|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Original Sin - Release Date, Patch and Blog

Default Original Sin - Release Date, Patch and Blog

April 25th, 2014, 15:02
The release date for Divinity Original Sin has been set to the 20th of June, which as they mention in their Kickstarter update is still spring.

Then there is the news on the new update

• Complete overhaul of loot generation matrix. Expect much cooler treasure.
  • Added 135 music tracks, including some all-time favourites from previous Divinity games
  • Added skill “Way of the Rogue” and a variety of new Rogue skills
  • Full overhaul of your Homestead at the End of Time
  • You can create different user profiles, so your little brother or sister can play, too.
  • Difficulty settings have been added, so players can pick which sort of experience they prefer.
  • Added formations, both in turn-based combat and in real-time, for optimal tactical positioning
  • All players playing Divinity: Original Sin can now chat with each other, making it easier to form multiplayer groups within the community.
  • Added an “Illusionist Mirror” through which you can change your player’s looks in-game
  • Replaced “repair” with “blacksmithing” and charm/intimidate/reason abilities by “charisma”
  • Amended stats of “Way of the Ranger” skill
  • Skill stats now level up with the characters, e.g. a level 1 flare is still useful at level 15.
  • Added plenty of new skill visual effects
  • Skills now have certain requirements. You can still learn a skill by boosting the relevant ability artificially, but once you lose the boost, you won’t be able to use the skill anymore.
  • Full overhaul of all lighting, shading, and zoom. Get up close and personal!
  • You can now give commands to each party member independently. Commands will be executed even if you’re focused on another party member.
  • Party members avoid traps. Traps can be disarmed with disarm trap kits (an alternative solution to blowing up the trap, which may destroy neighbouring objects).
  • Journal now tracks the recipes you’ve learned.
  • You can switch between party members while trading.
  • There is now an interface to assign companions to other players in multiplayer.
  • Several stability and performance fixes were made, in addition to loads of bug fixes. Most of the remaining networking issues should be solved now, too.
They are also looking back to the year after the Kickstarter with a video.

And for a more in-depth look at all that can't quite be summarised in 100 seconds (plus a sneak peak at the Collector's Edition), there is the following video:

And finally Swen has made a new blog entry on the power of crowd funding, the release date and the state of the game.

[quote]I’m aware that there’s a lot of negative out on the internet regarding Steam: Early Access, but reflecting on my earlier blog entry in which I was pondering whether or not to release Divinity:Original Sin via Early Access, I think the positives for us far outweighed the negatives, and I think our game is an example of Early Access being a boon both for the developer and the players.

Barring a disaster, we’ll be shipping Divinity:Original Sin in 6 to 8 weeks, the target date being the day before the next solstice, June 20th.

I know we lost a lot of credibility in the release date department, but this particular deadline is pretty much set in stone now, if only for the reason that if we postpone releasing again, we’ll be taking turns at the divorce lawyer. Of course there’s also that other reason and that’s that we’re slowly approaching the stage where the game will actually be ready.

It remains hard for me to figure out what the correc…More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 25th, 2014, 15:02
Great comparison of before and after! The UI is especially nice as the original UI reminded me a lot of the cumbersome UI in Divine Divnity.

Looking forward to the Collector's Edition update in "the next two weeks".

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

April 25th, 2014, 15:13
June - no holidays for me in June … grrrr

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

April 25th, 2014, 15:35
Larian has managed the post-fundraising portion of their kickstarter probably better than anyone else so far. In terms of providing substantive updates that are also fun to watch/read they've done an excellent job. In terms of showing backers what their money is going towards and just what sort of difference their backing has made in the game development, I don't think anyone has done better than them.

InXile might have mastered the fund-raising part and their campaigns serve as good examples of how to raise money, but Larian's kickstarter serves as the one to point to as an example of how to handle things after the money has come in.

jhwisner

SasqWatch

April 25th, 2014, 15:35
I'm both sad and happy, because I have to wait for another 2 months and because they have 2 more month for polishing.

Morrandir

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

April 25th, 2014, 15:54
Myrthos,

Is there any word on when we will be asked to send in information for fundraiser rewards?

gozioso

Watchdog

April 25th, 2014, 16:25
I've sent a PM on that a long time ago

Edit: … But forgot to add you to the backers list Corrected that now

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 25th, 2014, 18:16
Great news. Though I probably won't get to it until the weather turns bad in October.

Ovenall

Keeper of the Watch

April 25th, 2014, 18:46
YAHOO!!

June can't get here soon enough!

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

April 25th, 2014, 18:48
I finally bought this but haven't played it that much since I was kind of expecting something like this big patch (that's not save compatible) - that and finally getting MMX and despite it's many flaws (horrendous loading times, graphical lag, unity engine suckiness, quest oddities) it's addictive as heck.

I'm looking forward to playing this game more intensely though.

And this patch is huge and filled with goodness - very nice work by the devs.

Voqar

PC Gaming Snob

April 25th, 2014, 21:09
Well, so much for June. Maybe I'll see summer sometime in August, though hopefully I still won't be done.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

April 25th, 2014, 21:58
Looking forward to it! Larian Studios is great. (What jhwisener said.)

Now to finish MMX (on tail end of Act 3).

Now watch, Lords of Xulima will release in June too.

zentr.

Watcher

April 25th, 2014, 23:03
Looks incredible and neat that we now have a release date.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

April 26th, 2014, 00:16
Argh! I'll be far from my gaming rig most of the summer, so it's going to be autumn for me.
Although… I'm quite tempted to hold out on actually playing that until a truly definite version is out including the day/night cycles with NPCs reacting to that which they recently cut for dev cost/time reasons. Maybe they'll come up with a director's cut next year, or will I have to wait years for some Wesp-alike to come along with a fan patch 9.0? Hmmm…

Moorkh

little backer that could
RPGWatch Donor

April 26th, 2014, 01:01
I seriously doubt you'll need a fan patch 9.0.
It's not in hands of an evil publisher who'd have released the bugs galore version of this game 6 months ago as a final product.

Still, your waiting might turn as a good thing! Maybe, but just maybe, you finally get to play Grimoire!

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

April 26th, 2014, 02:21
Hmmm, I'm not so sure I like the merging of reason/charm/intimidate. Those gave my characters more flavor.

Originally Posted by Dr. A View Post
June can't get here soon enough!
Nooo! I'm behind schedule at work!!

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

April 26th, 2014, 08:07
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Hmmm, I'm not so sure I like the merging of reason/charm/intimidate. Those gave my characters more flavor
Thay're not completely merged - you still use them separately.

Bundyo

Watcher

April 26th, 2014, 08:22
June 20 and 23 reserved for PTO then
Good to know that Swen's marriage looks safe

JonNik

SasqWatch

April 27th, 2014, 11:20
Damn, that video gave me goosebumps. This just moved up a notch to my most anticipated of the year. Can we change our votes? Brilliant Larian.

tomasp3n

Watchamacallit?

April 28th, 2014, 19:57
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
I've sent a PM on that a long time ago

Edit: … But forgot to add you to the backers list Corrected that now
Thanks, but you never answered my original question. Would you please forward me the original PM? FYI, I won the "Name a Pet" reward in the raffle.

gozioso

Watchdog

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Original Sin - Release Date, Patch and Blog