|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Elder Scrolls » The Elder Scrolls I - IV » Morrowind Mods

Default Morrowind Mods

August 2nd, 2007, 22:50
Ok. I have a copy of Morrowind and the expansions but I've never been able to get very far into the game. There's a lot of promise there but whether it's the awkward combat handling, wiki-style dialogue with countless identical NPCs or just hideous character models, I don't know, but I've never been able to stay interested.

But, I want to give it yet another try. Each time I do try I get a bit further, so who knows, maybe this time it'll hook me.

Thus, I'm looking for info on mods for the game. There are about a bajillion of them out there and I haven't the faintest idea what's good, what's crap and what's just un-necessary. I also seem to be unable to make them work (last time I tried playing, any mods I installed didn't actually seem to do what they were advertised as doing).

So, I'm asking you folks, the people who know what you're talking about, who don't like munchkinised hack and slash drudgery, who like good, in-depth RPGing.
I want something that makes characters look better (shut up Roqua ) , I like to play in 3rd person view. If there's something that improves NPCs in any way and livens up the world I'm very interested. Those are the main criteria. Anything else that adds to the feel and depth of the game would be great, too. I find the gameworld looks just great as it is, and I don't need all sorts of weapon mods or such. I don't need a lot of mods, the fewer there are means the less potential for conflicts and stuff breaking I figure.

Also, some clear instructions on how to install and activate these mods would be most welcome (as I said, last time I attempted this they didn't seem to work).

Thanks!

You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views, which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

Gallifrey

Keeper Of Traken

August 3rd, 2007, 12:45
Originally Posted by Gallifrey View Post
Ok. I have a copy of Morrowind and the expansions but I've never been able to get very far into the game. There's a lot of promise there but whether it's the awkward combat handling, wiki-style dialogue with countless identical NPCs or just hideous character models, I don't know, but I've never been able to stay interested.
I have the same problem! And I'm very interested if this game could be better with mods. So I add my signature for this petition .

"Eternal Trust Survives The Soul"
Last edited by Artran; August 3rd, 2007 at 13:57.

Artran

Watcher

August 3rd, 2007, 18:42
I play the game in first person when talking to others only, the rest of the game I pretty much play third person, so there should be no problem switching out to third for you. I dont know about mods, since Ive played vanilla except for a couple personal tweaks here and there, but I think next time I install I'm going to try out some mods. So, I'd like to see a grand MW mod thread too, even tho I'm sure this has been done before in one topic or another, or maybe that was at the 'Dot.

Installation is really no big deal, you just throw the file in a folder and put a check next to the ones that you want to use when you play when you fire the game up. It's very user friendly imo

I wrote a little guide/tips thing back at the 'Dot that might have some things that would help you out.

And combat can be fun if you learn the different swings and use some jumps and stuff!

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

August 3rd, 2007, 19:02
Originally Posted by Gallifrey View Post
If there's something that improves NPCs in any way and livens up the world I'm very interested. Those are the main criteria.
The best mod I've found for that is Morrowind Comes Alive. It goes a long way toward livening up the place.

You're probably already aware of this, but there are a couple of things you should know about Morrowind mods:

Don't just follow the installation instructions in the readme. Familiarize yourself with the process, and install them using common sense (it's not very difficult). Be sure you're downloading the latest versions. Some sites seem current, but some of their files are old. Planetelderscrolls is your best bet, IMO.

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits

August 3rd, 2007, 19:07
The Better Bodies mod is pretty much canon: http://www.psychodogstudios.com/betterbodies.

Otherwise there's a very comprehensive list here: http://www.mwmythicmods.com/telesphoros.htm.

As a side note I consider it very annoying to install mods. You have to copy+paste all the files of a mod to their appropriate folder, subfolder and perhaps even subfolder again. If only a couple then yes, but if you plan on installing +20 mods then it can become a bit tiresome.

Steam | Google

Asbjoern

N'wah

August 3rd, 2007, 20:01
I always play with the better signposts mod..

rooroosta

Watchdog

August 3rd, 2007, 23:52
Thanks for the suggestions! That Better Bodies mod looks fantastic, and Morrowind Comes Alive seems just the thing needed.
The MythicMods list is overwhelming!

You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views, which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

Gallifrey

Keeper Of Traken

August 4th, 2007, 00:04
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
The best mod I've found for that is Morrowind Comes Alive.

Does this mod add Peter Frampton to the game??

Icefire

Sentinel
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

August 4th, 2007, 00:22
Originally Posted by Icefire View Post
Does this mod add Peter Frampton to the game??
Hehe…I don't actually know for sure that it doesn't! It adds thousands of NPCs, so…maybe! No sign of him yet in my game, though.

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits

August 4th, 2007, 03:00
I'd say just play it without any mods It's an excellent game.
But then again.. I loved the game from the moment I climbed that lighthouse
in seyda neen and was beginning to slowly realize what I was actually getting into…
(MW was my first TES)
Also, I have this.. thing.. (yes, I do have a lot of these.. things) against anything that makes the game.. well.. unofficial. I can't stand mods!
The unofficial fixpaks for BG & BG2 were great tho. But they did not mod.. they only fixed.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

August 4th, 2007, 10:01
Is there any mod for turnbased combat?

