|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Age of Wonders 3 - Introducing The Theocrat

Default Age of Wonders 3 - Introducing The Theocrat

March 15th, 2014, 09:39
Triumph Studios has a new development update for Age of Wonders 3 that reveals the next hero class called The Theocrat. They even included a new video.



A radiant sun shines over Triumph Studios today, a perfect moment to reveal the long-expected Theocrat Class with another 19 minute long game play video, once again narrated by Tombles. In this video he finally gets his chance to convert you to Goblindom as he roams the lands with his Goblin Theocrat, spreading the good word, and bringing light to the blighted lands. Watch as his army fearlessly engages the heretic Sorcerer hordes in her own backyard, scaling the walls of her city and showing just how powerful those on the righteous path of the Theocrat can be.

“Theocrats lead the masses by their hearts. They heal, persuade, minister and convert. Their zealots are fiercely loyal, convinced that any action they perform will earn them a greater reward in the afterlife. Because Theocrats tend not to wield many directly offensive powers, it is tempting to believe Theocrats pose no threat. History has proven this to be foolishness. Many earthly kingdoms have fallen under relentless crusades where holy armies of martyrs, evangelists, templar knights, war shrines and angelic beings bring Armageddon to pagan lands.”“Gifted Lords of the Third Age” by Ralinstone Pedant, Chronicler

For more information about the Theocrat Class, check the class page.
More information.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 8,759

Default 

March 15th, 2014, 09:39
Day One purchase for me.
Michael Dean is offline

Michael Dean

Watcher

#2

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 98

Default 

March 15th, 2014, 12:28
Tombles's let's play are always entertaining.

and religious goblins are a strange sight.
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#3

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,414

Default 

March 15th, 2014, 18:54
I enjoy their vids not only for showing off the awesome of the game but the guy who does them is amusing.

Originally Posted by Michael Dean View Post
Day One purchase for me.
Same. Well, probably pre purchase but there's no particular rush.

Game looks better and better all the time. Quill's let's play on it has lots of goodness to see as well (man am I getting progressively more jealous of Quill and some youtubers who get weeks of early access to these games, he has Warlock 2 as well…).
Voqar is offline

Voqar

PC Gaming Snob

#4

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 159

Default 

March 16th, 2014, 05:27
Already pre-ordered. This guy does do nice videos. And I think it was Quill who did the videos that convinced me to buy Banished, which turns out to be a nice little game.
Capt. Huggy Face is offline

Capt. Huggy Face

Capt. Huggy Face's Avatar
Magicky Utok

#5

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 962

Default 

March 16th, 2014, 09:04
After watching the vid, the same question rises up again and over again: why do people keep selling the sequence "UGOIGO" as a miracle for tactics?
Where are tactics displayed in this video sequence? Can a supporter of the claim tell?

So little unit synergy, so little unit coordination, control of space is absent, positional play is absent etc

The next step is that using a screwdriver to drive screws is tactics because in this vid, that is what is shown: use of an adapted solution to a case.
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#6

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,012

Default 

March 16th, 2014, 11:01
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
After watching the vid, the same question rises up again and over again: why do people keep selling the sequence "UGOIGO" as a miracle for tactics?
Where are tactics displayed in this video sequence? Can a supporter of the claim tell?

So little unit synergy, so little unit coordination, control of space is absent, positional play is absent etc
Can you give examples of games you think have "good" tactics? Kings Bounty? X-com? XCOM? FO:T? Or are those all bad because of UGOIGO that you keep complaining about?
tomasp3n is offline

tomasp3n

tomasp3n's Avatar
Watchamacallit?

#7

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 584

Default 

March 16th, 2014, 12:42
Arent the "" used for quotation? Reading my post again, I can find no mention of "good tactics".
So, I cant give a game that has "good tactics" because that mean tactics that are good and it implies that they are tactics beside being good.

Watching the video, tactics, where? What is supposed to be called tactics?
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#8

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,012

Default 

March 16th, 2014, 12:54
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
Arent the "" used for quotation? Reading my post again, I can find no mention of "good tactics".
So, I cant give a game that has "good tactics" because that mean tactics that are good and it implies that they are tactics beside being good.

Watching the video, tactics, where? What is supposed to be called tactics?
I didn't mean to insult you or misinterpret your post, I'm not even saying I disagree with your statement. The quotation marks was because the word good is most times a subjective opinion and not actual facts. Let me restate my question.

What games, if any, do you find to have any tactics or even tactical depth? I'm honestly just curious.

EDIT: I just reread my last post and realised I did come off as pretty offensive. I apologize, that was not my intent.
tomasp3n is offline

tomasp3n

tomasp3n's Avatar
Watchamacallit?

#9

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 584

Default 

March 17th, 2014, 13:15
i hate to say it, but i have to agree with dog announcer. actually… to a point. certainly, the whole rpg tactics game genre are really more like weak math puzzles than anything to do with battle strategy. but, just as rpg video games aren't really role-playing, it seems a little bit of a stretch to criticize one member of a well-established genre. it's not to your taste, fine, but it's a tactics rpg because that's what these games are called now. gran turismo 5 is so far from a proam racing simulation, it better belongs in the same genre as… RC pro-am (slightly better graphics). but what are ya gonna do?
qpqpqp is offline

qpqpqp

Watcher

#10

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 85

Default 

March 17th, 2014, 14:20
Originally Posted by qpqpqp View Post
certainly, the whole rpg tactics game genre are really more like weak math puzzles than anything to do with battle strategy.
Is there a single computer strategy game that isn't a math puzzle???
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#11

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,414

Default 

March 17th, 2014, 14:22
Company of Heroes is a great example of a game that approximates real warfare relatively convincingly.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#12

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 13,910

Default 

March 17th, 2014, 16:27
So is Total War series.
zahratustra is online now

zahratustra

SasqWatch

#13

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,249

Default 

March 18th, 2014, 08:50
Originally Posted by tomasp3n View Post

What games, if any, do you find to have any tactics or even tactical depth? I'm honestly just curious.
Not the topic. There could be no other game beside that one and this wont change the question: what is seen in the video that call for being characterized as tactics?

Nevertheless, games including tactics are plenty

-FPS (Counter Strike, SWAT4, many more)
-Total War series
-even a game like Survivor Squad have tactics in it.

Originally Posted by qpqpqp View Post
but what are ya gonna do?
All cultures not being equal, why not:
-write to your lawyer
or
-phone your senator
or
-petition your government
or
-vote with your dollar
or
-grab your gun and stand your ground
or
-play games that include tactics?
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#14

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,012

Default 

March 18th, 2014, 17:07
Alright, thanks Chien. I do love Total War, I just hope they'll announce Warhammer:Total War soon. OT: I put alot of hours into AoW2 but I can't really call it one of my favourites. Will probably buy this somewhere down the line though.
tomasp3n is offline

tomasp3n

tomasp3n's Avatar
Watchamacallit?

#15

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 584

Default 

April 3rd, 2014, 10:12
Originally Posted by tomasp3n View Post
Can you give examples of games you think have "good" tactics? Kings Bounty? X-com? XCOM? FO:T? Or are those all bad because of UGOIGO that you keep complaining about?

Another set of games that include tactics. Both are RPGs, indie projects and were not reported by this site, I think.

Running with rifles:
http://www.modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/

The next massive update coming soon will introduce trench warfare tactics vs open warfare tactics.

Rimworld:
http://rimworldgame.com
The next big update will introduce allied/enemy tactics.
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#16

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,012
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Age of Wonders 3 - Introducing The Theocrat
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:35.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch