|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

November 19th, 2013, 01:04
I keep watching the Volvo commercial with Van Damme doing his awesome split. Really cool commercial.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

November 19th, 2013, 17:57
I've just seen The Longer Ranger. Other than a very great performance by Johny Depp (as always) it was a mediocre movie, I found. Mainly because the movie itself couldn't decide if it wanted to be a) an ironic twist -and hommage - to the old Lone Ranger movies/series or b) a real western movie or c) a family movie. Thus becoming none of these.

On the other hand I enjoyed Princess Monokoke…

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

November 19th, 2013, 18:05
Mononoke… I can't see what's so stellar about that anime, to me it's ecological brainstorm wannabe/fail since I live in a country without any kind of environment pollution so to me it was pretty much "meh". And I do like anime stuff generally, just couldn't understand why are ppl so excited about this one.

The Lone Ranger you mentioned… Flopped on US market. For whatever reason.
But I adored it! It's not a masterpiece, but everything in it, means action, western, thriller, humor, drama and a bit of fantasy, was mixed inbetween perfectly. Oh it does decide what it is. Fun. It is fun. Nothing more than that. If you wanted something else, you're searching in the wrong place.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

December 11th, 2013, 11:24
Godzilla… nuff said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBwsUD7jYCI

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 11th, 2013, 13:00
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Godzilla… nuff said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBwsUD7jYCI
'nuff said because it looks like a totally generic over-produced standard disaster action movie?

'nuff said because until the final 5 seconds it could have been anything? (see above generic comment)

or 'nuff said because it is yet another example of how Hollywood's idea of innovation is throwing cash and big explosions and 'dark & gritty' at every already-done idea to come up with a bigger, louder and totally inferior product that will sell enough on hype to justify the NEXT fetid pile of crap … like this?

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

December 11th, 2013, 22:25
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
'nuff said because it looks like a totally generic over-produced standard disaster action movie?

'nuff said because until the final 5 seconds it could have been anything? (see above generic comment)

or 'nuff said because it is yet another example of how Hollywood's idea of innovation is throwing cash and big explosions and 'dark & gritty' at every already-done idea to come up with a bigger, louder and totally inferior product that will sell enough on hype to justify the NEXT fetid pile of crap … like this?

I guess it never occurred to you that I might simply be a fan of Godzilla in general.

Or maybe you were just in the mood to go off on an inane rant today.

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 12th, 2013, 20:07
I've just watched a movie called Now You See Me. I was looking forward to seeing this movie very much. And I did enjoy it - right until the end! Thw whole movie was then revealed to be about - revenge….

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2013, 20:18
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I guess it never occurred to you that I might simply be a fan of Godzilla in general.
Sorry - after seeing the trailer that didn't cross my mind!

Being a fan of Godzilla would describe many of us - myself included. Which is why when you linked to a trailer that could easily have been *anything* (heck, it could have been a Transformers movie by just changing the last 5 seconds), my initial assumption was 'nuff said was linked more to a 'oh here we go AGAIN' sentiment rather than excitement.

I hope I am wrong and it is just a crappy trailer.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

December 12th, 2013, 21:47
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Sorry - after seeing the trailer that didn't cross my mind!

Being a fan of Godzilla would describe many of us - myself included. Which is why when you linked to a trailer that could easily have been *anything* (heck, it could have been a Transformers movie by just changing the last 5 seconds), my initial assumption was 'nuff said was linked more to a 'oh here we go AGAIN' sentiment rather than excitement.

I hope I am wrong and it is just a crappy trailer.
I tell you what they got a director that did a great little movie called Monsters, I think. About a couple that had to escape Mexico during a giant alien invasion Nice little indie director and I have some faith in him to do Godzilla right. But I am a huge Godzilla fan. Grew up in the 1970's hehe. I am hopeful but they did break my heart back in 1998. ROAR

"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable

December 12th, 2013, 21:49
Anyone ready to go see the Hobbit tonight or tomorrow.

Hastar

Unspeakable

December 12th, 2013, 22:16
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
Anyone ready to go see the Hobbit tonight or tomorrow.
Still have to see the last one . Price not low enough yet

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

December 12th, 2013, 22:17
I still have to see the first one, too. Don't even know where to rent the DVD, as all the shops have disappeared. :/

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2013, 22:30
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
I still have to see the first one, too. Don't even know where to rent the DVD, as all the shops have disappeared. :/
You could always do a RedBox or digital rental. I am waiting for it to go on Amazon Prime (i.e. free) … or enough pull from the family 1 book, 3 movies … massive cash grab … not the biggest draw for me.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

December 12th, 2013, 22:43
I'm going to see it tomorrow. But I'll have to bear with it being 3D. There is no regular 2D projection in my town. I hope it doesn't ruin it too much.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

December 12th, 2013, 22:45
RedBox? Oh, I've seen those. Should look into it. Thanks!

I may wait for extended version release.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2013, 22:51
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
RedBox? Oh, I've seen those. Should look into it. Thanks!

I may wait for extended version release.
Extended version came out last month. I really enjoyed it.

Hastar

Unspeakable

December 12th, 2013, 22:52
Missing from RedBox though….

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2013, 23:24
I was pretty disappointed with the first Hobbit movie. In fact, I still haven't seen the ending yet because I fell asleep before I could get through the whole thing. I don't have much hope of the second part being better.

I'll be mildly interested in the third part though just to see how badly Jackson can f*ck up The Battle of Five Armies. That was always my favorite part in the book.

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 13th, 2013, 19:32
Didn't go for the first one, won't watch the new one nor the third one.

Sorry but Jackson's LotR trilogy is IMO an insult to books and I'm not watching anything else he directed. That means no Hobbit and no Nice Bones or whatever was the title of some movie he directed a few years ago.
Oh, I'm aware I'm the minority, but just so you know there are ppl who refuse to change their taste and yell "a masterpiece!" after seeing the rubbish he makes.

I have to add something else however. While rotten as a director, he does his job perfectly as a producer. Which means, if he'll only produce, I'm in. It doesn't have to be District 9 sequels.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

December 13th, 2013, 20:48
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Didn't go for the first one, won't watch the new one nor the third one.

Sorry but Jackson's LotR trilogy is IMO an insult to books and I'm not watching anything else he directed. That means no Hobbit and no Nice Bones or whatever was the title of some movie he directed a few years ago.
Oh, I'm aware I'm the minority, but just so you know there are ppl who refuse to change their taste and yell "a masterpiece!" after seeing the rubbish he makes.

I have to add something else however. While rotten as a director, he does his job perfectly as a producer. Which means, if he'll only produce, I'm in. It doesn't have to be District 9 sequels.
Ahhh your a fool Bad Taste was the greatest movie ever made. Aliens that come to earth to use humans for their fast food chains. BRILLIANT MASTERPIECE!!!!!

Hastar

Unspeakable

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread