|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » CD Projekt RED - Interview @ PCGamesN

Default CD Projekt RED - Interview @ PCGamesN

May 12th, 2014, 11:55
PCGamesN had the chance to interview CD Projekt RED, and talk about how the developer fought the publishers to win their independence.

As the biggest publishers and developers gathered in LA for E3, CD Projekt’s founders were in Agoura Hills signing the most expensive signature of their lives. They returned home the same week to Poland to announce a deal: THQ would promote and distribute The Witcher 2 on Xbox 360 in Europe. Another victory for the one time industry outsiders who decided to make RPGs.

Marcin Iwiński escaped to England for “nine days of Zen”. Michal Nowakowski holidayed in Thailand with his wife. And neither of them was the slightest bit aware that another major publisher was busy preparing a court case against them.
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

May 12th, 2014, 11:55
The pair flew to Agoura Hills, and had “the most shitty meeting” of their business lives.

“It was like hitting a brick wall with your head,” remembered Nowakowski.

“And the brick wall was holding a gun to our head,” added Iwiński.

Namco were impeccably polite, just as Phil Harrison had been years before. But between the hat-tipping, they were able to convey to CD Projekt the severity of their situation - that if the studio didn’t pay up, “they were going to destroy us in court”.
And who did CD Projekt pick as their partners for The Witcher 3 in Europe? Namco Bandai.
What??

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Morrandir

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

May 12th, 2014, 12:12
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
What??
Yeah i stopped trying to make sense of it.

Thorwyn99

Watchdog

May 12th, 2014, 12:42
You two must be living under a rock as it was announced Namco Bandai was one of the distributors for Witcher 3 last year. This is old news by now, and it's called business.

Let me simplify it for you they don't let past mistakes get in the way of making money.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls." - Couchpotato

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

May 12th, 2014, 12:55
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
You two must be living under a rock as it was announced Namco Bandai was one of the distributors for Witcher 3 last year. This is old news by now, and it's called business.

Let me simplify it for you they don't let past mistakes get in the way of making money.
Oh yeah no i know it's been for a long while and it's all about Namco making the best offer and business again.
I have a feeling they are gonna get screwed over again though, they seem a bit too naive to deal with people as ruthless as Namco.
What i can't make sense of is, no matter how good the deal is, why would you put your head between the lions jaws for a second time ?

Edit: In the end it doesn't matter, as long as it's drm free on GOG i'm set anyways.
Last edited by Thorwyn99; May 12th, 2014 at 13:52.

Thorwyn99

Watchdog

May 12th, 2014, 17:27
Originally Posted by Thorwyn99 View Post
What i can't make sense of is, no matter how good the deal is, why would you put your head between the lions jaws for a second time ?
Because, this time, CD Projekt guys think that they are more in the position of a lion tamer and less in a position of a Christian in an arena. If they are right or wrong only time will tell.

zahratustra

SasqWatch

May 12th, 2014, 17:49
Actually, this article was not an interview, it was transcribed from this talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTCSGOWdFms

And CDP explain why they went with Namco even after that BS.

Paul

Watchdog

May 12th, 2014, 18:20
Nicely spotted Paul!

zahratustra

SasqWatch

May 12th, 2014, 22:03
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Actually, this article was not an interview, it was transcribed from this talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTCSGOWdFms

And CDP explain why they went with Namco even after that BS.
Seen the video already as I posted it two weeks ago, and this is old news to me Paul. Anyway the link site I get the news from called it an interview. So an Interview it is.

Here is the link for the video- http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?newsbit=26769

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls." - Couchpotato

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » CD Projekt RED - Interview @ PCGamesN