|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

February 22nd, 2012, 23:22
Went to see Journey 2 with the youngest in 3D. It has a silly plot and the acting was OK. I've definitely seen Michael Caine giving a better performance before, I found him way below average in this one.
The CGI was good, so if you, like me, are able to not overthink average movies like this you actually might get some enjoyment out of it
I'll skip this one for the DVD collection.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

Default Tinker, Sailor, Soldier, Spy - DVD

February 26th, 2012, 14:36
I just got this out on DVD as I didn't get a chance to see it at the pics. I know everyone's probably raving about it but have to confess I found it a bit hard going. Thought for the trailers it would be a bit more action packed but it was a bit snoozeville for me. I'm guessing I'm probably in the minority judging by the amount of awards and nominations it's getting but hey ho!

Anyone got any ideas for something a bit more exciting?

Thanks

TonyM

Traveler

March 2nd, 2012, 13:18
… There seems to be a sequel : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYOs6bK6A5o

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 5th, 2012, 01:19
We watched Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1' … and even having enjoyed at least the first one a bit I was amazed at how bad this was. The acting was already bad, but really stood out here. Also, the production values were atrocious … makeup changes from shot to shot and other inconsistencies. It really came across as a cynical production that figured the Twi-hards would buy it so why waste money making it good …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 5th, 2012, 01:43
Watched the last part of Harry Potter. All mysteries are now resolved and we learned that Harry's mother had a threesome.

hishadow

Level N+1

March 5th, 2012, 10:30
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
I just got this out on DVD as I didn't get a chance to see it at the pics. I know everyone's probably raving about it but have to confess I found it a bit hard going. Thought for the trailers it would be a bit more action packed but it was a bit snoozeville for me. I'm guessing I'm probably in the minority judging by the amount of awards and nominations it's getting but hey ho!

Anyone got any ideas for something a bit more exciting?

Thanks
If you've missed it back in the day, watch The Usual Suspects. It has a good amount of reasonably spectacular action scenes (given the tight budget; they're going for clever instead of more booom), a very clever script, superb acting and a surprising conclusion. This was the only movie ever I wanted to immediately watch again when I came out of cinema.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

March 5th, 2012, 14:13
Watched The Adventures of Tintin. I read somewhere it's "the most typical Spielberg movie since Hook", and I agree with it. A lot of harmless over the top action. The characters from the comics (highly recommended, read the three comic books this film is based upon) are reasonably correct. The mix of overpainted actors and heavy f/x is a matter of taste.
There's too much of the drunken / not drunken Captain Haddock in the second half and a couple of character building calm scenes would have been useful. Overall it's a surprisingly respectful comic adaptation, even though the charme of the comics has been replaced by flashy technological gimmicks. The last 3rd is a bit weaker than the rest.
B-.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

March 9th, 2012, 13:08
Machine Gun Preacher 2/5. Too drawn out, main character feels wrong.

Adventures of Tintin. 4/5. 3D wasnt very impressive for this movie which disapointed me a little. The characters looks a little too odd sometimes with their _extremely_ large noses, it's like they're from one universe and Tintin from another (Tintin looks quite natural). Other than that i really liked this movie, can't wait for more..

Open Range. A weak 4/5. Surprisingly feel-good for a western (but not in a bad way).

vurt

Serial Modderer

March 15th, 2012, 06:30
Just watched The Grey.

It was a rather interesting film, with solid ensemble acting, excellent cinematography and a fresh and original approach to the survival horror genre. If it wasn't for the total cop-out ending, it might have been a great pic.

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch

March 15th, 2012, 15:32
Moon - Good Sci-fi flick. Kinda hard to describe without being spoilerish, but I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes the genre.

Monsters - Very low budget movie but surprisingly good. It's about a man and a woman trying to cross an "infected zone" in Mexico after a deep-space probe crashed in that area and brought alien life back with it. The film is more about the characters than the monsters, and the acting was better than I expected.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 16th, 2012, 14:03
Rewatching Sealab 2021 (tv series). Hilarious show

vurt

Serial Modderer

March 16th, 2012, 15:51
Conan the Barbarian (2011)

Yeah I know… why bother, right? I was bored last night and just wanted to watch something with some fantasy-themed combat.

It actually wasn't as bad I was expecting though, and I enjoyed the first half quite a bit. It really fell apart in the second half though, and the final 1/4 was complete crap.

Arnold Schwarzenegger would beat Jason Momoa like a rented mule.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 19th, 2012, 15:33
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Conan the Barbarian (2011)

Yeah I know… why bother, right? I was bored last night and just wanted to watch something with some fantasy-themed combat.

It actually wasn't as bad I was expecting though, and I enjoyed the first half quite a bit. It really fell apart in the second half though, and the final 1/4 was complete crap.

Arnold Schwarzenegger would beat Jason Momoa like a rented mule.
I tried to warn you about it

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch

March 19th, 2012, 17:12
Full trailer for Prometheus has finally been released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature…&v=HHcHYisZFLU

I haven't anticipated a movie this much in a long, long time.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 21st, 2012, 17:19
Yeah Prometheus looks great indeed, is it decided yet if it's PG13 or not (or both)? Havent followed that discussion in a while.

vurt

Serial Modderer

March 21st, 2012, 17:48
Definitely looks good. I may be tempted to go to an actual theater to see it. I'll have to read the reviews first, though…

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

March 21st, 2012, 19:49
I don't like how revealing those trailers are. I still doubt Ridley can get anywhere near Alien - but I'm definitely seeing this in the theater.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

March 21st, 2012, 22:31
Ridley's robin hood was absolutely terrible, but whatever, i'm definitely seeing this in the theater, PG13 or not..

Been watching Fleischer's Superman cartoons from the 40's. I was afraid it would just be a bit of nostalgia, but wow, incredible craftmanship and extremely charming and feel-good to watch

vurt

Serial Modderer

March 21st, 2012, 22:38
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
Yeah Prometheus looks great indeed, is it decided yet if it's PG13 or not (or both)? Havent followed that discussion in a while.
Looks like there will be both PG13 and R rated cuts.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli…_of_prometheus (Warning- some mild spoilers).

Unfortunately, what that means is that we're probably going to have to wait for the DVD/Blu-ray releases to see the entire thing.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 21st, 2012, 23:18
Yeah, hopefully it will be so good that it's worth a rewatch, and in that case it's nice to have the "full" release to look forward to.

vurt

Serial Modderer

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread