|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Games Reviews & Comments » Shadowrun Returns

Default Shadowrun Returns

September 12th, 2014, 07:07
What is Shadowrun Returns?

MAN MEETS MAGIC & MACHINE.

The year is 2054. Magic has returned to the world, awakening powerful creatures of myth and legend. Technology merges with flesh and consciousness. Elves, trolls, orks and dwarves walk among us, while ruthless corporations bleed the world dry. You are a shadowrunner – a mercenary living on the fringes of society, in the shadows of massive corporate arcologies, surviving day-by-day on skill and instinct alone. When the powerful or the desperate need a job done, you get it done… by any means necessary.

The unique cyberpunk-meets-fantasy world of Shadowrun has gained a huge cult following since its creation nearly 25 years ago. Now, creator Jordan Weisman returns to the world of Shadowrun, modernizing this classic game setting as a single player, turn-based tactical RPG.

More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

September 12th, 2014, 07:07
If for some reason someone here doesn't own Shadowrun Returns yet, it is currently on sale at the Humble store for $4.99 for the next 10 days: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p…rns_storefront

daveyd

Sentinel

September 12th, 2014, 17:58
That is dirt cheap for hours of entertainment. I'm hoping for a sequel at some point.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

September 15th, 2014, 23:56
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
That is dirt cheap for hours of entertainment. I'm hoping for a sequel at some point.
Yeah, me too. Every time someone asks Jordan, Mitch, or anyone from HBS about future Shadowrun games they say they'd love to do them as long as they can so that's encouraging. I really hope the Director's Cut pays of for them.

If they take the improvements they made to the game with the Dragonfall DC and make a new campaign in a different city (or previously unexplored parts of Seattle) I'd be very happy. Would be amazing if they could add astral space and perhaps a more fully developed stealth system.

daveyd

Sentinel

September 16th, 2014, 09:54
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
Would be amazing if they could add astral space and perhaps a more fully developed stealth system.
I'd settle for having full control over all the members in your party. I'd like to be able to control everyone outside of combat and spend their karma points at level-up.

JDR13

SasqWatch

September 17th, 2014, 23:05
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'd settle for having full control over all the members in your party. I'd like to be able to control everyone outside of combat and spend their karma points at level-up.
Yeah, I'm sort of a min-maxer myself and enjoy leveling up and equipping my party members in party based RPGs, so I certainly wouldn't mind the option. "Damnit Dietrich why are you wasting Karma on Throwing Weapons skill, you're a mage / shaman!"

However, it seems that HBS is philosophically opposed to giving players complete control over this- they still want to it to feel like the party members are "real" people, with their own agendas, personalities, and style. I do think the changes they're making in Director's Cut are a nice compromise (you can determine which special ability they learn and influence what weapon type they specialize in).

daveyd

Sentinel

September 18th, 2014, 07:12
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
If for some reason someone here doesn't own Shadowrun Returns yet, it is currently on sale at the Humble store for $4.99 for the next 10 days: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p…rns_storefront

I snapped mine up from Steam for about that. I was well pleased.

human_male

Math and girls is hard.

September 18th, 2014, 23:14
Originally Posted by human_male View Post
I snapped mine up from Steam for about that. I was well pleased.
Just noticed it's now on Steam for $3.74 for the next 21hrs. http://store.steampowered.com/app/234650/

daveyd

Sentinel

September 19th, 2014, 04:51
Hmmm….just noticed that the director's version is a separate game from the regular Shadowrun Returns. Does that mean nothing carries over from the first campaign?

Carnifex

SasqWatch

September 19th, 2014, 04:57
Carnifex this question was already answered a few weeks back in a new FAQ.

Link - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects…s/posts/948620
Can I use my existing saves with the standalone version of Dragonfall? What about my characters?

Saves and characters created on the DLC version of Dragonfall won’t carry over to the Director’s Cut. Since we reworked and added so much to the Director’s Cut, loading a DLC save would cause parts of the game to not make sense - both functionally and narratively speaking.

Will the DLC and Director’s Cut use the same Editor and Steam Workshop?

Much like existing saves and characters, the new editor has some pretty significant changes. To make sure your content remains intact, the Director’s Cut will have a separate Editor and Steam Workshop. Missions made in the SRR editor, will be uploaded to the SRR Workshop. Likewise, missions made with the DC editor will be available in the DFC Workshop. We’re putting together instructions on how creators can “update” their existing UGC missions to work with the new editor and Steam Workshop, so keep an eye out for further information.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

September 19th, 2014, 06:54
Well, that sux. Hmmm……might just wait on this one, then. Back to Jade Empire for me!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Games Reviews & Comments » Shadowrun Returns