|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bethesda Softworks - Fallout Games on Steam

Default Bethesda Softworks - Fallout Games on Steam

April 24th, 2014, 05:53
Thanks to IncGamers I found news that Bethesda has re-rated Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics for a possible re-launch on Steam.
Potential Fallout players were frustrated to see Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel removed from Steam last year. The games were removed due to the game rights changing hands from Interplay to Zenimaxx.

At the time Bethesda stated they were working to get the games made available on both GOG and Steam but there’s not been any official word from Bethesda for months.

There could now be some movement to get this problem resolved. It appears that all three games have been re-rated by the ESRB which would suggest that Bethesda are working on getting the games made available for digital download once again.

There’s still no official word on when the games will return but hopefully we’ll hear more from Bethesda in the days ahead. What about a Fallout 4 announcement instead?
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

April 24th, 2014, 05:53
I occasionally deal with copyrights, patents and lawsuits in my line of work. I really cant express how politicians, lobbyists, corporate lawyers and other maggots are inhibiting the creative advancement of technology and innovation.

Not talking about profit. Im talking about the deliberate staged release of incremental technology to maximize return on each step of the process.

Frustrating to watch advancements buried or bought and shelved.
Don't mean to rant but this month has me pretty wired and this article reminded me of copyright squabbling.

Wisdom

Seeker
RPGWatch Team

April 24th, 2014, 06:49
I can only see this as great news, the more people that are exposed to the early Fallout games, the better. Hope it happens.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

April 24th, 2014, 14:54
And hope these games not only return to GOG but other Bethesda games follow in the future (at least the old ID Software ones…)

gandalf.nho

Huntress

April 24th, 2014, 15:52
i am pretty sure they were removed because anyone and everyone who wanted it has already bought it. its the old game of remove it from the market, create a fabricated controversy, then re-release it like they are the saviors of the free world.

cptbarkey

Sentinel

April 24th, 2014, 16:31
Bethesda has no intention of releasing any game on GOG.

If you want to avoid Steam, probably on eBay you can buy a CD edition with all three old Fallout games (1, 2 and tactics). I still have one, yes I threw in the thrash almost every games box, manual and CD I had, but somehow I can't do it with this one, it feels like a sacrilege.
And still I've rebought them on GOG and downloaded them, put them as a backup on my external HDD, feel free to say I'm crazy, in this case I admit I am.
It's like… I just want to make sure I can't lose those three games.

Oh and… If I ever find out who exactly cancelled Van Buren project and decided to force out console crap, I'll pay a massive amount of cash for the overatlantic ticket and will travel to spit on his grave!
If he isn't dead already, don't worry. It's easily solvable.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

April 24th, 2014, 18:40
Yep, i have my GOG versions of the classic Fallout titles locked away in a secure location as well just in case…

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

April 24th, 2014, 18:47
At the time Bethesda stated they were working to get the games made available on both GOG and Steam…
Simply not true. How can IncGamers claim that, when the older IncGamer article they're referring to as proof claimes otherwise:
"We’re working to return classic @Fallout games (1, 2, Tactics) to Steam and will provide an update when they’re ready to go."

They even ended said article with the following statement:
"With GOG’s titles being DRM free, the warning they issued last week indicates that these games will not be returning to GOG so Steam will be the place to pick these up on the future."

Siannah

Watcher

April 24th, 2014, 18:59
Tempest in a tea pot…

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

April 24th, 2014, 20:24
Said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think Bethesda will go back to GoG for anything in the foreseeable future due to the Witcher franchise moving into the open world genre, potentially creating competition with TES. Better to lose out on some funds from selling via GoG (which I'm sure is not just offset but exceeded by Steam sales) than to fund the enemy.

greywolf00

Sentinel

April 24th, 2014, 21:41
It holds the water. And actually there is another thing that looks like your point is true.

Besides GOG, Bethesda's games are not available on Origin.
On the other hand, Steam banned recent EA games completely and not only RPGs. Because of that Bethesda practically rules the genre on Steam.

Now one may think Steam did it deliberately to suck up to Bethesda but it's not the reason - the reason is EA's DLC. EA just doesn't want to sell DLC for real currency but is using suspicious nonexisting currencies so called "points".

EA is the only publisher that has problems with Steam.

Not good enough? Okay, try to buy Skyrim on Square Enix's inhouse store. You can't? Of course you can't, why would Bethesda have it listed among thousands of final fantasies?!

On uPlay you can buy both Skyrim and TESO, and Ubisoft does have M&M games of different genres, perhaps Bethesda just doesn't take those as a serious competition?

greywolf, I say you're right.

Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; April 24th, 2014 at 21:58.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

April 25th, 2014, 21:42
Originally Posted by greywolf00 View Post
Said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think Bethesda will go back to GoG for anything in the foreseeable future due to the Witcher franchise moving into the open world genre, potentially creating competition with TES. Better to lose out on some funds from selling via GoG (which I'm sure is not just offset but exceeded by Steam sales) than to fund the enemy.
Sorry man, LOL to think that Bethesda, in any way/shape/form is intimidated by the Witcher franchise or considers it at all in any business strategy they hold

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

April 25th, 2014, 22:34
Yeah, I got a kick out of that too. A game that sold less than a 10th of a Bethesda game is not competition. The only games that compete with Bethesda games are MMO's. That's why Zenimax is trying their hand at them.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

April 26th, 2014, 00:02
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
The only games that compete with Bethesda games are MMO's. That's why Zenimax is trying their hand at them.
And that's why Zenimax made the mediocre walking simulator as they wanted to take a piece of this cake:
http://www.gameskinny.com/fqhs2/leag…venue-for-2013

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bethesda Softworks - Fallout Games on Steam