|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

November 25th, 2011, 15:09
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Just finished watching Super 8.

Not a bad movie, but I kept thinking it felt a little too familiar. Then it hit me… I already saw this movie back in 1982. It was called E.T.

Not that the story is really that similar, although there definitely are some common themes. It was more the overall "feel" of the film. J.J. Abrams is credited as the writer, but Spielberg's influence is obvious.

I think I would have liked Super 8 a lot more if I saw it when I was younger. That's not to say adults can't enjoy it, but it would definitely have appealed to me more 20 years ago.
I agree that its a movie for children and that it it is very similar to E.T. in several aspects.

The very special aspect, however, is the movie-in-the-movie theme and I found this very well made. Seeing the complete Super-8-movie at the end (was it even after the credits?) was a very moving experience.

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

November 30th, 2011, 01:05
A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas

Unless you're high and looking for some cheap laughs, skip it. I liked the first two H&K movies, but this one was just flat-out stupid.

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 1st, 2011, 14:31
I found this via another forum : "Prometheus" :
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=84752

There are two interesting comments there which kind of "struck" me :

Posted by:
ChrisC5g
November 30, 2011
They look like Mass Effect clothing , this movie should be great though aliens or no its the same universe.
Posted by:
Jennifer
December 1, 2011
Oh dear, this will be the Feminized version. This movie will flop because it will be too Feminized and Misandrist. The story will be overshadowed by Feminist Hate Politics. It is very important to ensure that girls are empowered at the expense of men. The Hollywood standard is to portray men as dumb, submissive and emotionally weak cry babies. When a man strikes a girl, it is abuse. When a girl strikes a man, it is girl empowerment. Be sure to call girls "wymmin" to empower girls, and men as boys or "guys" to emasculate men. Girls will get an empowerment speech, while men will get a feminist Misandrist hate speech. The men will cry like little girls throughout the entire movie.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

December 2nd, 2011, 09:22
I'm looking forward to Prometheus - though I've lost my faith in Ridley after his last 3-4 films. Still, if there's one film that could make him less commercial and regain some of his earlier passion - this would be it.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

December 4th, 2011, 14:29
Willard

A bizarre movie about a man who trains a horde of rats that he finds living in his house. To be honest, I wasn't quite sure what to think of it.

Skavenhorde would like it.

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 12th, 2011, 03:32
Farscape, Season 3.

This is such a great scifi series. The writing is so very different from what I've come to expect from other sci fi (Star Trek, Andromeda, etc). Just finished watching an episode where a group of settlers is massacred despite our hero's promise that they'd be ok after he left them. Very different.

If you can get over the initial muppet stigma, you're in for a treat!

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

December 12th, 2011, 12:27
Willard

A bizarre movie about a man who trains a horde of rats that he finds living in his house. To be honest, I wasn't quite sure what to think of it.

Skavenhorde would like it.
Did you ever see the original? I like that one better … but that might be because I saw it as a young kid …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

December 12th, 2011, 20:21
Didn't Michael Jackson sing "Ben" for the original? I remember finding the original odd when I saw it.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2011, 21:34
I see up there Super8… It's not bad, really it's not… However…

Attack the block
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1478964/

Are you annoyed already with all those movies where kids behave like they are adults, where they are superstars, where no kid dies? I mean… It's all one big sleezy yuck!
Seems I'm not alone feeling it, that's probably why this movie kicked arse worldwide. "Heroes" in this movie are not some nice kids, but a local gang who are into some illegal stuff. Not only that, they're, as kids should be, almost plain stupid! What happens? "Their" part of the city is suddenlty swarming with aliens. Now… Who'll survive? Who won't? Does it matter if you deal the pot and rob grannies on the street when the threat is near? Can a bunch of local cretins do anything to stop the invasion or they'll just run away?
Unlike Super8, Attack the block doesn't have some ubelievable special effects, but roles in the movie are more real than super8' ones. Try this movie, compare it to Super8. I say Super8 is good, but Attack the block is a masterpiece.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2011, 21:45
I just watched a movie called Withnail & I. Interesting coming of age buddy comedy. A little older if that's something you don't like, but I liked it.

rossrjensen

Sentinel

December 12th, 2011, 23:55
Klovn. A funny danish comedy. Warning, contains crude humour. Basically The Hangover + Curb Your Enthusiasm + Dogme 95.

hishadow

Level N+1

December 13th, 2011, 14:15
This isn't a film, but we don't have a T.V. series sticky here.

In any event, freaking Boardwalk Empire went from borderline interesting, but too many sex scenes in season one. To WTF just happened in season 2?

Season 2 blew my mind and pissed me off a bit as well. I won't say why or how because that would ruin it for you, but this season was one hell of a rollercoaster ride. Can't wait to see what Steve Buscemi is up to next season. It's good to see him playing something other than a creepy weird dude. The guy has got a lot of talent.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

December 15th, 2011, 06:35
Event Horizon

Not the first time I've seen it of course, but I hadn't watched it in awhile. Fantastic movie all around, and one of the greats in the sci-fi horror genre. It almost ranks up there with Alien and The Thing.

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 15th, 2011, 09:47
Do you see!!!!!!!

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

December 15th, 2011, 23:41
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Do you see!!!!!!!
"Oh. My. God. What happened to your eyes?"

"Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see. "

Also, I watched The Mist last night. Seeing it mentioned in that other thread recently got me thinking about it. I hadn't seen it since the theater release, and it was still as good as I remembered it. In fact, I think it might be my favorite Stephen King movie.

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 16th, 2011, 10:33
"Oh. My. God. What happened to your eyes?"

"Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see. "

Also, I watched The Mist last night. Seeing it mentioned in that other thread recently got me thinking about it. I hadn't seen it since the theater release, and it was still as good as I remembered it. In fact, I think it might be my favorite Stephen King movie.
So… you've developed reasonably good taste

I'll try to forget the thing about The Thing 2011.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

December 16th, 2011, 10:38
Hmm, I thought I was one of the few that really dug the generally under-appreciated Event Horizon.

That said I wouldn't put it quite up there with the Aliens…

JonNik

SasqWatch

December 16th, 2011, 10:43
Well, to be honest, I think Event Horizon is a bit crappy - but the first ~50-70% of the movie is pretty strong. It's just very unpleasant in a very efficient way

I was certainly affected by it the first couple of times I saw it, and that's the kind of thing I'm going for when watching movies.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

December 16th, 2011, 10:47
Most certainly would not call it crappy either. It had some b-movie vibe in a couple of places but that is not always such a bad thing.

And yeah, very effecting atmosphere especially on the first viewing.

Speaking of under appreciated Sam Neil movies (the guy can be so delightfully creepy) I need to dig up my mouth of madness dvd from the pile one of these days..

JonNik

SasqWatch

December 16th, 2011, 10:48
MoM is great

I recommend the low-budget "Dagon" - if you're into Lovecraft movies. It's not fantastic, but it's the best Lovecraft adaption I've seen. Also, there's one scene in the film that certainly affected me.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread