|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

December 30th, 2010, 22:33
I may not be getting my point across correctly and I apologize. I have a learning disability called dysgraphia, which affects my ability to put thoughts on paper. Anyways, what I am trying to say and I hope I do it right this time, is that going to see a movie just for special effects is no different than going to see a film just to see a certain actor or actress, or a certain genre. My daught absolutely loves Johnny Depp, so she sees every single film he is in. She likes the film of course even though others may hate it. Some films are just mindless fun, and special effects may be the only thing it has going for it. Some films just have to be seen on the big screen because of special effects. It is all only my opinion of course. I didn't mean to imply that everyone should like a film, or you are wrong for wanting other things. I apologize if I offended anyone. That was not my intent.

Icefire

Sentinel
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

December 30th, 2010, 23:57
The Road
Excellent film, makes Children of Men look like a comedy.

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

December 31st, 2010, 03:48
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
The Road
Excellent film, makes Children of Men look like a comedy.
Ouch… must be one depressing movie. I thought CoM was great though…

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 31st, 2010, 09:06
Unthinkable
Pretty cool movie. Touches on the matter whether a few lives, and the humanity lost in the process, are worth sacrificing for the good of a lot of lives. Both Samuel Jackson and Carrie Ann-Moss did a good job with this one.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

January 2nd, 2011, 18:24
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
It is depressing to say the least. When you think about the Fallout universe and how exciting it is The Road slaps you back to reality. Children of Men was depressing and brutal but nothing like The Road.

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

January 2nd, 2011, 18:28
Originally Posted by Icefire View Post
I may not be getting my point across correctly and I apologize. I have a learning disability called dysgraphia, which affects my ability to put thoughts on paper. Anyways, what I am trying to say and I hope I do it right this time, is that going to see a movie just for special effects is no different than going to see a film just to see a certain actor or actress, or a certain genre. My daught absolutely loves Johnny Depp, so she sees every single film he is in. She likes the film of course even though others may hate it. Some films are just mindless fun, and special effects may be the only thing it has going for it. Some films just have to be seen on the big screen because of special effects. It is all only my opinion of course. I didn't mean to imply that everyone should like a film, or you are wrong for wanting other things. I apologize if I offended anyone. That was not my intent.
You certainly didn't offend me, and I'm happy you enjoyed Skyline

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 2nd, 2011, 18:40
Originally Posted by Icefire View Post
I see people trash movies like Skyline and Transformers and I have to ask. What in the hell were you expecting to see in these films? Films like these have been, are, and always will be, about one thing. Special effects. That's it. And along those lines they did very well. You are not going to get a great plot, terrific acting or whathave you. You are going to get special effects. Anyone expecting more is going to be sorely disappointed.
Big effects films can still suck bad. They have to have a story and characters you care about. I just check aintitcool because all they do is review this kind of stuff and they look at these things in the proper context. They thought Skyline was crap and outline very clearly why.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47428
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47424

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

January 2nd, 2011, 19:20
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Had it on the DVR and finally got around to watching it. Seriously oppressive film. I don't demand that my movies be all rainbows and unicorns, but The Road was a heaping helping of miserable. Not really a bad movie, but there wasn't any aspect of it good enough to overcome the gloom.

Also watched Legion. Disappointing. Bad acting, lousy writing, and gaping plot holes are just too much for the neat CGI to beat.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

January 2nd, 2011, 22:48
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
Big effects films can still suck bad. They have to have a story and characters you care about. I just check aintitcool because all they do is review this kind of stuff and they look at these things in the proper context. They thought Skyline was crap and outline very clearly why.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47428
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47424
He rated it just like I said. The only thing it had were good special effects. The rest sucked. I simply just did not get my point across very well.

Icefire

Sentinel
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

January 3rd, 2011, 13:56
Resident Evil: Afterlife

I fully expected it to stink, and, just like the 2nd & 3rd RE films, it did. Sub-par acting, ridiculous action scenes, and a typical B movie plot. I don't understand how the other films grossed enough money for them to make this one. Hopefully it will be the last…

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 3rd, 2011, 17:43
When I woke up in my hotel room on New Years Day, Idiocracy was on TV, and we watched the movie minus the first ten or so minutes. Pretty, pretty funny. Not Anchorman-, Dodgeball- or The Producers-funny, but funny enough for Dad, Mom and and Sonny Jaz.

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

January 3rd, 2011, 21:10
Rented some movies over the weekend.

The Abyss (Director's Cut)
Great movie. I love underwater films almost as much as deep space ones. I watched it some years ago but didn't remember everything. Heard the theatrical version had a bad ending, what was that about?

How to Tame Your Dragon
Hilarious roller coaster ride of Vikings and Dragons. Fun, fun, fun! No 08/15 animation material. Splendid, terrific movie. Go see.

Ronja Robbersdaughter
I was finally able to see this classic kids movie again. Wonderful stuff. Go see.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

January 3rd, 2011, 23:34
Originally Posted by Jaz View Post
When I woke up in my hotel room on New Years Day, Idiocracy was on TV, and we watched the movie minus the first ten or so minutes. Pretty, pretty funny.
"Go away, I'm batin!"

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 8th, 2011, 17:19
Well I watched The Road last night. You guys got me curious enough to rent it.

Yep, pretty depressing all right. As far as entertainment though, I thought it was sort of "meh". It wasn't bad, just not enough going on for me. I wish the story had included some insight on what had actually happened to cause the world to be in that state.

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 8th, 2011, 17:57
Valhalla Rising is another depressing film. Beautiful scenes, a rough atmosphere, hardly any dialog. A great Mads Mikkelsen. Very interesting.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

January 9th, 2011, 09:25
Thanks for listing those depressing movies - now I know which flicks to avoid .

Yesterday, a friend returned all the DVDs he had borrowed years ago. Now I can finally watch Team America again .

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

January 10th, 2011, 12:47
True Grit : Interesting movie , that little girl was great on the role , i greatly enjoyed the fact that people in the movie are not overreacting like in tv

FUBAR II : I like the "real life" scenario and the documentary like shooting but most dialogues were not funny and the guys are morons ( of course this is the topic of the movie) .

Tragos

Otinanist

January 10th, 2011, 12:49
I saw A Serbian Film last night. It was ok but I was expecting more…

bloodlover

Sentinel

January 11th, 2011, 15:18
Saw a few days ago The Legend Of The Boneknapper Dragon - the second movie of the "How to train your dragon" saga … It's a short, approx. 15 minuted long movie, and it's partly retelling the youth of the handicapped smith … forgot his name … and that in a very humorous way.

I found (following rumors) the 2-disc-variant in a shop of a drug store chain - as a "steelbook" variant. It was expensive : 20 Euros ! - But I wanted it, and so I bought it.

And now I have the soundtrack in my brain again (had to listen to it, of course, again ), and I just love it …

I do hope they'll do many more movies of this saga …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

January 13th, 2011, 12:36
I watched The Fountain last night. A very beautiful movie. A nice blend of fiction and drama.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread