|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

October 9th, 2013, 09:32
I'm not into any comic books and I liked Dredd

It wasn't fantastic, but it was solid and entertaining. I found the visuals to be novel and effective as well. It's actually pretty much the only movie I've seen in 3D that was significantly enhanced by it - and I'm talking about the slow motion stuff in particular.

That said, it's probably more of a male movie, all things considered.

Oh, and I liked that blonde

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

October 9th, 2013, 15:45
I liked Dredd. The new one for the action and the old one for the campy fun.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

October 9th, 2013, 18:49
The old one is great as a vomit inducer

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

October 9th, 2013, 21:24
I enjoyed the original Judge Dredd, it was like a good B movie, and it didn't take itself too seriously. The writing was mediocre, but the interaction between Stallone and Rob Schneider was good for a few laughs. Same thing with Demolition Man.

JDR13

SasqWatch

October 9th, 2013, 21:34
Totally with JDR here, plus the new Dredd lacked the dark humor of the comic books.
As for it being a 'male' movie … well, hmmm … let me think: (Nearly) no booze, no cars, no females in skimpy bikinis! Hubby hated it even more than I did (and that's the truth).
G.I. Joe: Retaliation was definitely the more 'female' flick. Lots of male eye candy .

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 11th, 2013, 08:28
Gravity

Go see it.

And bring a towel with you to wipe off the sweat you get from all that suspense.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

October 11th, 2013, 21:35
Not to go against the grain here, but I just got back from Gravity and it had way too much Hollywood fantasy for my tastes.

Spoiler

Some good backdrops of the earth and the blackness of space during the early part of the film though.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

October 16th, 2013, 12:20
Really didn't plan to write about it, but the recent "mature sex in DA" craptalk from Bio's PR got on my nerves.

Pacific Rim
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1663662/

What is the movie about? Imagine it as Transformers vs Jurrassic Park. Mech lovers and Godzilla lovers unite.

The story is nothing original - the planet is about to be invaded by gigantic beasts and mechs controlled by pilots are trying to stop them, first by fighting then by attempting to close the transdimensional portal those beasts come from. Action, action and more action, if there's no fight between huge creatures/creations, actors fight among themselves and not just verbally. Eyecandy CGI, good and famous actors, no instadetected plotholes no obvious editing cuts. Plus a few hidden messages for those with crazy logic.

To clear up this last sentence, let's pretend (or not for some) you're living in USA. Your country is constantly "invaded" by "evil monsters" (from Mexico). What do you do? You make a wall. Does it help? No it doesn't. This movie criticises exactly that. Thus I bet it wasn't really popular in USA.

IMO the whole thing is 100 times better than Transformers movie (btw I adored cartoon series, but got disgusted with the movie about Megan Fox attributes so much that I've never seen it's sequels).
What you need to enjoy the movie immensly is your inner child - if you didn't kill it ages ago pretending it's useless or retarded to keep it.

And finally to the point from the starting of this post. Or should I say, to the director. Guillermo del Toro, praised by some (me included), hated by others.
Is this really *his* movie or stuff in it was dictated by producers? Oh, it's his movie. Definetly. There is something Del Toro does to the audience with everything he makes. What is it?
No romance. No sex. Yup.

This is a movie without yucktalk and without pr0n scenes. That's Del Toro. So different than upcoming DA3. And because I've enjoyed not just that, but the whole thing:
B+

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

October 16th, 2013, 12:32
It has been a few weeks, but realized I never mentioned that my wife and I went to see 'Don Jon'.

Total 'meh' - if you saw the trailer, you saw the movie. Shallow plot, paper-thin characters, no depth to anything going on.

I have no idea about the acclaim - I really like Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and also Scarlett Johansson and Tony Danza and Julianne Moore - but none of the characters can ever escape the limits of the movie.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

October 17th, 2013, 22:14
Loved Pacific Rim Need to buy it on blu-ray now. One of the only movies I've ever gone to see twice in theatres. I only wish they had chosen a different lead actor - man did I hate that guy.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

October 22nd, 2013, 12:56
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
I'd try with Pacific Rim (should be in US theatres right now) and Snowpiercer (later this year). Those two are my plan to watch, or in other words I expect those two to be good.
There is also possibly good Ender's Game coming, but it depends what will Hollywood do, hopefully they won't massacre it like Jackson did with LotR.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706620/
In my country this movie comes to theatres next month.

Seems that idiots from The Weinstein Company are cutting the film by 20 minutes for worldwide distribution. The reason? Read this article:
http://twitchfilm.com/2013/08/weinst…owpiercer.html

Oh, don't miss the title of this article too:
http://www.slashfilm.com/the-weinste…ns-are-stupid/
Such version will most probably appear in cinemas over here and mark my words - I won't be watching it! Instead, I'll wait for the full version DVD and import it.

