|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Armored Warfare- Obsidian's New F2P Game

Default Armored Warfare- Obsidian's New F2P Game

March 20th, 2014, 06:37
Yes the title says it all Obsidian's new game that was announced at GDC 2014 is not an RPG, but a F2P game called Armored Warfare. I'm very disappointed right now.

Link- http://aw.my.com/

Announcing Armored Warfare

We’re thrilled to announce Armored Warfare, a new free-to-play massively multiplayer online tactical military video game that puts you in control of some of the most incredible, modern destructive machines to grace a battlefield. Drive modern tanks, armored vehicles and more.

Ammo and Steel

In Armored Warfare, you will find yourself behind the treads of the most modern mechanized destructive machines on the planet. From general purpose combat vehicles, to main battle tanks, and even long-range high-powered artillery, it will be up to you to defeat your enemies and control the battlefield.

Command and Control

Armored Warfare isn’t just about putting you in charge of operating, you’ll also be responsible for upgrading and maintaining these vehicles. As you work your way through the many fields of battle you will encounter, you’ll gain knowledge and experience that will help you make intelligent choices before each battle.
Thanks for the link purpleblob, but I wont be posting this on the front page.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

March 20th, 2014, 09:25
It's so…….surprising. This will be the first Obsidian game I don't care about.

Yme

Sentinel

March 20th, 2014, 09:28
WTF ?! That came completely out of the blue
(Isn't it weird that there is no obsidian logo on the site ? )
Last edited by JonNik; March 20th, 2014 at 10:19.

JonNik

SasqWatch

March 20th, 2014, 11:40
I can only hope PoE is going to be good

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

March 20th, 2014, 11:51
Seriously!

Well anyway Bioware had their roots in a mech simulator, so maybe Obsidian will use (sorry re-cycle) their ideas into other genres!

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

March 20th, 2014, 11:55
I was visiting the Obsidian portal today and noticed this as well. Shocking to be honest. Talk about branching out - this is a completely different tree!

I have no idea whether they'll pull it off or not. I would be surprised if they did, as this is the kind of game where gameplay, polish and balancing is important. Story and characters, the speciality of Obsidian, doesn't mean much. Time will tell I guess.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

March 20th, 2014, 11:57
Tree? More like a noxious puddle

Will be interesting to see what kind of response this stirs at large….
(Checks again. Nope still not April 1st )

JonNik

SasqWatch

March 20th, 2014, 11:58
I'm relatively open to new ideas - but this is almost worse than South Park when it comes to my personal interest

I liked World of Tanks for an hour or two - until the grindy nature became all too apparent.

Maybe if they manage to make it really tactical and don't exploit the F2P model like 99.9% of developers, it could be decent enough.

Doubt it, though.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

March 20th, 2014, 12:07
So Obsidian also went into free2scam waters.
When you see how much cash bloody cheaters' paradise Maple Story earns daily, CEOs can't resist becoming scammers.

I'm not playing nor paying anything in whatever crap they made. Unless it's MOBA where you can't win by paying. And I bet it's not.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

March 20th, 2014, 12:27
Oh, just another multiplayer shooter ?

Meta thinking, the more games are made for a specific target group … Doesn't that mean that this target group then also holds a lot of power ? Because firms battle each other to get their attention … And in this case it would be multiplayer shooter players … But maybe I'm just paranoid …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 20th, 2014, 12:48
This is unexpected. Well the tank game part, not the F2P one (I expected Obsidian to try at least once, all studios do it).

So who is the military fanatic at Obsidian? You need one to make something like this, unless it was a contract.

And going by one of the logo at the end of the trailer this use CryEngine…

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

March 20th, 2014, 13:12
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Oh, just another multiplayer shooter ?

Meta thinking, the more games are made for a specific target group … Doesn't that mean that this target group then also holds a lot of power ? Because firms battle each other to get their attention … And in this case it would be multiplayer shooter players … But maybe I'm just paranoid …
I wouldn't call a tank game a 'shooter'. Sure, you shoot things but it's not the same. It's MUCH slower paced as you're driving a tank, and the turret/cannon doesn't move at the speed of your mouse. I think you're thinking more of games like Battlefield or Medal of Honor, which are indeed shooters in which you can hop in a tank for a bit.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

March 20th, 2014, 13:12
Well, to me, World of Tanks is a simplistic and slow-paced shooter. Nothing more, nothing less.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

March 20th, 2014, 13:37
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
And going by one of the logo at the end of the trailer this use CryEngine…
As far as I know, it actually uses CryEngine. Not bad.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

March 20th, 2014, 13:41
A MP-only game? Second Obsidian game eliminated from my 'must buy' list (the first is South Park)

gandalf.nho

Huntress

March 20th, 2014, 13:50
3rd one actually. They are also collaborating for some free to play MMO with some Russian publisher.

Their RPG stuff better be good from now on if they need 3 unrelated projects to pay the bills.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

March 20th, 2014, 15:19
Very disappointing actually.

If this is what it takes to gain financial stability, then so be it…as long as it doesn't negatively influence the "RPG branch".

Asdraguuhl

Sentinel

March 20th, 2014, 15:24
I honestly don't get the draw of these games at all….not a single player game, not an mmo…..it's just a big steaming pile that I'd never install on my pc, let alone play. I mean, I grew up on squad type games and such, but this doesn't seem anything like those at all….and quite disappointing to see from Obsidian. After South Park and now this, they are quickly flying off my radar.

Carnifex

Keeper of the Watch

March 20th, 2014, 23:05
Here is the press release with more information.

Spoiler – Press Release

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

March 21st, 2014, 01:38
I bet this project is funding the extra time they needed to develop project eternity.

This isn't a game for rpg audience, but I hope this allows them to stay independent and keep making more eternity type games

Dez

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Armored Warfare- Obsidian's New F2P Game