|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » WARNING: TES Online Install Deletes Files

Default WARNING: TES Online Install Deletes Files

April 11th, 2014, 15:22
Unlike a few of you I don't think TMG did anything wrong.
The installer did something an installer should never do.
Delete things, things it didn't put there, and without a question.

It's a game installer. It's not a wipe data software.

Did you ever click on some button on a site and downloaded some installer - that in the end doesn't really only install something? We have a name for such software. And we can't blame it on users.

And I just can't believe you're comparing your own oneman pet projects with something that was funded by hundreds of millions.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#21

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,406

Default 

April 11th, 2014, 16:08
I can add that I avoid using 2 or more hard disks in my computers for more than 15 years. It's just not worth it. In my opinion.

I stopped visiting many official forums because they are full of unhappy people. RPGWatch is one of the few where I can actually find some happy RPG fellow players.

I'd like to add a smile to my message to make it nicer
Lev is offline

Lev

Watcher

#22

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 71

Default 

April 11th, 2014, 16:22
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Very unfortunate bug, true.

But it's no more a part of the actual game than the uninstall bug from PoR was. PoR was terrible, true, but relating issues from the install software to the quality of the game is a sign of ignorance.
Can this video be related to the quality of the game and game design?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLBHjwCw088
Bubbles is offline

Bubbles

Watcher

#23

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 47

Default 

April 11th, 2014, 17:30
Originally Posted by Lev View Post
I stopped visiting many official forums because they are full of unhappy people. RPGWatch is one of the few where I can actually find some happy RPG fellow players.
You did good!
The only problem is… We're not talking about RPG in this thread, but about yet another grinding MMO.

Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Can this video be related to the quality of the game and game design?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLBHjwCw088
That's debatable.

MMOs are full of trolls. And cheaters. And boters. And all those kinds of people with problems who believe it's fun to ruin others' game.
If your plan is to play properly some MMO and not to troll/cheat/bot then you should, if possible, already have a few friends or as soon as possible team up with some other players.

Do not expect that the game owner will weed trolls out. Remember, trolls are also paying customers. The customer is always right.
You want your servers crowded? Make sure there is a possibility to troll. From a CEO perspective, sorry, this boxes loot thing brings more cash and as such it is a high quality design.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#24

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,406

Default 

April 11th, 2014, 17:36
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Can this video be related to the quality of the game and game design?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLBHjwCw088
Yeah, I'm seeing some interesting dungeon content in that video.

Too bad it has that annoying dude talking all the time. He seems to think strangers mean guarenteed nice and smart people, which is the first sign he's not very smart himself. Beyond that, he seems to think that because WoW had bosses drop loot - you can't place it in chests instead. That's the second sign he's not very smart.

A smart person understands that strangers come with few guarentees - and games aren't all designed in the same way.

If you take strangers along in WoW, chances are they'll "need" on all the loot and you'll get the same result.

But, you're right, that video does show some cool and atmospheric dungeon content.

I also really like how organized the list UI seems to be - and how easy it is to sort through your stuff in that way.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#25

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

April 11th, 2014, 17:36
That's so horrible that you could almost think it was a EA game.

I guess Bethesda is just as skilled at making installers as they are at making games.
GothicGothicness is offline

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#26

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,366

Default 

April 11th, 2014, 17:45
GG, excuse me, but EA doesn't delete stuff when you install their game.
Instead, their installer adds the everlurking and adds spamming, most probably spying piece of software in your tray bar.
Should we vote on who the lesser evil is?

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#27

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,406

Default 

April 11th, 2014, 19:01
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Too bad it has that annoying dude talking all the time. He seems to think strangers mean guarenteed nice and smart people, which is the first sign he's not very smart himself. Beyond that, he seems to think that because WoW had bosses drop loot - you can't place it in chests instead. That's the second sign he's not very smart.

A smart person understands that strangers come with few guarentees - and games aren't all designed in the same way.

If you take strangers along in WoW, chances are they'll "need" on all the loot and you'll get the same result.
.
In WoW you can kick him out and get anew person. Or at least see what's going on and 'need' too, rather than work on 'whoever opens it first' basis. And WoW is moving towards guaranteed good content from bosses, at least through tokens, which everyone gets to loot.
In any case people are often arseholes, but that's not a reason to create systems that cater to assholes, your post is mind-bogglingly apologetic.

