|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Xenonauts - Almost Finished For Release

Default Xenonauts - Almost Finished For Release

March 14th, 2014, 09:17
After countless delays the developers of Xenonauts announce in a new forum post the game is entering the "Polishing" phase. Basically it means the game is almost done.
Entering "Polishing" phase!

Today Giovanni put in the updated victory / loss screens, and the artist is working on the final artwork for these (they currently use draft versions of it). Aaron and I also finished designing the unique tiles and the layout work on the final mission; this is just awaiting final balance and the 2D paintovers of the existing art / floor. Xenonauts is now nearly complete, and theoretically at that point we could kick it out of the door whenever we wanted.

However, "complete" is not the same as "finished". I'm aware there is still work to be done on usability, balance, optimisation and stability. That will all take place during the polishing phase, which will last until we're happy with the final quality of the game.

V21 Stable will mark us entering the polishing phase, and we'll be changing our development methodology a little:
  • We will completely reset our bug trackers, and ask people to report any issue they experience with the game no matter how small or how many times it may have been reported in the past.
  • We will be setting up a public issue tracker, which will list and prioritise all bugs / issues that are on our radar (only we will be able to add issues to this).
  • The Beta Discussion, Community Involvement and Suggestions forums will be merged into a Balance Discussion forum, as they'll overlap quite heavily.
  • We will remove the Experimental bug reporting forums.
  • We'll also be starting to get the Kickstarter rewards printed up!

We're hoping that these changes will make everything a bit more efficient, removing some of the repetition from bug reporting and stopping important / annoying issues from falling between the cracks. We're almost certainly not going to be able to fix all of the issues on our public tracker, but the added visibility should help the feedback process greatly.

I may start doing the forum changes shortly, so don't be too alarmed when sub-forums start vanishing!
More information.
Last edited by Couchpotato; March 14th, 2014 at 10:42.

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

March 14th, 2014, 09:17
there is still work to be done on usability, balance, optimisation and stability. That will all take place during the polishing phase, which will last until we're happy
Lets hope it won't be another 5 years. They were hammering on this since 2009..

mercy

Sentinel

March 14th, 2014, 17:45
I was gonna say, so, it'll be out next year then? Seems like this game has been in development forever.

Voqar

PC Gaming Snob

March 14th, 2014, 18:41
It sure does seem like it has been quite a while for this, and it's still not even close to being done. I'm sure looking forward to playing it at some point.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

March 14th, 2014, 19:47
Looking forward to playing it in 2017

Yme

Sentinel

March 15th, 2014, 17:46
It's true that the game has been in development for a long time. It's also true that steady progress on all fronts has been plainly visible (and playable) every step of the way. Judging from their work in the past, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's out this year.

my novel: bit.ly/dreamlandsbook

screeg

floating head

March 16th, 2014, 00:14
It's not clear is it on Mac? Seems not seeing the FAQ but Desura seems wrong about this. At reverse Steam is very clear, Windows only.

The problem now is how many years will take a Mac port. :-)

Ihaterpg

Banned

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Xenonauts - Almost Finished For Release