|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » 1990

Default 1990

May 12th, 2014, 02:24
So spring 1990, college was coming to an end.

I bought myself a new 486DX33 with a full meg video card and 4meg's memory.
The internet was still fun to mess around with and show people what you could find on there and was still Dos.

It was so easy to make a boot disc to play whatever game you had just bought and label it and put it to the side for when you needed it to boot up that game.

Now I have an I7 top of the line computer and things seem so much harder at times. Mind you I haven't kept on top on playing around with operating systems like I use to but….

Since updating to windows 8.1 what a pain in the @#$.

CelticFrost

Sentinel

May 12th, 2014, 07:00
I've not had one problem playing games with 8.1 yet.

Steam games are easier than ever before.
Gog games are even easier than that.

I used to have to mess with settings all the time, now I don't.

I wasn't playing games as early as 1990 but it's really become easier for me.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

May 12th, 2014, 08:53
Spring 1990. One year left of high school. Had an Atari 800XL with cartridges of Digdug, Donkey Kong Jr, and a few other games. I did not have a disk drive, but I would program BASIC into it and just leave it on for weeks until I had it working. Then turn it off/on to start on another.

Lord_Brownie

Watcher

May 12th, 2014, 14:41
1990 I was a junior in college. I had recently given up on computer gaming after my beloved C64 was overshadowed by the IBM PC & consoles. Because PC's were way out of my price range I bought a Sega Genesis. This would later be replaced by an SNES which imo was far superior.

I regret having missed out on all the cool CRPGs that were coming out during this period, however. I would return to PC gaming in 1995.

EvilManagedCare

Sentinel

May 12th, 2014, 17:57
I do not miss needing to pay attention to memory and IRQ settings at all.

Lets not forget winconfig.ini, autoexec.bat and system.ini. I prefer the hands off approach.

The new Metro UI I don't don't like much at all.

Toff

Sentinel

May 12th, 2014, 18:16
Spring 1990..I was not even 3 years old, I don't remember a thing

Speak your own words of wisdom instead of quoting someone else's.

NyxVampiria

Semidevilish

May 12th, 2014, 19:22
Hehe, 1990 … two years before I finished U. The Euro XT at work had Pacman and Bard's Tale, the rest were mainframes.
I had bought a used Amstrad PCW for writing my thesis IIRC, but the only game that came with it was Chess, and I always lost. My true gaming system was a used Atari 2600 with 20 or so cartridges. Dig Dug, Spike's Peak, Vanguard, Moon Patrol … Moon Patrol! Oh the memories …

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 12th, 2014, 19:37
I don't remember quite well the year 1990 but during spring I was most certainly playing Prince of Persia all nights long with a friend on the same PC !

Gloo

Sentinel

May 12th, 2014, 20:21
High, extended, upper memory, dma, irq, boot disks, batch files, yuck!!

Pc gaming and OS's have never been easier. Most times it's plug and play.

If your specifically talking about metro there are 3rd party apps to make so you pretty much never have to see it again and some are even free and much easier to use than all the 1990 mumbo jumbo that was required. Windows key+ dlc or x will take you just about anywhere you'd need to go in windows.

I suppose it's all about what your used to and your preferences but i personally never want to return to 1990's pc OS's or gaming.

sakichop

SasqWatch

May 12th, 2014, 20:35
1990… My ninth year in the UK. I have just replaced my trusty Commodore 64 with an Amiga 500 (couldn't afford a PC) and was busy playing Space Quest III, Ultima V, Elite, Colonel's Bequest, Railroad Tycoon… Life was good

zahratustra

SasqWatch

May 12th, 2014, 20:55
1990…..

That must have been the first or second year with my very own Amiga 500. Oh, those were the days.

So many great games from around that time. Two games I remember being particularly in love with would be Captive and Champions of Krynn. I played Captive until my eyes bled - and then I played it some more

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

May 12th, 2014, 21:36
LOL we were young and unspoiled and the world of computer gaming was new and exciting so yes, those were the days!

zahratustra

SasqWatch

May 12th, 2014, 22:18
By 1990, gaming was the furthest thing from my mind.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

May 12th, 2014, 22:27
1989-1990 I had C64. 1991 I got amiga 500. 1992 I got 486DX33. Ultima underworld was one of the first games.

Ive had i7 since 2008 and it still runs all games without any problems thanks to GTX680. Best purchase I have ever made. Never had issues. When I got it I made room for four operating systems but since of 2008 I have only installed three windows xp, vista and windows 7. Only use seven nowadays. Never installed eight to the fourth slot. I dont see the need.

I think things are easy nowadays compared to 90s when I had i.e windows 3.1 + windows upgrade or windows 98. Especially the latter I reinstalled so many times I lost count. I remember plug and play been called plug and pray. I learned all kinds of things about mobos that were not even documented. Those days never come back and thats good.

I have never reinstalled any os to my latest pc. The bluescreens I have had with my windows7 can be counted with single hand (Not even sure I have ever had any). It simply works.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke

zakhal

HomelyRebel

May 13th, 2014, 06:47
I'm doing some SharePoint server command line maintenance/tweaking nowadays where my DOS experience of back then comes in handy.

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » 1990