And to get back on topic, deleting the whole folder is absurdly bad. I know that making installers is not fun at all (BTDT), but it's still part of process of releasing new software and you have to deal with it as professional. Letting something like this through is unbelievable for a professional publisher.
fungus is offline

fungus

Watchdog

#28

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 133

Default 

April 11th, 2014, 20:17
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
…but relating issues from the install software to the quality of the game is a sign of ignorance.
Did I do that? Re-reading my OP, I don't think I did.

The game itself seems ok so far. I'm still in the stage of seeing whether or not it will 'grip' me.

Yesterday I got to play most of the day. I was flipping back and forth between Skyrim and ESO to experience the 'vibe' of each game in real time to compare for myself.

ESO definitely has that MMO-y-ness about it. Quite a few quests so far seem wow-ish. But on the other hand, quite a few quests felt Skyrim-y as well. I also haven't paid much attention yet to my character stats, gear, or crafting abilities - just been working with what I have found as I'm still in the very early game - I think level 5 is what I am right now.

I am looking forward to playing more today and I suspect I'll give the game many many hours before I can tell if I really want to pursue it in the long term.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#29

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,022

Default 

April 11th, 2014, 20:45
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
I bet you deleted everything yourself by accident in this step.
No - because I had already noticed that files were gone BEFORE I deleted the game and had spent a good hour or so trying to figure out what happened to the files before doing anything further with the install.

Guys, it's possible I guess that I am to blame. But I've been around this block a good 40 years. It doesn't make me a genius or any more brilliant than any other user out there but I do have quite a lot of experience working with PCs and Windows OS in general.

The main reason I'm posting is simply to warn others that this happened. And then I found others on the net that it happened to as well - so this is not just isolated to me and my own experience.

If you want to call me a stupid ignorant American that doesn't appreciate the nuts and bolts of how software is developed then fine feel better about yourselves over my alleged ignorance

To everyone else interested in simply hearing what I thought would be a potentially helpful message - just be careful installing this game and I recommend backing up your files before installing just to make sure you have a solid recourse if this happens to you.

This really was just about making a potentially helpful post - wasn't bashing the game or making broad statements about programmers or development teams that's all on you guys.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#30

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,022

Default 

April 11th, 2014, 20:58
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
Did I do that? Re-reading my OP, I don't think I did.

The game itself seems ok so far. I'm still in the stage of seeing whether or not it will 'grip' me.

Yesterday I got to play most of the day. I was flipping back and forth between Skyrim and ESO to experience the 'vibe' of each game in real time to compare for myself.

ESO definitely has that MMO-y-ness about it. Quite a few quests so far seem wow-ish. But on the other hand, quite a few quests felt Skyrim-y as well. I also haven't paid much attention yet to my character stats, gear, or crafting abilities - just been working with what I have found as I'm still in the very early game - I think level 5 is what I am right now.

I am looking forward to playing more today and I suspect I'll give the game many many hours before I can tell if I really want to pursue it in the long term.
Did I say you did?

You're not the only person posting in this thread.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#31

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

April 11th, 2014, 20:59
Originally Posted by fungus View Post
In WoW you can kick him out and get anew person. Or at least see what's going on and 'need' too, rather than work on 'whoever opens it first' basis. And WoW is moving towards guaranteed good content from bosses, at least through tokens, which everyone gets to loot.
In any case people are often arseholes, but that's not a reason to create systems that cater to assholes, your post is mind-bogglingly apologetic.

And to get back on topic, deleting the whole folder is absurdly bad. I know that making installers is not fun at all (BTDT), but it's still part of process of releasing new software and you have to deal with it as professional. Letting something like this through is unbelievable for a professional publisher.
You can't just kick players in WoW, no - you have to be party leader for that.

You're not forced to stick with morons in ESO - so don't be silly and claim that you are.

Also, how is a game supposed to prevent morons from being morons? No system in the world can circumvent morons - at least not if it's going to be an interesting system.

If you're going to blame ESO for morons - you're blaming every multiplayer game in existence for it as well - including your favorite examples.