"Eternal Trust Survives The Soul"

Artran

Watcher

August 4th, 2007, 12:22
Mods are the only thing that makes modern Games enjoyable for me

The Germans are a cruel race. Their operas last for six hours and they have no word for "fluffy".

Captain Blackadder

Fenris

Proto-Nerd

August 4th, 2007, 12:22
I can't play without better Bodies, better Heads, and the mods that gives you female (but non-skimpy) versions of the armor. This changes nothing to the game exept visually, but I personally believe it is a change for the better.

I also use a lot of graphics replacers, but I wouldn't advice that for a first playthrough, because a lot of them change the look of the cities dramatically and the game looks awesome itself

I wouldn't advice Morrowind Comes alive for a first playthrough either, since it adds a lot of creatures and NPC, and makes the game harder. Get used to the game itself first

Oh, and if you are planning on playing an archer I would advice to download the (ree) official mod that gives you enchanted arrors, this re\lly should have been included in the game and helps archers out a lot.

Personally I use hundreds of mods, most of them adding armor,clothing, new hairstyles and faces and housing.
I also use NOM (Nesseceties of Morrowind) which forces the character to eat, drink and sleep every day or else you'll suffer penalties and after a few days without food and water, you die. But again, that is a mod to try later on. Make sure it always loads last in the list.

But for the start I would just stick with a few mods that look appealing if I were you.
Mods in morrowind can be difficult to get to work together, if they work they are wonderful, but if they don't, the game crashes a lot. This has quite often not so much to do with the mod itself as with things like load order.
Read this if you want to use a lot of mods together: http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/in…owtopic=106063
The people in the mod forum in general are very friendly, and always willing to help out if you hgave problems.

Oh, and shameless self-advertising: http://homepage.eircom.net/~cotnfan/
Last edited by Sorcha Ravenlock; August 4th, 2007 at 12:24. Reason: typo

Sorcha Ravenlock

Sentinel

August 4th, 2007, 12:23
Originally Posted by Artran View Post
Is there any mod for turnbased combat?
oh, forgot to answer this one:

no. I've never heard of it anyway…

Sorcha Ravenlock

Sentinel

August 4th, 2007, 13:31
Great advice, Sorcha, thanks!
I'll keep in mind your comments on the Comes Alive mod. But what irks me about MW is how empty this massive world feels.
That Necessities mod does intrigue me, I like survival elements in my RPGs, but I also like it if my chosen skills have an effect there. If survival aspects are present, I like to make the sort of character that can work with that.. it's irritating if my wilderness ranger, for example, is as prone to starvation and exposure as a library-dwelling mage.

Your mods look great too, particularly the slightly larger bodies, the difference in appearance is impressive!

And I'll definitely try to find that archer mod.

Gallifrey

Keeper Of Traken

August 4th, 2007, 14:01
Originally Posted by Sorcha Ravenlock View Post
Hahaha those "girly staffs"… whatcha doin' with those eh?

Seriously, excellent advice all around in this thread. I did play the original Morrowind a little bit back when it came out but never got around to playing the expansions so I recently got the GOTY edition which I'm hoping to get into soon-ish. Thanks everyone!

Moriendor

Spielkind

August 4th, 2007, 15:16
I searched a bit around for you…

Here's Necessities of Morrowind:
http://www.tadnan-hideout.com/MW/main.html

area effect arrows:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/download…es_plugins.htm
(The Bitter Coast Sounds plugin is also good)

Female versions of the armors:
http://jw_mcguinn.rethan-manor.net/page4.htm

I'm using this head replacer at the moment:
http://www.elricm.com/nuke/html/modu…tails&lid=3674

As Rooroosta says, readable sign posts are also very usefull
http://chalice.planetelderscrolls.ga…ew-signs.shtml

Hehe, I just started a new character in Morrowind myself, after all this talking about the game… it's my favorite game

Sorcha Ravenlock

Sentinel

August 4th, 2007, 19:10
Originally Posted by Sorcha Ravenlock View Post
Whoa. Pretty cool stuff. I've never really browsed mods before cause im not really
into mods but thats pretty impressive stuff. I could actually try some of that stuff that only enhances the game cosmetically but does not affect the gameplay in anyway. I could do that? right? better graphics without altering the gameplay rules/mechanics?

And I AM going to play morrowind again.. and again.. and again..
I absolutely love the game. Easily the best game made in 2000's.

Girly staffs… you're a dirty, dirty person!

Zakhary

Noble Savage

August 4th, 2007, 19:54
Mods make Morrowind a wonderful game..vanilla Morrowind is great but the mods add that little extra sparkle.

rooroosta

Watchdog

August 4th, 2007, 20:24
Originally Posted by Zakhary View Post
I could do that? right? better graphics without altering the gameplay rules/mechanics?
Yes, you can indeed. Just use graphic replacers and headpacks and the like. It just updates (or in certain cases, completely changes) the look of the game, making it look fresh and new and up to date without changing the gameplay.

Thelesporos has a great list of mods with links to them: http://www.mwmythicmods.com/telesphoros.htm#34

Sorcha Ravenlock

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Elder Scrolls » The Elder Scrolls I - IV » Morrowind Mods