|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Pillars of Eternity - Post-Funding Update #74

Default Pillars of Eternity - Post-Funding Update #74

March 19th, 2014, 04:07
The lastest post-funding update for Pillars of Eternity was posted on the games website with information on a new publisher deal, and talks about Wizards & Druids.

Thanks for sending in the link purpleblob, and make sure the rest of you read the full update for more information. Here is the video part with Josh Sawyer.

Partnership

A few minutes ago, Obsidian made an important announcement about a new partnership with Paradox Interactive for Pillars of Eternity. We wanted to give some information to our backers to give you a full understanding of what this partnership means and to let you know that nothing has or will change when it comes to the making of Eternity. Pillars of Eternity is still our product, we're making 100% of the development decisions, and we will still be communicating directly with you every chance we get.

So, you are probably asking, why are we doing this? Obsidian is really good at making games. Everyone here is focused on that goal every day and we are heavily invested in our work. That said, Obsidian's focus is in creating games and not in marketing and distributing them. It takes a lot of time and effort to do those things properly - time and effort we want to use to make Eternity the best game it can be. We chose to partner with Paradox because they can help us with those things and really believe in PC games in particular. This lets us spend 100% of our time (and your money) towards making Eternity great. Every dollar you have given us will to go into making the game.

We have setup a FAQ on our forums that will go over any questions you may have about what this partnership means for Pillars of Eternity. Please take a look and let us know if you have any other questions. And now, on to the magic of the mob rulers!
More information.

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

March 19th, 2014, 04:07
Paradox as publisher. Meh. It could been worse.

Sumerisle

Watcher

March 19th, 2014, 05:36
Originally Posted by Sumerisle View Post
Paradox as publisher. Meh. It could been worse.
I don't see the problem as Paradox is not a bad a choice. They will handle the marketing and distribution. It will allow Obsidian to focus on the game.

Anyway I can also think of a few worse publishers myself.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

March 19th, 2014, 05:39
They are distributing for some other kickstarters so I don't see a problem especially since they have no say in the development of the projects.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

March 19th, 2014, 08:02
Okay. Not the biggest deal, but: kind of weird, maybe?

RedSocialKnight

the stronger, slower one

March 19th, 2014, 14:20
Weird?

No, I actually expected them to partner up with someone (now they don't have to deal with all the legal aspect) and Paradox is among the best choice for both Europe and NA market.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

March 19th, 2014, 14:58
They aren't the ones big KS with publisher contracts for retail distribuition, inXile made a contract with Deep Silver to distribute Wasteland 2 and probably Torment too, Larian is using a publisher for Divinity: Original Sin

gandalf.nho

Huntress

March 19th, 2014, 15:43
There is no controversy here Obsidian still has complete creative control over the game, and the publisher is just handling marketing stuff! I prefer this because it lets Obsidian focus their time and money on the game itself.

Twitter: @TravisAC85

GuybrushWilco

Pirate Janitor

March 19th, 2014, 16:10
Nobody is talking about the Druids and Wizards! (I finally had the time to read the rest of the update, busy morning at work)

I love how the gameplay mechanics are tied to lore. That's the right way to do it in my book. I can also see a lots of renamed/inspired D&D spells in there (not complaining).

Wizards can nasty (from the video, they can steal spells from enemy spellcaster grimoires with…a spell, lol). Beside that it's a rather D&D class.

Druids sound awesome (spirit-stag!), now the question is how good those spells are going to looks like. Might play one just to use overwhelming wave and Garden of Life.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

March 19th, 2014, 20:31
I have read that a pledgers vote has moved the game from real time with pause combats to turn based combats.

I would tend prefer TB but they shouldn't' have submit it to vote, it's good that some games other than made by Bioware are real time with pause during combats.

Ihaterpg

Banned

March 19th, 2014, 20:48
Originally Posted by Ihaterpg View Post
I have read that a pledgers vote has moved the game from real time with pause combats to turn based combats.

I would tend prefer TB but they shouldn't' have submit it to vote, it's good that some games other than made by Bioware are real time with pause during combats.
Really because this was posted in the forums today as a response to that question.
Like the Infinity Engine games, Project Eternity will support auto-pause features that allow players to establish conditions under which the game will automatically pause (e.g., if a party member becomes unconscious). It will also feature a slow combat toggle that can be used with or in lieu of the pause feature. In slow combat, players can manage the flow of combat without needing to halt the game entirely.
So no it's not going to be a turn-based game. I think you have this game confused with Torment: Tides of Numenera as they already had the vote about Turn-based combat.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

Last edited by Couchpotato; March 19th, 2014 at 21:15.

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

March 19th, 2014, 23:53
Originally Posted by Ihaterpg View Post

You're thinking of a different game; PoE is still RTwP.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

March 20th, 2014, 09:18
Hmm, good to know. I had fallen out of sync with PoE info, so this was good information. I think they are trying to answer the concerns as much as possible here… Good to see, really.

Chellanthe

Traveler

March 20th, 2014, 13:12
Those are some nice portraits.

Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian

March 20th, 2014, 22:44
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
You're thinking of a different game; PoE is still RTwP.
Right it was Torment or some other Kickstarter.

Ihaterpg

Banned

March 21st, 2014, 00:54
Here are some of the answers and questions from the AMA on the games forum I posted yesterday. It should answer many of the problems backers have.

Spoiler – Q&A Answers

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

March 21st, 2014, 04:51
Sweet! Didn't know that they were releasing on GOG as well. I'm hoping that us backers that are getting the boxes will also get a way to get a GOG copy as well. That would definitely be nice.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Pillars of Eternity - Post-Funding Update #74