|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch - StarCrawlers Interview

Default RPGWatch - StarCrawlers Interview

February 28th, 2014, 22:38
We had the chance to interview Juggernaut Games about StarCrawlers. I want to thank Elena Consacro the Producer of StarCrawlers for allowing the interview.

At the time of posting the interview the project is already funded, and has $65,875 pledged of the games $65,000 goal. Congratulations Juggernaut Games.

RPGWatch: Let me get started by saying thanks Juggernaut Games for agreeing to do this short interview. So to get started can you tell us a little about your company and game StarCrawlers?

Juggernaut: Thanks! Juggernaut is a small indie team of seven located in San Diego, California. We’ve been working together for 3 years doing contract work and making content for Sony Computer Entertainment. StarCrawlers is our first opportunity to work together on our own original game project. As a team, we decided we wanted to make a dungeon crawler, but not in an ARPG or 2d platformer style.

We wanted to focus on rpg story elements with a strong feeling of player choice and consequences and then add some random elements into the mix with what we’re calling the “narrative AI” and procedurally generated dungeons. It’s really important to the whole team that we create an experience that is as enjoyable to replay as it is to experience the first time. Procedurally generated content also goes hand in hand with building out complex structures on the fly, and lends itself to indie efforts where you don’t have a massive team to build content.
More information.

"Frankly Sir /Madam I don't give a damn about your opinion."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

February 28th, 2014, 22:39
Enjoy my third interview and keep the recommendations coming. I have two more on the way, and they might be ready by next week.

"Frankly Sir /Madam I don't give a damn about your opinion."- Couchpotato
Last edited by Couchpotato; February 28th, 2014 at 22:50.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

February 28th, 2014, 22:48
Science-Fiction dungeon crawler - not bad.

I'm a little worried about the "procedurally generates missions and dungeons with randomized encounters, traps, and enemies".

Can a procedurally generated dungeon be as good as a manually generated dungeon?

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

March 1st, 2014, 00:08
@HiddenX

I hope so as I'm a big fan of secret doors. I asked the developers about it and apparently they will be varied unlike legends of grimrock. I reckon it can be done so long as they are careful with the parameters they set ie. tileset x to tileset t only etc.

Silver

Watcher

March 1st, 2014, 07:45
They need $38.000 more to implement 4 more classes.

-> Kickstarter

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken
Last edited by HiddenX; March 1st, 2014 at 08:04.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

March 1st, 2014, 08:30
Its an interesting project and there seems to be a decent amount of work done. So I backed them (minimum pledge to get the game plus change is all I do these days, alas) a few days ago.

Pity that the stretch goals look so far away. Maybe they can enrich the game after release but the base experience should be decent enough methinks…

JonNik

SasqWatch

March 1st, 2014, 12:24
In addition to Kickstarter they support PayPal now, too:

http://starcrawlers.com/crowdfund/

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

March 1st, 2014, 20:33
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
I'm a little worried about the "procedurally generates missions and dungeons with randomized encounters, traps, and enemies".
Same here, and that's the only reason I haven't backed this. This game looks like it could be a lot of fun, but I would prefer if the world wasn't procedurally generated. To me, that makes it more of a Roguelike than a classic dungeon crawler.

It would be nice if the main campaign was hand-crafted and we had the option to play procedurally generated levels after we completed it. I realize that's asking a lot though.

JDR13

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch - StarCrawlers Interview