|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Tropico 5 - Steam Pre-Purchase Now Available

Default Tropico 5 - Steam Pre-Purchase Now Available

April 18th, 2014, 11:49
Kalypso announces in a new press release you can now pre-purchase Tropico 5 on Steam. Here is new trailer. and information on a special edition.

Link - http://store.steampowered.com/app/245620/

Spoiler – Press Release

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

April 20th, 2014, 13:25
Looks nice.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

April 21st, 2014, 02:30
I'm looking forward to it but I just played 4 again for a couple of weeks so I'm not real eager to buy it on day one.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

April 21st, 2014, 02:46
I'll snap it up pretty quickly if traffic/pathing is handled better. That could sort of kill large islands until you got subways which handled as a kind of a magic bandaid on the problems with roads.

jhwisner

SasqWatch

April 21st, 2014, 12:36
I'd still love to see an Tropico 1 remake or something that is like it. Everything slow, walking people, lots of "wusel effect".
To me, Tropico 1 was nearly perfect. Everything was fitting so well together … Especially the music. Bad that I was never able to get that soundtrack … It was sold on a site (because this was all licensed music) which only accepted credit cards. And no-one I knew had a credit card … And to me getting one only for this soundtrack was pointless …
Games seem to be faster nowadays, too. Like movies. (Compare Wickie then with Wickie now. Regarding speed of TV movies.)

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

April 26th, 2014, 10:52
Tropico 1 was taking a stance.

Since then, they have changed to a more neutral way of running things, it is the player who decided what kind of policies to apply. None go with particular bonuses or penalties.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

May 18th, 2014, 00:08
Well here is a new update with a one hour developer walk-through video.

The recording of the TROPICO 5 Walkthrough with the Developers from 15th of May 2014.

http://www.tropico5.com
http://www.facebook.com/worldoftropico
http:///www.twitch.tv/kalypsomedia

Global PC release: 23rd May 2014 (digital & retail)
US PC release: 3rd June 2014 (retail)

Bisser and Lubo from Haemimont Games, Sofia show you all about the new Tropico 5. Out on 23rd of May 2014.

In Tropico 5 game you return to the remote island nation of Tropico and expand your dynasty's reign from the early colonial period to beyond the 21st Century. You will be facing an all-new set of challenges, including advanced trading mechanics, technology and scientific research and for the first time in Tropico history — cooperative and competitive multiplayer for up to 4 players.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

May 18th, 2014, 00:17
Quill18 has a good video on it on YouTube.

I've always like the tropics series. It's the type of game you can play one or two scenarios in the weekend and then go on the next weekend….

Good city builder with a great atmosphere …

The different era might be great ..

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

May 18th, 2014, 06:42
I just started playing Tropico 4 a couple of weeks ago… LOVED IT! I specially liked that it has a campaign, as I don't care about playing scenarios or random maps, but playing the campaign was very entertaining.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

May 18th, 2014, 12:15
I bought the soundtracks to Tropico 1 and 2 as CDs from Daniel Indart back then. 3 albums called " Tropico - The Music", "Tropico - Paradise Island" and " Tropico 2 - Pirate Cove".

CDBaby are offering the three soundtracks as digital downloads and CD. They accept credit cards and PayPal. Alrik, would that work?
Last edited by Notorious; May 18th, 2014 at 12:15. Reason: Fixed typo

Notorious

Watcher
RPGWatch Donor

May 20th, 2014, 17:53
Sounds great ! Especially since I nowadays have PayPal.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 3rd, 2014, 03:33
So is anyone playing this? From the reviews I've read (and given the history of 4), I'm thinking about waiting for the complete edition.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

June 22nd, 2014, 00:37
Bump. Game is on sale until June 30th on Steam so I'm curious if others here think it was any good. The new features look nice but not sure that it is enough to get me interested. In past couple of years, I've liked strategy games where I have an avatar that has RPG-like features and looks like they are doing that here but seems like more effort was done on different timelines and multiplayer than core gameplay. Looking like a future steam sale at the moment.

figment

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

June 22nd, 2014, 04:24
The campaign seemed nice and it is goal oriented. The core game play is there. I wouldn't say it is weaker than the previous Tropico games (because of multiplayer/timelines).

I stopped about 2/3rds of the way in through the campaign. I discovered I was expanding too much and found out that I was rapidly approaching a (hidden) fixed population limit for the game.

Scrav

Sentinel

June 22nd, 2014, 10:14
The game falls flat in every department. They tried to recapture the ingredients of the charm of the previous versions (Tropico 3 and 4 since Tropico 1 and Tropico were much different) they fail. It looks like the same but got just that overused feel that spoil it.

Gameplay: probably the new things affect the MU side of the game (not tested)
For the SP side, it is the very same. After playing the tutorial, it appeared so close to what Tropico 4 is, I notched the difficulty to maximum except for disasters that I switched to near maximum.
In order to lengthen the campaign, it is divided over two islands, with each island befitting better one course in the scenarios.
I made the wrong choice.
It did not change: players who understood how the previous games play have zero challenge. It is just redoing the same as it was.

Story/campaign: I am not into story for video games so I am not demanding at all since I do not consider they should be taken into account for a video game quality.
Even with that, the story comes with no surprise. It is the same pitch as the previous and you can tell easily what is going up next.
The writing is neither good as the humour looks forced. They tried to keep to the formula and failed to freshen it up.
Campaign in terms of gameplay cant not be elaborated as elements are nothing new. Veterans find no difficulty in it and are not surprised in anything.

Sound/music: Music matters much for this type of games as it compensates for the lack of activity. They tried to maintain the line but they did not match the previous effort.
Sound: they had a lot of problems with voice over. They switched actors to perform voices etc. It seems that once again, they are on the same track.
Players who appreciate the original actor for the presidente (Tropico 4 vanilla) will hear the difference as they used the guy they also used for Modern Times the expansion.

Rushed: the game looks also rushed in many ways. One example: the models for the buildings are limited in number, one or two for each building. You can no longer cycle through them. For players who enjoy the aesthetics of their island, it destroys it.
When you read the mind of islanders, it appears that the feature might be rushed, there was supposed to be variety as they complain about the lack of variety.

I came back to Tropico 3 or 4, even before the expansions.
Tropico 5: finished campaign, one playthrough in sand box and it is over. All this to ensure that there were not something else that I missed. Game for shrewd people who might be shrewd enough to see that their first impressions are the right ones and stop to play after less than one hour.

The game might be something to look at in MU though.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

June 23rd, 2014, 10:46
Thanks for the reviews. It seems like one to skip or at least wait for based on feedback.

figment

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

August 5th, 2014, 13:32
Tropico 5 banned in Thailand

http://time.com/3079463/thailand-ban…rity-concerns/

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

August 5th, 2014, 15:30
Bah. When did ban of digital content help? Now it'll just be smuggled and pirated there.

Seriously, apart from that australian minister of communications or something like that, all governments consist of retarded or ignorant fools. You can't stop data flow nor you can censor it. Example is The Stick of Truth censored in some regions - in just a day or so there was unblocking content "fix". Or another example, people are already asking on the official Sims4 board for a cheat or mod that will remove the annoying japanese style blur on butts and fronts. IP bans, domain name seizures, shutdown of sites with non legal content, when did that stop anyone?

Instead of fighting the war already lost, sell stuff legally and apply taxes. Everyone will be happy.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

August 7th, 2014, 03:53
I still half expect to find out that Kalypso (sp?) paid Thailand to ban the game.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Tropico 5 - Steam Pre-Purchase Now Available