The story about idiocy doesn't end here. I don't speak french so didn't buy the comic upon which the movie Snowpiercer is based. And finally Titan Comics will publish the comic with english translation!
http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar…of-snowpiercer

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee… Wait… It'll be printed as two volumes in NEXT 2 YEARS.
OMG.

At least noone cut the animated prequel/trailer nor we have to wait 2 years for the translation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb3UQgb2ObA

Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; October 22nd, 2013 at 13:24.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

October 23rd, 2013, 05:15
Well as the presumed American mid-west hick he, and the rest of the world can pardon what I'm about to say for this generalization.
Spoiler – NSFW

I have no plans to watch this movie at all now
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Loved Pacific Rim Need to buy it on blu-ray now. One of the only movies I've ever gone to see twice in theatres. I only wish they had chosen a different lead actor - man did I hate that guy.
I just watched it and agree it's not that bad. The first time I saw the trailer was Gundam meets Godzilla. Can't wait for the second movie that has been confirmed already.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

October 25th, 2013, 15:29
Just read that this is not the first victim to this Weinstein dude:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_…_and_criticism

Is he normal? Why didn't someone kicked him out of movie business for good? Not only he's ruining stuff, he's obviously underestimating and insulting the audience.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

October 28th, 2013, 13:30
The Counselor I'm a fan of Cormac McArthy's novels, so I couldn't wait to see this film. Overall reviews have not been good, but I enjoyed it. The end, however, was too predictable & introduction of characters with no background on who they were or how the protagonist knew them were some points against it imo. It's by no means a perfect film & if I were to really examine what I saw it may not stand up to scrutiny. Perhaps this would have been a better novel than screenplay.

I am fascinated by movies or TV series involving the dark world of drug trafficking, so this film was right up my alley. Probably best to either wait for Netflix or go to a matinee for the lower ticket price.

EvilManagedCare

Sentinel

October 30th, 2013, 03:16
Escape Plan

Surprisingly fun, if a bit predictable. Stallone was Stallone, but Arnold's acting was tip-top! 50 Cent (the rapper-turned-actor) was decent too; it's getting to the point that I don't instantly dismiss him as an actor if I see him in the credits.

Recommended if you're a fan of 80's action flicks.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

November 6th, 2013, 02:10
Kick-Ass 2

Just a plain great movie! Cliche at a couple points, but you are left with a smile when the credits roll. Definitely be buying this on blu-ray.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

November 8th, 2013, 23:40
I have just watched (on Bluray DVD) Man of Steel. And I was sort of like this
when I watched, until I finally got it. Chris Nolan (the director) has taken the Superman myth and made it into some sort of Batman myth. The openings for Man of Steel remind me way too much of the plot/opening scene of Batman Begins as does the end scene.

On another more positive note, I just watched this movie as well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Up_on_Poppy_Hill

A fine movie which tells the story of a girl and a boy, living in 1963, one year before the 1964 olympics in Tokyo. The film also has fine morale about what people can do when they work together on common project, even make people change their minds.

And I have never laughed as much when I watched Despicable Me 2….

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

November 9th, 2013, 02:33
Man of Steel's director was actually Zack Snyder, aka Mr. 300. Chris Nolan did have a hand in writing the script however.

To me, the movie was a great letdown. They forgot what Superman was all about. Instead of being uplifted, I came out of the theater with a distinct lack of feeling one way or another - simply another forgettable movie experience. As derivative as it was, I enjoyed Superman Returns a lot more.

Speaking of letdowns, I saw the new Thor today… 200 million dollar budgets are ruining films through and through.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

November 9th, 2013, 08:12
I saw the new Carrie remake yesterday. It wasn't my idea, but a friend wanted to see it.

Suffice to say, it was terrible.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 9th, 2013, 23:29
Hmmm, all I can say I won't go watching Superman nor Carrie. Not interested into yet another take on the same old superhero, and I'm not falling for another silly and unnecessary remake of a cult classic.

But am posting because I've discovered that Y: The Last Man is being filmed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y:_The_…ilm_adaptation
The comic it's based on is post-apocaliptic, all men die and only one is left on the whole planet, at least it seems so at first. Honestly I don't think that the comic is a masterpiece, it lacks of human behavior study on many levels and too many things are left open/unanswered but as a light sci-fi movie it could work. If you didn't read the comic I suggest not to, it's pretty expensive to buy the whole saga unless you're comicworm like me (it's available in 10 huge tomes on Amazon) and simply have to buy it. Let's hope the movie does a good job, it should be out next year.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread