improvement & heat issues: Of course we will continue improving the game performance and still have some challenges ahead in this point. However, with this new patch, you should be able to better tweak the game and have a real positive impact on your game performance. For instance, we strongly recommend you to reduce the shadow distance & shadow qualities that are the main too “greedy” options. Don’t forget to reducing the globalgame quality, we know the game can be “heavy”.

…this is a fix? New settings to get around shoddy programming? heh… sigh. Oh well, I'll enjoy the new dungeons.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

February 16th, 2014, 09:00
Are the performance issues only related to the shadows?

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

February 16th, 2014, 12:24
3 new dungeons? Sounds like the game wasn't actually finished on release, I probably will buy this later in the year, hopefully it'll be as good as it's gonna get by then.

Meanwhile back to Wizardry 7!

Daniel.

darklord

SasqWatch

February 16th, 2014, 12:46
3 new dungeons? Glad I haven't had time to play this yet.

Yme

Sentinel

February 16th, 2014, 13:52
The game was finished although there was a promised "will be released later" dungeon for all of us who bought "enhanced" version.
Then they said besides that one, there will be also a bonus dungeon for everyone.

For the third dungeon created by community I've never heard before. I'm not complaining of course! Instead of Skyrim and Sims gamekiller (bugged) mods, devs here decided to use something from the community. Finally someone added a mod as an official addition to a game. While I still dislike uPlay, I wish SkyUI was blessed as an official DLC.

However, that savegames corrupted bug should have been fixed ages ago. I'm keeping uplay savegame sync disabled since problems with HoMM6 and am not planning to use that option in a near future. Got lucky I suppose as I finished the game without getting this bug. But if it happened to me, instead of 8/10 I'd give 1/10 to the game - not because I hate bugs but because they didn't make a day1, day2 or day3 hotfix on it but are adding it into "let's wait a couple of months" patch.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

February 16th, 2014, 14:39
The game was complete even without these new dungens. Actually I think these dungeons are "over the top" now as they don't fit into the balancing anymore. My troop is much too strong now - can't imagine they get some real challenge running. And all the relevant skills are already maxed, so…

I encountered a couple of bugs in the game. Eg. the 2 different ending slides of a particular quest which is fixed by the patch and the sound loop which is also fixed. Also found it annoying to get the quest items multiple times - which is also fixed by the patch.

So nothing really to complain from my side. Instead: Thanks for releasing such detailed patchnotes even before the patch goes live!
Last edited by Kordanor; February 16th, 2014 at 14:50.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

February 16th, 2014, 15:43
Originally Posted by ikbenrichard View Post
Are the performance issues only related to the shadows?
From what I gather, yes. Novice programmers went hog-wild with lighting sources since they thought they could with mostly static screens. Wrong.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

February 16th, 2014, 15:48
From the screens and some of the comments I've read, I don't see why the game should be such a resource hog. Really does look like poor optimization. What's the corrupted saves bug? Does it come up regularly/randomly or are there conditions to trigger it?

SonOfCapiz

Sentinel

February 16th, 2014, 22:11
I loved the old M&M games, and I'm looking forward to playing this one…
Wake me up when it's done.

Vindicator

Watchdog

February 17th, 2014, 03:55
I think it is a small team and you get a lot of decent content for a low price. I suspect all updates will be slow due to team size not effort. Also I think the perf issue is related to unity. Look at wasteland2. I think it is taking folks a while to figure out how to make certain things work well with unity and there will be push back for improvements in the engine … but this is just a wild guess

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor

February 17th, 2014, 18:51
Okay, to anyone who has finished this: I'm in the Tomb of 1000 Terrors level 5. How much game is left after this dungeon?