That makes you an unreasonable person.

Also, ESO isn't WoW - and it's not a loot-driven game at all. You're crafting the best gear - and finding it in dungeons is but a bonus.

Please understand something about the game you're talking about before you attack it as if it was another game entirely.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#32

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

April 11th, 2014, 21:04
I'd go ballistic if a game I was installing deleted other items, no matter if you cancel the install or not, that shouldn't happen. Of course I'm a total idiot where computers are concerned, but it doesn't sound like something that should happen. I tried Elder Scrolls online a month or 2 ago, and deleted it a few hours later. It seemed like an awful mmo, imo.
Carnifex is online now

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#33

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, CA
Posts: 1,877

Default 

April 11th, 2014, 21:07
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Did I say you did? You're not the only person posting in this thread.
Well, you lead with 'that's an unfortunate bug' so it seemed like you were addressing the topic.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#34

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,022

Default 

April 11th, 2014, 21:09
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
Well, you lead with that's an unfortunate bug so it seemed like you were addressing the topic. You seem annoyed by this threadů I'd like to un-annoy you if possible.
The topic, yes, not you.

I'm not annoyed - and it's completely fair to call out this bug as a big problem.

I do think it's unfortunate that some people are confusing the install process with the game itself, and that's what I'm trying to argue.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#35

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

April 11th, 2014, 21:32
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
The topic, yes, not you.

I'm not annoyed - and it's completely fair to call out this bug as a big problem.

I do think it's unfortunate that some people are confusing the install process with the game itself, and that's what I'm trying to argue.
Ok got it.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#36

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,022

Default 

April 11th, 2014, 22:38
Not being able to kick a player out of your instance for being a moron or troll or whatever, seems like a bad design to me.
Thrasher is online now

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#37

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10,309

Default 

April 12th, 2014, 00:04
It's probably a good idea to check if other players have similar problem with installer. If there's a handful users on ESO forum with the same experience, the answer is clear. If you are alone then it's a good time to double check your anti-virus and check your hard disks on errors with scandisk.
Lev is offline

Lev

Watcher

#38

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 71

Default 

April 12th, 2014, 00:11
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Not being able to kick a player out of your instance for being a moron or troll or whatever, seems like a bad design to me.
In many cases you can't finish the instance without your group member(s) anyway. Kicking someone in the middle of dungeon does not make a lot of sence. To avoid such kind of nuisance it's a good idea to make some friends or to find a good guild with trusted members.
Lev is offline

Lev

Watcher

#39

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 71

Default 

April 12th, 2014, 00:54
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
You're not forced to stick with morons in ESO - so don't be silly and claim that you are.

Also, how is a game supposed to prevent morons from being morons? No system in the world can circumvent morons - at least not if it's going to be an interesting system.

If you're going to blame ESO for morons - you're blaming every multiplayer game in existence for it as well - including your favorite examples.
Well, one might argue anyone who bought TESO at this point is slowing its transition into the free2play model and is a bit of a moron for that. The game has an item mall already and, in Australia, a $89 retail box, making it one of the most expensive games around. Especially so considering the lack of a gamers insight in its design:

How do you prevent morons? Well, the first thought that comes to mind is full PVP, full loot. He's not gonna steal the chests if you can kill him and take it back.

In WoW, say a BindOnEquip epic drops randomly. Someone who can't use it rolls for it and wins. He can just laugh at you as you plead, "omg please! I'd use that, its my main spec". Pity you can't kill him. If you see what actually happens when people are accountable for their actions, say Ultima Online or Darkfall, people are a lot cooler and go out of their way to avoid making enemies! Moron trolls won't even set foot in games where they can see their bullshit won't be tolerated and protected by the games design.

Of course, we could also take a lesson from other games and have separate loot "worlds". If you see loot - its yours! Just like diablo3. Make chests have individual loot for everyone rolled on chest_opened just like in Neverwinter online.

It seems pretty fair to blame TESO for not predicting these issues ahead of time when so many other, free2play, far lower budget, lower development time, games have.
SirJames is offline

SirJames

SirJames's Avatar
Sentinel

#40

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 564
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » WARNING: TES Online Install Deletes Files
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:09.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch