Dark Souls II - Console Face-Off

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here is something that might be interesting for console players; Eurogamer compares how Dark Souls 2 runs on Xbox 360 and PS3, without being able to declare a winner.

Out with the old and in with the new, Dark Souls 2 offers up the biggest technical overhaul to the series so far. With a new directorial team at the helm and a purpose-built engine bringing the eerie world of Drangleic to life, developer From Software uses the opportunity to trial new rendering techniques on PS3 and 360 in advance of their appearance on next-gen platforms. But while we're left with a string of upgrades in physics, lighting and effects, there are also some cutbacks we hadn't expected to see.

Straight away we can pinpoint a clear technical advance in Dark Souls 2's resolution of choice, where it's now a full native 1280x720 on both PS3 and 360. On paper this should count as a massive boon to its presentation, but in practice the boosted pixel count only faintly improves image clarity over the original Dark Souls' 1024x720 frame-buffer. A reliance on a post-process edge filter is to blame: it's an effective aliasing-killer, but many highlights in texture-work and alpha effects are dulled, and on both Sony and Microsoft platforms alike the game produces a softer image than we'd hoped. Nevertheless, it's an improvement - and a positive start as we venture deeper into a game world that promises to be the team's largest yet.
More information.

I'm more interested into logic design as I'm not really interested into eyecandy.
Things like... Do enemies respawn in this sequel too?

I wouldn't know. I've rounded up some reviews though, but there were so many that I didn't bother to read any of them yet. I'm sure the info is in at least one of them :)

No Vsync in the 360 version makes the PS3 an easy choice for me. I'll check out the PC version as well, but my expectations aren't very high.

I'm more interested into logic design as I'm not really interested into eyecandy.
Things like… Do enemies respawn in this sequel too?

Enemies actually stop respawning after being killed a "few" times, from what reviews say. So the good/bad news is now enemy farming is gone, it sounds like.

Anyway, all this console talk; DS2 must be played on PC so you can actually see all the amazing art in proper resolution. I'm really glad they already announced at least 60 FPS too; it is amazing how much more FAIR combat is at 60 FPS, since you have literally twice the visual data per second to respond to.

So yeah, DS2 is a must-get on PC.

Back
Top Bottom