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

February 17th, 2014, 19:27
After I finished Tomb of 1000 Terrors it took me another 4 hours to finish the game.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

February 17th, 2014, 19:38
Originally Posted by Kordanor View Post
After I finished Tomb of 1000 Terrors it took me another 4 hours to finish the game.
I don't think it took me that long, maybe 2-3 hours. It's kind of hard to keep track of time in games like these though. Finished it today, and the general feeling it left me with is God I want more! I really hope they get to make sequels, I've no idea how much it has sold but I would absolutely pre-order the next installment.

Does anyone know if they're planning expansions to this game or is it done?

I encountered only a single bug (and it's on the fix list of the patch) and had no performance issues whatsoever.

tomasp3n

Watchamacallit?

February 17th, 2014, 19:49
I'd like to see them tweak some of the stuff in this game, before calling it done, but I would buy MMXI today, no questions asked.

The biggest miss, in my opinion, is the lack of "honorary" promotions. All parties should be able to complete all dungeons. Just because I don't have a paladin shouldn't mean that I can't place the disk on the statue in the cursed ruins. Allow everyone to do the quest, with crusaders getting extra xp like a character would for getting the kill shot on a monster. Say crusaders get 1100 xp while all other classes just get 1000. This would give every party reason to visit every dungeon.

The argument against this would be less reason for replaying the game, but I don't think that holds water because 95% of the content is still the same.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

February 17th, 2014, 19:50
Well, I have the advantage of having everything on Video.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis…tXLNIn5osbRDzK

In the next patch we will get 3 additional dungeons and the Developers said in the Reddit SQA the following:

It's too soon for promises and declarations of intent, but if we do a MM11 we'd certainly like to make it a bit more ambitious
about the barks, I discovered while writing them how difficult it was Also some lines that work on paper might not work that well depending on the voice actor, etc. But I've clearly learned a lot and I'll definitely write better barks if we do MM11.
It will depend on how well MMX sells, but I think it's safe to say that both the M&M team at Ubisoft and at Limbic Entertainment hope MMX is only the beginning of a new era

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

February 17th, 2014, 19:54
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
The argument against this would be less reason for replaying the game, but I don't think that holds water because 95% of the content is still the same.
Wouldn't even be as bad if it was implemented right. But at the moment you get quest items and locations where you think "well, I am probably missing something here" as with lots of other riddles in the game. Just that in these cases you cannot solve it due to the missing class.

I would even prefer a "You need a paladin in your group to continue here"-message to the situation it currently is in game. But a smoother integration would be preferable of course.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

February 17th, 2014, 21:30
I was curious about how much content was left for a couple reasons:

1. I haven't tackled a few dungeons because of the class restrictions. I could go clean them out, but there is no impetus. I haven't found a combat challenging since I hit GM levels.

2. I'm nowhere near level 40 and assume it can't be reached in Adventurer mode. This means that warrior mode either has more creatures and/or higher xp for higher difficulty.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

February 17th, 2014, 21:53
Level 40 cannot be reached at all atm. Guess the achievement is a relict from before they adjusted the XP system which was changed quite a lot since Early access.
Maybe it's possible after the next patch with the new dungeons. But anyways, all relevant skills are maxed out at the end of the game anyways and as you said - there isn't much of a challenge anymore.

Balancing is not a strong point of this game unfortunately.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

February 17th, 2014, 21:53
You can't reach level 40 in the game as it is. I finished every quest and every dungeon except one that I believe is exclusive to Orc characters? I finished at level 32-33, warrior difficulty.

I actually think locking out content because you don't have the right class/race is perfectly fine, but as Kordanor says it should be better implemented, as in don't let me assemble the disc and clear the dungeon if I don't have a Paladin. Remove the disc items from the game and give the priest in the chapel the key to the dungeon, and make him clearly state that he will only give the key to a Paladin. So that we get that feeling of "damn, maybe I should bring a Paladin along next time…" (I'll be sure to bring both an Orc and a Dwarf in my next playthrough, as far as I know those are the ones with exclusive dungeons? Or can you enter Sudgerd without a dwarf?

tomasp3n

Watchamacallit?

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Might & Magic X - Post-launch Patch Details